Bear Defense in Alaska

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bear Defense in Alaska

Post by kimwcook »

This topic makes my argument why I carry a big bore handgun with me in the woods besides my rifle. If a bear is rolling me around trying to take pieces off of me, the bbl. of a rifle is going to be hard to get in place to take a shot or make a follow up shot. A 454 Casull or 475 Linebaugh with high end loads will travel clear through any bear with power to spare.
Old Law Dawg
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Hears my take on the shoulder shot. I would only take it when the animal is turned sideways because with a 540 grainer for example you can smash through the bone and cripple the animal and also take out the vitals. The animal cannot run into the brush and hide and in less then a min or so he dies. I would think... If being charged and time permitted I would drop to one knee, aim between the eyes. If standing aim for the hump trying to make that spin shot. If one take's a shoulder shot on a charge it seems to me that you take a chance on missing because there is not much room for error, and you just might jerk the trigger. If you are a very good shot and you don't rattle easy then go for it. This reminds me of tactics in the army everyone has their own plan of attack. But thats OK!!:lol:
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

I reckon being up agains't a Grizzly, which I have personally experienced, is like Politics :lol:
Everybody has got thier own perspective. A Professional Grizzly hunter and friend advised me to always shoot and break those shoulders, but believe me :shock: You will only have time to react and your first shot will be the determining factor. When a bear is charging you, his head is bobbing all over the place and they are fast, very fast. Unbeliveably fast! You can't run or hide, but must stand your ground and shoot...There's not enough time to even take your saftey off much less get down on one knee...glad I had my .338 Win Mag Pre-64 Model 70 (three position safety in the fire position) that morning. My .338 loaded with 250 Grain Speer Grand Slams @2600fps dropped my Grizz like a bad habit. Instantly!
However, I traded up to a .458 Win Mag after that experience :lol: And now pack a Marlin 1895GS which I shipped to Alaska for my Son-in-Law to use. I plan on hunting up there with him in 2009 and 2010...he would like a Grizzly rug on his wall. I told him to practice instinctive shooting at 50 yards and less until he gets good...real good. :)
Hope he gets to take a shot at 100yrds :) I'm thinking of buying him a .338 Win Mag to use for Dall Sheep...That way I can pack my Marlin GS for obvious reasons.

Who ever is standing at the end of the day is what really counts when dealing with a Grizzly.
I'm vertical and the Grizzly(Sow) is on my wall. Enough said...

Best wishes...
Semper Fi
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Slick13 wrote:How close do you have to get ti hit the bear in the nose?
:lol: :lol:

And you better hope he's not breathing out of his mouth too! :wink:

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Jarhead wrote:I reckon being up agains't a Grizzly, which I have personally experienced, is like Politics :lol:
Everybody has got thier own perspective. A Professional Grizzly hunter and friend advised me to always shoot and break those shoulders, but believe me :shock: You will only have time to react and your first shot will be the determining factor. When a bear is charging you, his head is bobbing all over the place and they are fast, very fast. Unbeliveably fast! You can't run or hide, but must stand your ground and shoot...There's not enough time to even take your saftey off much less get down on one knee...
That's why, on the advice of several folks, some from the North Slope, I stopped carrying a slug gun/.45-70 and carried a FA .454 loaded up with Hard WFNs (350gr LBT, 31gr H110) with advice to shoot for the shoulders/collar-bone (frontal charge).

I figure 2200ftlbs of Bone Crunch that I could reasonably snap-shoot would do the trick. :twisted:
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Da bears made another raid on the home in Salcha last night. Charged the homeowner as he exited his P/U and chase him into the house. They then proceded to pace the porch and push on the door.

Resident used .300 winmag from bedroom window. Killed all three.

Bet da bears wish he had pepper spray. :shock:

Chalk me up as a CNS shooter IF they are pointed at me. A miss to either side will "hopefully" break a shoulder. have trapperized 45/70GG for just such an occasion. Have been bluff charged twice now. Aint no fun. Durn things...

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Jarhead,

I'm not arguing that your defense shooting wasn't good, it obviously worked out great for you.

I am saying that there are others who got mauled by a bear after getting non-cns shots into it. And I am saying that the cns shot is more of a sure thing than any other shot, it's the most predictable because it shuts the switch off.

I've been blessed that I've never had to stop a bear; but they scare the spit out of me and I trust them only slightly more than osama/reid/pelosi. There is plenty of bear lore to go around, and I've done my best not to contribute to it.

I carry a DA Redhawk because of the, well, double action trigger. If I have to go to the go to, I don't want to be thumbing the hammer in the time of trial. I carry it cross-draw so I can retrieve it with whichever hand isn't in the bear's esophegus. I should put a lanyard ring on it and chain it up like a trucker's wallet...,

Regards,

Grizz
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

One of my Army buddies had a "Larynx" gun. It was one of those cheap .45LC/.410 single shot derringers that he loaded with a .45LC load that would likely detonate in anything with a longer barrel. He slept with it in his sleeping bag for the sole purpose of shoving it down a bear's throat and/while pulling the trigger.

He figured if he was going to lose body parts to the bear anyway, it might as well be "dramatic". :twisted:

(BTW... this same gentleman won (tied really) in an unscripted wrestling match with a performing bear... :shock: )
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Grizz wrote:Jarhead,

I'm not arguing that your defense shooting wasn't good, it obviously worked out great for you.

I am saying that there are others who got mauled by a bear after getting non-cns shots into it. And I am saying that the cns shot is more of a sure thing than any other shot, it's the most predictable because it shuts the switch off.

I've been blessed that I've never had to stop a bear; but they scare the spit out of me and I trust them only slightly more than osama/reid/pelosi. There is plenty of bear lore to go around, and I've done my best not to contribute to it.

I carry a DA Redhawk because of the, well, double action trigger. If I have to go to the go to, I don't want to be thumbing the hammer in the time of trial. I carry it cross-draw so I can retrieve it with whichever hand isn't in the bear's esophegus. I should put a lanyard ring on it and chain it up like a trucker's wallet...,

Regards,

Grizz
Grizz,

I too packed a cross draw DA Redhawk .44 mag when I lived up there....just in case my rifle got knocked out of my hand. I don't trust em' either... :) Yes, there have been many people mauled due to poor bullet placement...In my case, I just reacted as quickly as possible. A CNS shot would have worked for sure...I shot from the hip on my first shot, so didn't get a chance to aim, however instinctive shooting(point and shoot) works pretty good and did take out the right shoulder, which immobilzed the bear. Didn't have time to think much, but a lot of thought went through my mind... My first shot rolled the Bear. This allowed me the time to aim and take out those shoulders...Both of them. Scared the spit out of me too...It broke through the brush from 20 yards...I learned a lot that day.
The fella I was hunting with was still in the sack in camp and would not come out of the tent after I told him I had a Grizzly down. Never hunted with him again.
Semper Fi
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Jarhead,
when you go up, just let me know; you can take my 1895 XTR, then both you guys can have one
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

mescalero1 wrote:Jarhead,
when you go up, just let me know; you can take my 1895 XTR, then both you guys can have one
Thanks Mescalero...I'll keep that in mind Brother. I was going to take my 1937 Model 71 "Short Rifle," but Alaska is very hard on blued weapons. Stainless is the only way to go...up in Alaska anyway, especially if you hunt the Coastal areas...
Semper Fi
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Do it Bro,
whats better for a rifle, walking in Alaska; or sitting in a gun safe in New Mexico?
You still got the Redhawk?
Maybe you should take my Cold Steel Bowie also?
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Nope, sold my Redhawk when I moved back to the Lower 48. Wish I hadn't now, but I can always PU another...heck, I might even buy my Son-in-Law one.
My Daughter and her husband were at the rifle range with my 1895GS 45-70 /457WW Mag and the Range Master told my Daughter, "to let him know if she ever gets divorced, so that he can pick up a nice Marlin GS." :lol: I guess all the boys were drooling over it. :)

Perhaps you would like to Hunt Alaska with us? It's expensive, especially the Bush flights...Last time I hunted Alaska was 2003... I flew out in a Beaver @ $450 per hour...ouch!

I'm not going for me...I got plenty of critters on my wall already, so I go to help others get thier game and to do "bear protection." With hopes that I won't have to....
Semper Fi
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Always wanted to go to Alaska, but I need to concentrate on the homestead & shop for a while.
But the offer on the rifle stands.
Carly & Lindsay would be mad at me if Dad came home with parts chewed off.
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

mescalero1 wrote:Always wanted to go to Alaska, but I need to concentrate on the homestead & shop for a while.
But the offer on the rifle stands.
Carly & Lindsay would be mad at me if Dad came home with parts chewed off.
Thanks Brother...
Semper Fi
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That lummox of a Range Officer really think that girl would let her Dad's rifle go?
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

mescalero1 wrote:That lummox of a Range Officer really think that girl would let her Dad's rifle go?
:lol: Probably a good thing I wasn't there to respond...
Semper Fi
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I'd say
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

in summary bear spray works just like it doesn't on an agitated drug loaded perp leaving only one solution shoot or if you're a member of the sierra club,peta,fund for animals,nature conservancy,earth first,humane society show the bear your membership card!
Last edited by scr83jp on Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Well I did not think this thread would go on as long as it has. Great discussion on (Bear Defense). Being a lower48er, I have gained alot from it and even got some good bear Pic's. I too like most would love to go back to Alaska someday. I was their in the 80's at the Black Rapids training center for mountain school with SF, and Ranger units ( and as I said someday. My wife hates the outdoors but loves to shoot on the range with her guns. I will most likely die here in Tennessee shooting whitetails and Turkeys. (Great Stuff though) .
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Tennessee, every time a "bear" thread starts, they go on for weeks. Seems to be a favorite topic of discussion on any number of forums. Luckily here, there are quite a few folks who have actually taken bear while hunting, and more than a couple that have taken them in charges. If you ever want some good belly laughs, you should check out some of the "bear" threads on forums peopled by non hunter gun enthusiasts. Questions like, "what 9mm ammo is good to stop the charging grizzly I will meet on my cruise to Alaska?" come up more often than you would think. And heaven forbid you try to tell some mall ninja that his favorite high capacity concealed carry gun isn't really ideal. But like I said, it does make for some entertaining reading.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

jeepnik wrote:Tennessee, every time a "bear" thread starts, they go on for weeks. Seems to be a favorite topic of discussion on any number of forums. Luckily here, there are quite a few folks who have actually taken bear while hunting, and more than a couple that have taken them in charges. If you ever want some good belly laughs, you should check out some of the "bear" threads on forums peopled by non hunter gun enthusiasts. Questions like, "what 9mm ammo is good to stop the charging grizzly I will meet on my cruise to Alaska?" come up more often than you would think. And heaven forbid you try to tell some mall ninja that his favorite high capacity concealed carry gun isn't really ideal. But like I said, it does make for some entertaining reading.
You can get out of a grizzly attack with a 9mm. All it takes is a well placed shot in the knee cap of your hunting partner, then run like hell. :twisted:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

jkbrea, too funny. Over the years I suspect that's why hunting partner numbers dwindle.
Old Law Dawg
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

jkbrea wrote:
jeepnik wrote:Tennessee, every time a "bear" thread starts, they go on for weeks. Seems to be a favorite topic of discussion on any number of forums. Luckily here, there are quite a few folks who have actually taken bear while hunting, and more than a couple that have taken them in charges. If you ever want some good belly laughs, you should check out some of the "bear" threads on forums peopled by non hunter gun enthusiasts. Questions like, "what 9mm ammo is good to stop the charging grizzly I will meet on my cruise to Alaska?" come up more often than you would think. And heaven forbid you try to tell some mall ninja that his favorite high capacity concealed carry gun isn't really ideal. But like I said, it does make for some entertaining reading.
You can get out of a grizzly attack with a 9mm. All it takes is a well placed shot in the knee cap of your hunting partner, then run like hell. :twisted:

Yea, forgot that old trick. Works better than running shoes.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

You got that right! I've checked out some of those sites over time and all it did was get me all worked up. Sounded like a bunch of kids talking.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I think of pepper spray on bears the same as people. If they are not in for a fight it works fine (on the black bears here or all of the people I have used it on) but some of them with their mind made up all that will work is a CNS shot.
It is not the critic who counts