Marlin is going back to the factory....again

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin is going back to the factory....again

Post by draperjojo »

I bought a new Marlin 39A and had some problems with it right out of the box. I called the factory and they were very nice on the phone and turned the gun around in 10 days. They fixed 2 of the 3 issues. The problem I'm having is it still misfires 10% of the time. It consistently misfires and I've run 3 different brands of ammo through the gun. I was talking to one of my customers about shipping it back to the factory and he mentioned he had just bought a Marlin and had sent his back to the factory because he couldn't sight it in. He noticed the factory had drilled and tapped his barrel for a scope incorrectly. Instead or replacing his barrel they just drilled some more holes in it that were parallel to the barrel this time and sent it back. Anyone else having issues?
leverhunter
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Marlin is going back to the factory....again

Post by leverhunter »

I have had problems with my 1894 44 mag bought NIB in Jan 08. I have yet to fire 30 round through it. After a couple of trips to the Canadian warranty shop we have finally concluded that the problem is a "soft" lever which bends out of alignment just by working the action. I am awaiting a new lever, ordered by the warranty shop to then be sent to me to install. Hope it gets here soon. Not sure if I will keep this rifle or sell it as I am not sure I can trust it to function in a crunch. It was purchased as a hiking/camp gun.
Live to hunt and fish, your life depends upon it!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I bought a 39A three years ago and had to send it back, it shot way to one side. With the tang sight racked all the way over, and the front sight tapped over the other way to the max, it would just get on target. But it felt awkward, like I was twisting the rifle to shoot it.

Sighting down the barrel you could see it was crooked where it met the receiver. I sent it back and they reassembled it. It shoots quite well now, although it does jam a lot.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

So far (knock on wood) every Marlin I've had has been a good one. I've had about ten over the years, maybe half them in the past five years, and one (XLR) bought this year.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

The only real problem I have with my Marlin is I dont shoot it enough!!!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I'll give Marlin another opportunity to make it right. I'm just a little disappointed that this is one of the more expensive .22 leveraction guns available, and one I would like to consider as a future family heirloom. A friend of mine had bought another brand lever in .22 and it was fine right out of the box with never a misfire at half the price.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

draperjojo wrote: Instead or replacing his barrel they just drilled some more holes in it that were parallel to the barrel this time and sent it back.

Wow! I would not have accepted that. I would insist on a new barrel.

There seems to be an unusually high number of reported problems with new Marlins. Most of them seem to be corrected in short order though.
NRA Life Member
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

The first two problems were fixed quickly by Marlin. When I got the gun you could only remove the tube feed with vise grips and they fixed that. The action was REALLY stiff and seemed to catch in a few spots and they fixed that also on the first trip back in to the factory. I expect the UPS call tag to turn up tomorrow so I can send it off, and hopefully when it comes back I won't have misfires.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

draperjoj,

That is not good news. I hope they do make it right for you and your heirs.

Now, this here verbage caught my attention:
draperjojo wrote:A friend of mine had bought another brand lever in .22 and it was fine right out of the box with never a misfire at half the price.
:?: :!: Dare I say the "H" word? ...hmmmmm? :!: :?:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Yes Shawn, You can say the "H" word, cause thats what he was shooting.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Marlins cust service is usually very good.
I dont much buy that they drilled 2 new holes in the barrel & sent it back that way. Especially since the scope holes are on the reciever. Do a search & you will find many cases where they swap barrels & other major parts to make it right. They make & sell ALOT of guns & some lemons are going to get thru.

I just got my 10 year old a Henry & it is a very nice gun. But it is what it is & its not the gun a 39 is by any stretch of the imagination. That said I was impressed by it & am going to order metal bands tomorrow.
The kid dont care but I think guns should be made of metal.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Leverdude wrote:Marlins cust service is usually very good.
+1

From what I've experienced first hand and also read here and elsewhere, Marlin's customer service is top notch. They do have quality problems now and again - it's what you are going to see from any company making "affordable" products, and though the Model 39 is on the high end of pricing for lever-action .22's, it is, as with the rest of Marlin's line, very affordable for the majority of Americans. They will make things right to your satisfication - you just need to give them the opportunity to do so.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

The UPS call tag arrived over the weekend, so it headed back to the factory this morning. Now they have their opportunity to make it right.