Question about how marlin receivers are made?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Question about how marlin receivers are made?

Post by BenT »

I've been reading about some wildcat rounds that refer to using late model marlins with strong receivers.

Did Marlin change there forging process for their receivers to make them stronger?

And if so about when did this happen? Because I have Glenfield as a project gun . Thanks
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Did Marlin change there forging process for their receivers to make them stronger?]

Not AFAIK. I don't know about the XLR models' particulars, though.

That said, however, there are some internet experts :roll: that claim the later guns "must be" made of stronger steel than vintage guns - say, from 1980 :lol: - and also espouse rechambering .35 Remingtons out to .358 Winchester. :shock:

I don't think a Glenfield's time of production would fit, anyway.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Thanks Pete, I know the newer xlr with 308MX have different barrel threads to help with higher pressures.

I was looking at a 7mm STE . Which is a 307 necked down straight wall with a 40 degree shoulder like ackleys.
I didn't read the article out of shooting times magazine. So I'm not sure what rifle they recommended when they developed this cartridge.

I was reading about in "Cartridges of the World"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ben,

IIRC they used standard Marlin for that conversion to 7mm STE.

Another thing Marlin has said they are doing to handle the pressures of their new .308 round is to tighten the tolerances in fitting locking, bolt and headspace.

I imagine that, as a rule, the older a gun the less well the QC was done on the steel manufacture side. Many things have contributed to very good consistency in steel, batch-to-batch, and in heat treating. Properly fit up, I think your Glenfield will be just fine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sometimes folks get confused between "early" Marlins, and late Marlins, when they talk 336 vs. old flat bolts receivers like the 36, 1936, or 1893's.
I honestly don't believe there is anything better about a 2007 Marlin 336, vs. a 1947 336.
I've seen some old 336's in .30-30 Ackley Improved that were really being hotrodded, and showe no signs of giving up, up having excess headspace.
The early flat bolts with their open side receivers were just not as strong a design.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

That was kind of my thought marlinman . But they could of stated it as any model 336 has astrong receiver. Some TV show was in the Marlin plant doing a tour. I beleive they asked about improving the strength of their receiver . The Marlin spokespersons response was that they was no reason for it because of what it is loaded for works just fine. So he never mentioned anytime of using an improved process for strengthening their receivers.