Reloading-"Head-space or Chamber Gauge"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Reloading-"Head-space or Chamber Gauge"

Post by Dastook »

Does anyone know of a good and ACCURATE head-space or chamber gauge. I am looking for one that can be used in calibers from 22-250 thru .338 and 45-70. It would also have to measure many in between. I found a few on the web but have no experience with any of them to know if they are any good.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading-"Head-space or Chamber Gauge"

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have this one.
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_sessio ... 7ed0c3ee5b

Seems to work just fine. :D
BestLever
Levergunner

Post by BestLever »

Hello Riflemen-The Hornady headspacing gauges are simple to use and very accurate. They make quite a few different but related chamber measuring tools and they come in generic and can be ordered rifle specific for very precise measurements. Hornady purchased this stuff from a company called Stoney Point and these products have a long successful record. These tools will help put you in charge of quality ammo :) Life is good, BestLever
Life is Good,

BestLever
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

A quick and pretty accurate method is to simply apply successive layers of cellophane tape on top of the case head, trim to fit the contour of the case head, and close the action on the chambered prepped case. You do this until you feel the additional resistance the successive layers of tape provide. Remove the tape and measure with your micrometer. The measured thickness of the tape will give you the weapons head space. I am not suggesting this method should replace proper gauges but if you suspect your weapon has an issue or are just curious this will certainly give you a pretty good idea. 1886.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

1886 , I think we are talking about two different things here.
I took dastook to mean a gauge to set the reloading dies so that the shells shoulder is not overly pushed back "chamber gauge" . I have some that are made when the barrel was fitted and a short piece that was cut off the barrel blank was partially chambered and serves as a chamber gauge. A fired case is placed in the gauge,the overall length of the case/gauge is measured and the sizing die can be set up to only push the sholder back about .002" this will give minimum headspace and the best case fit possible while allowing easy chambering. Increased accuracy is usually part of the deal. :D
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:1886 , I think we are talking about two different things here.
No, Dastook is "talking about two different things here." :wink: So, which one is it, amigos? Are we wanting to measure cartridges or rifles???

If'n it's cartridges/cases, then the Hornady tool mentioned is a good one. If it's a rifle's headspace you're after, the Forster gauges are tops.

Scott
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

If we are discussing not over working the brass and sizing the case to fit your weapon's chamber, Redding makes Competition Shell holders that do just that. I do not know if they are available for rimmed cases however. 1886.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Primarily I was just trying to find a measure for best COL for reloading cartridges in a given rifle. You all bring up a good point as to ways to measure true head-space as well. Thanks for the input.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.