35 Remington

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Packmule

35 Remington

Post by Packmule »

Ok I didn't mean to highjack deerwhacker444's post so I will start a new one. I am getting a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington,circa 1977 soon and just wonder how many faithful users of the 35 Rem where out there? I have used the 35 for a few years but never in a lever, but I know that its a bone smashing flesh ripping brush busting killer. I can't wait to get mine and try it on some piggys. :D
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 35 Remington

Post by woods-walker »

A Marlin 336 .35 Remington was my first levergun. I don't know though that I can say I am "faithful" user,
because I continue to keep and work with several other calibers in my lever action lineup.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ooooh, oooooh, ooooooh, that's me! I have a Remington Model 8 which has served 4 members of my family, a TC Contender Carbine barrel, and a Marlin 336T (but haven't killed anything with it yet). IIRC my favorite load is 38 gr. H4895 under either the Hornady 200 gr. RN or Remington 200 gr. CoreLokt. Gives good velocity but is easy on the Remington M8.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

yep, big pig medicine wampum fo shure.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I made a nice post about my .35s, but guess it disappeared down a "post hole". Too tired to do it again. Got 2 .35s, a Remington and a Marlin. Nuff said.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

In the "Guns Magazine" 2008 Annual on page 66, John Taffin states, "If there's a better levergun/cartridge combination for use in close to moderate ranges on anything in the lower 48 than a Marlin chambered in .35 Remington I certainly don't know what it is."

I haven't hunted with mine yet. But from my reading experience, if John Taffin likes it that much, I should too.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I always liked the .35 Remington.

I have a 336 in .35 Remington that's just fun to shoot & is very accurate. Surprised me how well the MicroGroove barrel shoots, even w/ barrel sights & my almost 63 years old eyes.

Right now, the local gunsmith is refurbishing a Remington Model 14 in that calibre.

Still looking a for a Remington Model 8 or 81 in .35 Remington....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I just picked up a Marlin 336A in 35 Remington yesterday at a local gun show. It has the 24" barrel and 2/3rd's mag and is a 1950 year model. :D This is my first in this caliber, so we will see how I like it.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got a used one last year and so far like it, but with the cost of factory ammo I only bought 2 boxes, and so I've barely shot it. Reloading a batch this winter, I hope. My son says it (a 336) is the "loudest" gun we have. Seems to do 2-3" at 100 yards with factory fodder. I think of it as the ".357 Max" that I really wanted to get in a lever gun; just had to go the long action/bottleneck route.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I recently acquired a 336 made in 1958 & am hoping to use it this deer season. I'm sticking with the Remington 200GR RN Corelokt bullets in my handloads, which were specifically designed for this cartridge & have complete faith in them as "the hammer of thor", as they say. jd45
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I took my only deer with a 336-35/Remington 200 gr. and he went right down. Egg-sized exit wound at the ribs.

I like the cartridge a lot but I don't yet have a condor-safe load for it. I was going to use the spire point Barnes .358's but they won't expand properly under 1800 fps. I'm also going to try the .357 140 grainers but that sort of defeats the purpose of the big bullet idea. But we'll see.

With the Remington 200's my 336 is very accurate. It always seems to go where I want it to.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I posted this link on deerwhacker's thread as well. It's jam-packed with excellent info on bullet expansion and penetration for the 35 Rem.

http://www.suitorsgarage.com/gunstuff/3 ... part1.html

This link, by the same guy, is a more in depth look at the 35 Rem LeverEvolution bullet.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 117.0.html

Hope you like it as I did.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

BTW, I read extensively about the Marlin 35 Rem before I decided to purchase one. I haven't even been hunting with it yet, but I have as much "knowledge on paper" as you can get on its killing capabilities. Take what you like, and leave the rest. :D

Of all that I have read, I don't recall seeing that ANY animal needed to be tracked an unreasonable distance after being hit well with a 200gr Remington CoreLokt. That includes deer, elk, moose, black bear, pigs, and Paco's 1200+lb. feral bull from about 125 yards! From the field experience of others, the 35 Remington, for its diminutive size, kills with an authority that is almost "magical".

bogie
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

I bin hunting with one for the last 23 years and i will never give it up its not bad at all the recole never bothered me
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Great link Bogie - here's the pic from that first one - it shows what a perfectly ballanced load the 35 Rem 200 grain round nose is.

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've never been a collector or shooter of any of the post WWI era Marlins, but the one later Marlin I have always found a "need" to own, and shoot was the 336 in .35 Rem. caliber. I think it's one of the finest guns and calibers made, and I have had one 336 .35 Rem. (or another) for probably 30+ years. I can attest to it's knock down power on deer, but I've never used it on anything larger.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Not intended to hijack this tread -- moderators feel free to move elsewhere or delete.

I picked up this 336 .35 Rem from a Benefit Auction a year or so ago. I sighted it in with the 220 gr Buffalo Bore ammo (actual chrono 2,130 from 18" bbl) that came with the package. Worked up a load with 158gr Horn XTP/A2400 that shoots to same POA -- these run about 2,200 fps, so they aren't plinking loads. Both loads are very accurate.

The rifle was donated by 2Dogs, his brother Henry added the recoil pad, and recontoured/refinished the wood. The metal work (cut to 18", recrown, shorten mag tube, custom forend cap, reblue) was done by Regan Nooneman. Ashley Emerson supplied the sights (and may have done the action job CRS). Ammo donated by Buffalo Bore. Butt cuff by Rob at Simply Rugged (not picuted) and sling by Mike Barranti (also not pictured.
Paul
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

Thats a sweet Marlin :D
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i'll toss my vote in on a 35 rem lover. i have had an ongoing affair with it in a 336 for many years.

i have amped it up and have settled back to factory velocity. just thinking about my 35 makes me want to get it out.
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I have been hunting with a Marlin 35 for going on 23 years now. It is still my favorite cartridge for AL/TN whitetails and hogs. It puts them down on the spot with any moderate velocity load using the 200 grain coreloct. I am a big fan of the 35 Rem.