Movies - New Lone Ranger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aries
Levergunner

Movies - New Lone Ranger

Post by Aries »

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=43459
Depp is scheduled to play Tonto. Not sure who will play the Lone Ranger yet.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: New Lone Ranger Movie

Post by marlinman93 »

I wont waste my money on Lone ranger with Depp!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ahhh why not. He makes a really great loony pirate. Think of it as a comedy.

I'll wait till it comes out on DVD.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I don't know about this one, but the version I saw in 1981 entitled, "The Legend of the Lone Ranger", made me sick to my stomach. The guy who played the Ranger, (Klinton Spilsbury,....can you believe it.....it even sounds "gay") had such a severe lisp, (you could actually see it on screen in the close-ups as he said his lines), they had to overdub with someone else speaking them. For me, there will never be anyone but Clayton Moore as the Ranger, just as there will never be anyone but Sean Connery as James Bond, & if they ever try to ressurect Dirty Harry, there'll never be anyone but Clint Eastwood. End of rant. jd45
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

I always thought that Brace Beamer was the Lone Ranger. Maybe I spelled it wrong. I never saw it in print. Can anyone guess why?
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The announcer that used to do the introduction all the way back to the radio days was a fellow named Hite. I'm not sure of his first name. He has a son named Bob Hite that was an anchor on the local TV station until he retired a short while back. I've heard Bob do the introduction just like his dad used to and it sounds so close tot he original it's scary. That would be cook to have the son do the intro for the movie.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Oh yeah.
"From out of the west come the thundering hoof beats of the great horse Silver'
Some memories are burned deeply.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'm willing to give it a chance.

Depp is a bit of a human fruit-loop, but he is a dedicated actor.

I think it'd be right fine to see the Ranger ride again.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jd45 wrote:I don't know about this one, but the version I saw in 1981 entitled, "The Legend of the Lone Ranger", made me sick to my stomach. The guy who played the Ranger, (Klinton Spilsbury,....can you believe it.....it even sounds "gay") had such a severe lisp, (you could actually see it on screen in the close-ups as he said his lines), they had to overdub with someone else speaking them. For me, there will never be anyone but Clayton Moore as the Ranger, just as there will never be anyone but Sean Connery as James Bond, & if they ever try to ressurect Dirty Harry, there'll never be anyone but Clint Eastwood. End of rant. jd45
That guy was/is gay - he recently married his "partner". Apparently he was so incompetent and afraid of the guns he could barely hold them - even with blanks!

I'm with you JD - Clayton, Sean, Clint - the originals as the best! :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

FWiedner wrote:I'm willing to give it a chance.

:D
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

FWiedner wrote:I'm willing to give it a chance.

+1 Though I don't think anyone will match the Clayton Moore/Jay Silverheels version, Depp, for all of his personal lunacy, is a talented actor. If he actually tries to portray this well, it could end up being a great movie. As long as they don't try to shove any political correctness down our throats!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I like Johnny Depp, too. Who knows, it may turn out good. Ysabel, I knew you & I would be on the same page, but I fear you're asking too much to keep the "PC" out. Hollywood is pulling out ALL the stops to prevent a Republican from getting elected again. Did you notice that new Oliver Stone movie about George Bush? With the butchery on the truth he did of the John Kennedy assassination, why would anyone waste one minute of their time on this, except those who're already off-the-chart left? The guy's a wacko. Have a good day! jd45
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
jd45 wrote:I don't know about this one, but the version I saw in 1981 entitled, "The Legend of the Lone Ranger", made me sick to my stomach. The guy who played the Ranger, (Klinton Spilsbury,....can you believe it.....it even sounds "gay") had such a severe lisp, (you could actually see it on screen in the close-ups as he said his lines), they had to overdub with someone else speaking them. For me, there will never be anyone but Clayton Moore as the Ranger, just as there will never be anyone but Sean Connery as James Bond, & if they ever try to ressurect Dirty Harry, there'll never be anyone but Clint Eastwood. End of rant. jd45
That guy was/is gay - he recently married his "partner". Apparently he was so incompetent and afraid of the guns he could barely hold them - even with blanks!

I'm with you JD - Clayton, Sean, Clint - the originals as the best! :D
If only they had had a Pink Pistols group in the old west... Myabe that would have helped take the issue from the libs. (see, I turned this into a political post...)
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I really don't want to see a "Politically Correct" Lone Ranger. Will he let Tonto ride the white horse occationally? Will he treat the Black Hats (aka Bad Guys) with all the respect due them, and read them their rights? Will he enlist a female sidekick (strike that, a female partner), who gets equal time on Silver?

Not me!
Clayton Moore = Lone Ranger.
Jay Silverheels = Tonto.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jd45 wrote:I like Johnny Depp, too. Who knows, it may turn out good. Ysabel, I knew you & I would be on the same page, but I fear you're asking too much to keep the "PC" out. Hollywood is pulling out ALL the stops to prevent a Republican from getting elected again. Did you notice that new Oliver Stone movie about George Bush? With the butchery on the truth he did of the John Kennedy assassination, why would anyone waste one minute of their time on this, except those who're already off-the-chart left? The guy's a wacko. Have a good day! jd45
Yep JD - I think we're asking too much!

I wouldn't watch an Oliver Stone movie if it was the only stuff left to watch for all time! :evil:
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

John Hart who stepped in to do season 3 was also pretty good, but Clayton Moore WAS the Lone Ranger.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I say AMEN to both Ysabel & Kirkwood! jd45
Morgan
Levergunner

Post by Morgan »

Pepe Ray, Clayton Moore may have been the Lone Ranger to all these young un's. But nobody could replace the original Lone Range Brace Beamer (radio during the late '30s and 40s).

Hi ,Ho Cheerios, whoops I mean Silver!

Ken M
Honesty, courage and integrity are the foundation of Life-Do it, Risk it!
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Movies - New Lone Ranger

Post by jd45 »

Morgan, I agree with you........tho I'm not from that generation, I've listened to a couple of radio episodes & I can understand how listeners would thrill to the images they created in their minds, along with the script the characters read. I was born in 1946 & am of the TV generation & I appreciated how the video aspect "fleshed out" what the Ranger, Tonto, & the desperados they were after, actually LOOKED LIKE, as well as the disguises he assumed, to capture them. Each generation has its technology & favorites because of it. It's ALL good, IMHO..........well, mostly,........see above, jd45
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The TV show The Lone Ranger was politically correct long before being politically correct was in vogue. Did you ever see The Lone Ranger actually shoot anybody? Or kill anybody? Nooooo, all he did was shoot their guns from their hands and capture them.

At least I don't remember him ever actually killing any of the black hat gang.

As loony as Jonny Dep is, I'm actually looking forward to the movie.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Unless it is a totally PC piece of stuff, I will most likely go to see it. Hollywood does not make many westerns these days, so it is good to see one coming out. If it makes some money, maybe they will make some more.
Zack
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Aries wrote:http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=43459
According to the link it looks like GEORGE CLOONEY will play the Lone Ranger. I can accept Johnny Depp as Tonto allot more than I can George Clooney as the Lone Ranger. :x
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

GANJIRO wrote:
Aries wrote:http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=43459
According to the link it looks like GEORGE CLOONEY will play the Lone Ranger. I can accept Johnny Depp as Tonto allot more than I can George Clooney as the Lone Ranger. :x
I won't see any movie with Clueless Clooney in it. Scratch this one off the list...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You guys are taking this way to serious. This is HOLLYWOOD. This ain't life or even remotely similar. It's ENTERTAINMENT, that's all.

George Clooney and Johnny Dep Loony as the The Lone Ranger and Tonto.

Oh what a hoot, this won't be no western like John Wayne did, this will be a comedy western like Dean Martin and Jerry Louis did.

Wooo Hooooo HIGH HO SLIVER ........ AWAY!!!!!!!!!!! Yee Haw!

Joe
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Ahmmm..I have to put dip my to into a vat of PC correctness here...

Why is Depp playing a Native American or First Nation person? There are quite a few good actors these days who are INDIANS.

Depp is a human fruit loop......... sorry if any pre packaged breakfast foods have been harmed with this comparison.

J
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I guarantee if Johnny Depp is in a remake of the Lone Ranger, it wont resemble anything we ever remembered of the original series. Regardless of how "fine an actor" he might be, he will have his own take on the Tonto character, and force that on any director, or not play the part.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

I agree with previous posters who label Depp as a Fruit Loop. Maybe Coo Coo For Coco Puffs as well. I just recently watched a "western" called Dead Man that Depp starred in and I want those two hours of my life back. It had some good killing, but overall, it sucked. Just my opinion.

Now I am getting ready to watch Looney Clooney in his recent release of Leatherheads. I can't stand his politics but this is just a football movie. I HOPE it is just a mindless, humor filed movie devoid of politics.

I can't stand the thought of Looney Clooney betraying the memory of Clayton Moore. I heard a story about Clayton Moore that I think the members of this site will like. I will call my friend who heard the story first hand to ensure I get the story straight. I'll start a new thread titled, "Clayton Moore's Stolen Guns."
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Cloony won't be getting any of my money. Nor from my family if I have any influence.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I am sorry to say it was in my home town that Mr. Moore's Remington revolvers were stolen.......Chicago. I don't know if they were ever recovered........I hope they were. jd45
44/40
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44/40 »

GEORGE CLOONEY ?? as the lone ranger ? That turd despises you, me , America and any of the values we got from watching the original. No thanks, I'll keep rewatching the DVD's of the old black & white T.V. shows - cold day in hell before I put a dime in his pocket. Old man's rant off
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pepe Ray wrote:Cloony won't be getting any of my money. Nor from my family if I have any influence.
Pepe Ray
Bingo. Entertainment or not, I will not spend one red cent of mine to enrich the lives or wallets of any actor or actress, singer or entertainer of any sort that aids our enemies in a time of war. Clooney's movies and what he says does just that. Calling him a turd insults poop everywhere and of everykind! :evil:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am only in my mid 40's, but I remember the re-runs of the Lone Ranger. The westerns back then had heroes to be proud of, and to be emulated. Paladin was a true knight, even if the actor who played him also played one of the kidnappers who shot at Big Jake. I am not interested in seeing George Clooney play the Lone Ranger as I am certain that he will make the character out to be much less than sterling. The Lone Ranger should never be portrayed as a Knight in Tarnished Armor.
Hi Ho Ag+ Away!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

marlinman93 wrote:I wont waste my money on Lone ranger with Depp!
I'm with you, Vall!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Cowboy1
Levergunner

Post by Cowboy1 »

Tom Beringer played a remake of The Lone Ranger, I think it was in the late 80's. I don't remember who played Tonto. Did anyone see this version?

The Arizona Cowboy
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Tom Berenger played in a Hollywood spoof of the Lone Ranger type character in a movie called "Rustler's Rhapsody" in 1985.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

And IIRC, John Wayne's son Michael played the bad guy. jd45
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I used to love teh Lone Ranger as a kid, but I like the original story the best that tells how Tonto, and the Lone Ranger became to be.I hope they use that form of the story, and not parody the old series.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @