OT - Thinned the herd, but some new followed me home

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Thinned the herd, but some new followed me home

Post by rjohns94 »

Well, in a continual process of thinning the herd, I moved some weapons today that just weren't cutting it. You may be surprised at my decisions:

Gone are the two Freedom Arms premier grade pistols. The .45lc has been replaced with my USFA in .45 lc. The .22/.22mag has been replaced with a colt in .22. Since they were dups I chose to ditch the FA pistols. Next were my 1851's, very nice, but I was offered more than what I paid so they went out the door. Sold the Bond derringer, the springfield M6 in .22/410 which eliminated the .410 from my cartridge aresenal. And I sold my detonics .45. Seven of the eight I wanted to ditch are gone. What followed me home:

model 21 Smith in .44sp:

I mentioned I might have to buy an N frame 4 inch gun to go with simply rugged holster I got in the auction. So happens the shark skin simply rugged holster arrived today for the USFA .45lc so this .44sp will go in the the simply rugged pancake leather holster. beautiful fit.

The other that followed me home was this 1917 in .45acp of course:

I have just ordered a chest holster for this 5 1/2 inch barrel pistol. WOW does this one feel good, balance well. I am planning on this one to be on my chest alot during the fall under my vest, jacket while in the woods. I really like it.

In addition, three G's followed me home to go towards debt reduction. I have only one more rifle to get rid of, a remington 30-06 double sxs. Will post it here for those interested.

I will also post a picture of the simply rugged holsters tomorrow once the sun comes out. The shark skin holster is beautiful!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Thinned the herd, but some new followed me home

Post by cshold »

I like :wink:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Boy are you gonna like that .44!!!!!!!!!!

Mine loves the Federal LSWCHPs 1 1/2" @ 20 yds!!

I have a 1917 but it was made in '17/'18. She's a shooter too.

Did you sell the 9410?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I gave up on herd reduction a long time ago. My motto is breed 'em until the dam bursts... or something like that... well you get my drift. :roll: Congrats on the new revolvers!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Those are some beautiful S&W's. WOW!
Ricky

DWWC
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

yep, I did sell it Went towards the purchase of my WWG Co-pilot
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:yep, I did sell it Went towards the purchase of my WWG Co-pilot

:D
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Hobie +1 :!: :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
sparky141
Levergunner

Post by sparky141 »

Hobie , I feel your pain . that is until you have to get another safe to keep the offspring in .
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Like the looks of the current production "classics". I really like old Smiths. I haven't handled any of the new classics yet. How are the actions compared to pre war models?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie: "Dam Bursts"....."Drift"......... :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
Over the last couple of years I have got to know you somewhat well. In fact, I'm nominating you as a 5 star "guncrank"--the best in the business! :D :D Man, you buy, sell, and swap guns like there's no tomorrow. :D :D

I am most impressed with the Model 21 44 Spl. My buddy Tom had one and it sat in the case for 4 or 5 months. Then one day I decided I was going to get it--I went down to the shop and it was gone :cry:

Anyway, you have done well and that 44 Spl. will be good trade stock with me in the near future! -----------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Nice looking Smiths, I am curious to hear how they shoot for you. I am always interested in Smith and Wesson 44 specials.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Good looking pistols. Congrats. I'm alittle jealous on that 21.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jack,

literally tens of hundreds of guns have passed through my hands since I turned 21. I am always looking for "the perfect" gun for any given situation. Unfortunately, I have yet to find the perfect gun. I'm getting close in some of my choices. My Steyr Scout in .308 simply can't be any better as I understand its use and function. My WWG is very near perfect as my anywhere, anytime, any big game levergun. My marlin 39 TDS, is a perfect .22, though if I could find the right long barreled take down .22, I would trade it away. I hope the NKJ 92 that is coming is the perfect levergun camp/truck/self defense gun. My sharps is near perfect, though a bit heavy and I'm still not happy with the sights. Ugly duck is ok, nothing special - just ugly :D not perfect in my eyes. In pistols, the Rohrbauh 9mm is a darn good CCW. The S&W 3 inch pro model 60 with tritijon night sights is really nice as a carry gun in woods and a companion to the 92. The two s&w I picked up this week are wonderful guns. The .44 is classic and feels well in my hands, but not as well as the 22-4 1917 .45acp. This pistol feels near perfect in my hands in balance and fit. if it shoots well, I will be well pleased. Same with the .44 but it already is lacking in feel. My USFA in .45 is pretty near perfect for the gun it is. But that leaves me with three pistols, single and double acting in the .44/.45 calibers. Eventually I will get down to just one. My colt .22 beat out rugers and freedom arms in fit and function. My custom flintlock is perfect for what I use it for, won't get rid of it until situations change. My shotgun I use now fits me very well.

As I go through life, with moves, changes in lifestyle, changes in values, I have gone through many changes to what I feel is the perfect guns. Where I am at right now, is trying to minimize calibers, minimize #s, yet still cover the situations I will find myself in hunting, self defense, home defense. At one time I had a gun vault in my home, an entire room filled with over 150 guns. I have 10 rifles right now, from .22 to .457wwg to .54bp, one shotgun, 7 pistols (one going out in trade). Three rifles will have to go, and perhaps two more pistols.

The only rifle I am looking for right now would be my perfect lever gun for the northeast: I would like a long barreled, full magtube, crescent butt 30-30. i'm looking for 24-26inch barrel, ladder rear, post and ball front, tang peep in a take down version. I'm keeping ugly duck until I find that one.

I could be talked out of the TDS if I could find a long barreled .22 takedown (i want to load in the am and shoot all day on squirrels) to replace it. I have tried several and so far, can't find the right one.

I don't think I have a need in pistols. And for right now, can't see me getting another shotgun for a while.

Until those rifles show up, I'm going to be using my income to pay off debt, crank up my reloading, increase my shooting at ranges and going on hunts. I am in transition to moving out of a house and onto my sailboat. I have been looking for some property bordering a national forest in Adams county here in Pa. If I find the right place, I will put a rustic cabin on it, and a barn/stable, and sell the sailboat, retire for the second time and live simply growing food, raising animals and doing missions work overseas. I think my gun crank days are nearing an end. I will just enjoy the weapons I have. I know many like the collection aspect but I have spent enough time in those shoes. The second half of my life will be dedicated to doing without rather than working on fulfilling my consumer driven desires with every piece of eye candy that comes along. I certainly don't begrudge any of those that disagree with me. I know I am in the minority. I know if I had held onto everygun I bought, I would not be any happier than I am with this rather modest assortment. I am almost embarrased to say that 17 firearms is what I have whittled my collection down to. Alot of people would love to have that many. I know I could go alot lower and may, but I doubt I will have any more than this number ever in my life. If I found that 30-30, I could go a lot lower. Should situations change, I could be forced even more lower. I could easily get under 10, maybe 7 without too much time thinking. As I said, I'm going to spend more time shooting and hunting and less time buying. This past year I gave away 4 rifles or shotguns to strangers, One to my brother. That was a lot more rewarding than collecting them for me. My focus shift is now on giving back rather than collecting. I'm afraid I will do little in the future to earn the 5 star rating of Gun Crank. I will just have to live vicariously through those on this forum. As I work to clear my debt, I have also declared this year a year of jubilee for those that owe me. Those paying back debt, those who have felt the need to repay, their debt is forgiven and zero balance is recorded. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

jeepnik, these pistols are very smooth, crisp triggers. I love S&W double action revolvers. The case coloring opition I heard is going by the wayside. My dealer told me this, I have no verification. Anyway, I will post a range report soon and give my impressions once I shoot them.
Mike Johnson,

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:I gave up on herd reduction a long time ago. My motto is breed 'em until the dam bursts... or something like that... well you get my drift. :roll: Congrats on the new revolvers!
+1

Glad that it is working out for you though Mike. Just hope you don't have to sell anything you really don't want to part with...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
I read every word and I hear 'ya and tend to mostly agree. I really do not think snagging a pristine 1st generation Colt or a fabulous 100 year old Winchester in a caliber that 200 were made has made me any happier than the Canadian Centennial 30-30 my Dad gave me when I was 14 years old. :D

The main problem with America today is that we are all too "fat" and put our happiness in material goods. Several years ago I too decided to shoot more, (Kind of an oxymoran as I have ALWAYS shot a lot :lol: ) travel more, (can't do that because I'm always buying guns :D ), spend more time with my family, (geeze, I only work 40 hours a week--I'm home a lot--my favorite place) and to buy less guns. Well, I guess I'll never change :D Life is good---Well, gotta go now, a buddy e-mailed me on a mess of guns that just came in!! :D :D :D ------------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

good for you and keep me posted on your new goodies, like I said, I want to live vicarioulsy through all of you.
Mike Johnson,

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

rjohns94, I want to thank you for this thread. you are doing something that I've been pondering for some time,like you I've been accumulating guns all my adult life and I've found that there are only a handful that I actually shoot. I've been thinking of selling off the crop of EBR's that seldom (some never) go to the range. It may be just because I've gotten older but I can finally only think of a couple of guns that I really want and the sale of the dust collectors and the chin high stack of 7.62 would finance those nicely I think.
Anyway,enough thinking out loud. Your new S&W's are fine looking pistols, those particular Smith's just ooze class.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

smokeater, good luck on your choices. this has been a lengthy process for me, and as my wants have been moved and waned, my records show some consistant desires. A muzzleloader for the two seasons here in Pa, a SXS shotgun for small game, birds and such, a ccw, a .22 rifle, and another high power rifle. Those are my mins. The others I have fill other niches of self defense, truck and house guns, big bore/small bore versatility or just plain fascination.

I have six high power rifles: Steyr Cooper Scout rifle in .308, my WWG Co-pilot, my sharps, a winchester 88 in .308, and ugly duck in 30-30 and the remington sxs in 30-06. The first three are my keepers for now. I would trade the other three for a 26inch takedown lever in 30-30, 38-55 or 32.

I have two .22lr rifles: a GSG-5 semi (which is getting a silencer on it) and 39 tds. Cant use the GSG in Pa for hunting but, as many of the forum members can attest to, it is fun to shoot. I have one .22lr pistol. I keep the colt because I like a .22lr in the field with me. could give them all up for the right 1897 marlin .22lr.

I have one .357 lever that is paired with a backup ccw, 3 inch model 60. It will be my truck/house/defense gun (when it arrives from NKJ)

I have three .44/.45 revolvers. Eventually, I may only have one or two, but for now, three will stay. These do not include the .45 that is promised out to a forum member.

my ccw is a 9mm Rohrbaugh. It stays for now but I could do without it since I have the model 60 and if I had to choose, I would go with the model 60 because it goes with the 92.

All my needs are met. Push comes to shove I could get to 5 easily, with the muzzle loader, shotgun, and two .357s and a .22 rifle. They could do it all for me if I need them to. Only think I would prefer would be a take down rifle. With that in mind, I would not feel too bad with the WWG and the .45acp or USFA .45lc serving as the pistol. If I ever found the right takedown (perhaps a 1893 Marlin with 26 inch in 30-30, 38-55 or 32), that could serve the rifle needs too.

For now I am happy with my choices and I don't feel lacking in anything which is a first in my life. I have room to down size Good luck with your choices
Mike Johnson,

Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

Mike,

I think you're headed in the right direction...we never really ever own anything? We are care takers so to speak while we are here. I have my collection down from years past. I use to have a .458, 375H&H, and a .338, etc. I replaced those three with a Marlin 1895GS 45-70-457WW Mag for my hunting trips to Alaska...I figure, if I cant get within 200yrds of a critter, I got no business hunting.

I have 30 acres adjacent to a Wilderness Area in Eastern Oregon and plan on bailing out of the rat race for good pretty soon. (Waiting on my 19 year old daughter to finish college, so I'm sticking around to help her for now) Like you, to live a simpler life. Grow a garden, raise my own beef, pork, etc...take a deer or elk when I need it. I don't hunt for "Horns" anymore...don't need too. Trophy room is full...and taxidermy work is expensive.

I'm debt free with the exception of having to pay Income and property taxes :evil: .....kids are raised and doing well. I've been blessed I reckon...things could always be worse that's for sure.

Nice pistols...I pack a 1950s vintage Model 36 S&W in 38 Special...love it. I am downsizing too...I have 4 motorcycles and plan on getting it down to one...The question or delima is which one? I have a Harley and 3 classic British Bikes..Norton, Triumph, and BSA...tough call...kinda of like gettin rid of weapons...not easy for me to do.

I went through PA on my Harley in 2005 on my way back from the "Wall." Took HWY 6 across the top of your state. Looks like a great place to bail out.

Best wishes...

Mike AKA Jarhead
Semper Fi