HUMOR: California in 1850...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

HUMOR: California in 1850...

Post by Old No7 »

BACK IN 1850:

California became a state.

The State had no electricity.

The State had no money.

Almost everyone spoke Spanish.

There were gunfights in the streets.

Basically, it was just like California today -- except the women back then had
real t**s and the men didn't hold hands!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: HUMOR: California in 1850...

Post by jeepnik »

Oh now, let's not start a cross country set to. I've heard a few things about Maine, but for now I'll remain a gentlemen and not mention them. :evil:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Old No7 wrote:BACK IN 1850:

California became a state.

The State had no electricity.

The State had no money.

Almost everyone spoke Spanish.

There were gunfights in the streets.

Basically, it was just like California today -- except the women back then had
real t**s and the men didn't hold hands!

Old No7
Californian (transplanted in 1968), have electricty, sometimes I have money, don't speak
spanish (I took it in high school, but can now only order from the menu), haven't been in
a gunfight, never dated anyone without real t**s, if a man holds my hand he will get laid
out real fast (I have had gay friends but they can spot straight a mile away and will leave
you alone). I just wish Arnold (Kennedy) guvernator, and all the Leftists would quit messin
with my state.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:D :D :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Love it :!: :D :!: :D :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I work for a very large city in Southern California and I have to agree with that statement by Old No. 7. Funny, but true! It's a pity too. California is a great state, but run by three cities and the millions of good people living outside those cities suffer from the radical liberalism that rules the state. Today it's like Norte Mexico. Illegal immigrants have many, many "programs" to make life easy for them, while I, being a WASP, a Bible hugging, gun toting white guy, have to bust my butt to make a living.

Sorry for the rant, but I've seen too many Cadallic drivers using food stamps, and my taxes are paying for two + meals per day in schools that serve mostly immigrants.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Maybe y'all should consider a new state... divide it north and south.

I heard a while back that there were some folks down around Ft.Lauderdale that were wanting to form a separate state down there. I wish they would. That's where the people are that don't know how to vote anyway. It sure would make my day.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

Califonia realy isnt that bad :oops: I have lived in other states but california is best for ME. Im a straight, anglo, church going tax payer! Im getting tired of hearing how bad cali is from people that don't live here or ran away many years ago. If It was so bad here I would have moved. For all of you that haven't been to california I invite you! Just spend some time in some of the small towns and see how different it is from what you think.
Break on through to the other side!!!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Lived in CA for a few years.

Not interested in coming back.

Y'all are just nutty.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think CA should be divided into THREE states, North, Central, and South.

I've spent some time in the central area and they don't deserve to be lumped in with either of the others.

IMNSHO it's the immigrants causing the problems, both the illegals and the liberals from the rest of the country. The natives are great.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I too get tired of the "Kalifornia", "Republik of Kalifornia", etc posts. (There's one Texan here that loves to bad mouth California). Every time you post one of those you're insulting millions of Bible hugging , gun toting AMERICANS. True, our gun laws suck. It's a battle that we must keep fighting. Many of those here, on this forum, have turned tail and fled California for states with fewer gun laws, good for you, but if we fall, then it won't be long until the rest of you fall also. (Note the "lead poisioning myth" that started here with those stupid vultures, Condors, and now has spread to some northern states where venison is being tossed out of Food Banks because of "Potential Lead Poisoning"). Instead of telling us how bad it is here ( I already know that), and calling our state silly names, give us a hand in the fight!

(There was already a movement to create a separate state, The State of Jefferson, which consisted of some Northern Cal. counties and some Southern Oregon counties. I believe they weren't taken seriously)
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Schlemiel
Levergunner

Post by Schlemiel »

I miss Cali in a bad way. I miss the mountains; i miss the sea and surf; I miss the desert; I miss the endless variety and the land of opportunity.

We moved our family to Iowa last year, and here, the situation is better for us. The people (mostly) are friendlier and more honest, and better educated. Schools are better, housing is affordable, and members of our community take care of one another. Those are not comments I would make about most communities in Cali, certainly in SoCal where I lived for 39 years.

But I don't hold it against the state, unsurpassed in beauty and natural resources. I just blame greed, ignorance, and short-sighted decision making by second-rate politicians and sheepish voters. Also, anywhere that there are 35 MILLION people, there are bound to be some freeloaders, punks, and whackos, not to mention a bunch of criminals and dopers. I may have met of few that combine all of the above!

Don't knock California - your daughter might run off with a rock musician and live there soon!
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I was born in Kalifornia. When I was young I loved it. Back then even the Democratic politicians were respectable. Things started changing in the late 1960's.

Three years ago when I turned 62 the wife and I decided to emigrate to the United States. Have never regreted it.

If Kalifornia is the face of the future then I am glad I am on the downhill side of life and hopefully never live to see it spread to the United States.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote:. . . California is a great state, but run by three cities and the millions of good people living outside those cities suffer from the radical liberalism that rules the state.
It seems that the BIG cultural divide in our nation isn't East vs. West or Black vs. White or Rich vs. Poor - it is mostly "city" vs "rural" - in mindset, if not always physical location.

Rural people TEND to like to be left alone, and are willing to let others alone, knowing that it may mean they have to fend for themselves more, and that they may not have the 'right' to make a neighbor mow their yard if they don't want to. City people TEND to be there because they prefer an inter-dependent, networked, style of living, where they DO depend on others to provide or help with daily basics like food, water, etc., or to paint their mini-barn a color that won't clash and ruin their property values.

Neither is inherently a "bad" way of life, but the fundamental problem when they are co-existing is that the City way of doing things demands more infrastructure, and since bureaucrats are in charge, the infrastructure always costs more than the available funds, so they try to extract them from the Rural folks in any way they can. The other problem is that the excessive RULES needed for a city also tend to get exported and enforced on the Rural folks.

Many of us have had to live in cities (I did it for 13 years of higher education) but we generally quietly endured, and didn't try to get the City folks to change how they did things. The problem is when the City folks get out in the Rural areas (usually to escape all the problems the City way of doing things creates), and they DO try to get the Rural folks to change how they do things. You get lots of friction then!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

by AJMD429 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:18 am

mikld wrote:
. . . California is a great state, but run by three cities and the millions of good people living outside those cities suffer from the radical liberalism that rules the state.

It seems that the BIG cultural divide in our nation isn't East vs. West or Black vs. White or Rich vs. Poor - it is mostly "city" vs "rural" - in mindset, if not always physical location.

Rural people TEND to like to be left alone, and are willing to let others alone, knowing that it may mean they have to fend for themselves more, and that they may not have the 'right' to make a neighbor mow their yard if they don't want to. City people TEND to be there because they prefer an inter-dependent, networked, style of living, where they DO depend on others to provide or help with daily basics like food, water, etc., or to paint their mini-barn a color that won't clash and ruin their property values.

Neither is inherently a "bad" way of life, but the fundamental problem when they are co-existing is that the City way of doing things demands more infrastructure, and since bureaucrats are in charge, the infrastructure always costs more than the available funds, so they try to extract them from the Rural folks in any way they can. The other problem is that the excessive RULES needed for a city also tend to get exported and enforced on the Rural folks.

Many of us have had to live in cities (I did it for 13 years of higher education) but we generally quietly endured, and didn't try to get the City folks to change how they did things. The problem is when the City folks get out in the Rural areas (usually to escape all the problems the City way of doing things creates), and they DO try to get the Rural folks to change how they do things. You get lots of friction then!
+1,000,000!!!
Break on through to the other side!!!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've never understood how people who will stoicly weather whatever God throws at them (weather, crop failure, whatever) - without changing the fundamentals of their lifestyle - fold up like paper tigers when a few Citified Liberal Bozos move to town and start complaining about everything from the smell of manure spreaders to shooting in the backyard.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!