New guy checking in

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
goon
Levergunner

New guy checking in

Post by goon »

Hi,
I just registered on this forum and figured I should say hi.
After buying a Marlin 336 30-30 about a month ago, I noticed last week that my primers aren't flush with the rear of the casing after firing. It happens with both handloads and Federal and Remington factory loads. I figured I had a headspace problem. A little research led me here.
Since then, I've had the rifle to a smith to have the headspace checked. Turned out it's fine: the action won't close on a No-Go gauge. I figure that since it works fine this way and there isn't anything unsafe with the headspace going on, I'm just going to shoot it and not worry about it.
Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for all the info I've found here already. I'm even thinking about getting another 30-30 and having it cut down to a 16.5 inch barrel - I really love the Marlins.

BTW - Some of you may "know" me already. I go by the same screen name on a couple of other shooting forums.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New guy checking in

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome, I have a couple .30-30`s that are the same way. I bought a set of headspace gauges just to check them. one is close to max but still less than no-go.
I set my reloading full length sizer die to not push the sholder back and headspace off the sholder on that one. No more protruding primers on that rifle. :D
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Goon,

Welcome to the forum.

I've seen the same thing happen with my Win 94s. Usually with ammo that produces less than optimal pressure. And it seems that the ammo makers are wimping out many of their old standard loads lately.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Welcome to the fire.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! :D
goon
Levergunner

Post by goon »

Yeah, I was wondering if maybe it had to do with factory ammo not being loaded quite as hot as it could be loaded.
I knew that was the case with my beginning handloads - they were definitely at the minimum on purpose. It still might be the case because I'm loading with Win 760. It's not ideal for the 30-30 but it's what I have so I figured I'd try it.
One other thing - my rifle seems to have a very tight chamber. I had trouble getting reloading dies that size my brass enough to chamber in the rifle and the sizing problem was at the shoulder. The third set of RCBS dies finally did the job. There are also some light tooling marks visible that seem to run the circumfirence of my chamber. I don't have any ejection or extraction problems, even if the rifle is kind of hot, but it might be enough that the brass is holding on to the chamber a little tighter than it normally would.
I went through a lot of this over on the high road and it was one of those guys who mentioned that I should look over here for an explanation.
Anyway, thanks for the welcome.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome to the fire. hope you find this a likeable home
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome to the Forum.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Welcome! Image
NRA Life Member
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to the forum, glad to see another levergun man show up here. Hope you stick around and tell some huntin' tales.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
goon
Levergunner

Post by goon »

JerryB wrote:Welcome to the forum, glad to see another levergun man show up here. Hope you stick around and tell some huntin' tales.
Thanks. I'm kind of short on hunting stories. I hunted for a few years but it's not much fun to hunt in PA anymore.
Mostly, I like the lever actions (especially Marlins) for their solid feel, the way they handle, and how practical they are. I've only had mine for a month but it's become my favorite gun to grab if I'm driving out into the woods. I'm really happy to know that it's still safe to use because I was kind of heartbroken to think that I would have to replace it.
But some things I'll be using the search function on before too long are where I can find some heavy, hard cast solids for the 30-30. I'd like to play around with some and see what they'll do in my micro-groove barrel. And I've also been spending some time reading the articles. Lots of good info there.
Before too long I'll be on the lookout for another 336 to chop down. I figure that with a good reciever sight, handloads with both light and heavy loads, and a large loop lever it will be just about the ideal general purpose rifle for my uses.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Welcome and glad your here. boy oh boy, if your not a levergun nut you will be! :lol:
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

goon wrote:Hi,

BTW - Some of you may "know" me already. I go by the same screen name on a couple of other shooting forums.
But why "goon" :?: Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Welcome!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

But some things I'll be using the search function on before too long are where I can find some heavy, hard cast solids for the 30-30. I'd like to play around with some and see what they'll do in my micro-groove barrel
Check out the sponsors on the home page. You should be able to find something to your liking. http://www.leverguns.com/

P.S. welcome to the campfire :)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis