Marlin stoppage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin stoppage

Post by RustyJr »

I have Marlin 1894 Texas carbine in .44 mag. I seem to have a problem with the flat "V" shaped spring ( ejector I think) that fits between the side of the frame and the bolt. It keeps tying up the bolt. If I reach in and push it down the bolt will slide forward. It's installed now so the close portion is towards the rear and the little "bump" is facing the side of the frame.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin stoppage

Post by JerryB »

Now where is Marlinman 93 when you need him?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Remove the bolt and ejector and put the ejector in the bolts slot. Slide it back and forth. Does it catch on any thing? Could be that its spring tension is causing it to push the bolt over to where it (the bolt) is catching on a burr in the reciever. Could be the lever or carrier also. How does it work without the ejector , Slick or rough?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Is there not a tab on the "V" end of the spring that fits in a hole on the left rail. The bolt must be slid to the rear, past its "normal" operating rear-most position to correctly install the ejector. IIRC, the ejector is stationary in the frame, with the face of the bolt sliding past it to kick the cartridge out.

I might be wrong.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

You may need a new ejector spring. It should look like a hair pin with a small shoulder on one end. The round flat shoulder fits in the receiver hole on the left side. If it is not bent like a hair pin then it is broke. You will need to get a new one. This is a common occurance for a Marlin. If you get a replacement be sure and buy two, you will need it again some day.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The 'bump' you may refer to is the bump that catches the cartridge rim, and it should be placed AWAY from the receiver, and towards the bolt. There should be a round 'pin' that fits in the receiver hole, on the other side of the ejector.

In my moderate experience, the ejector is a really critical part in terms of Marlin function. Be sure you install it right!

I don't really think the action could cycle smoothly with it in wrong, but I've never tried it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Thanks, that fixed it. I had it i wrong.

Dumb,dumb,dumb :oops:
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.