44mag barrel twist rate experience

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

44mag barrel twist rate experience

Post by 3t- »

Hey Gang,

I am trying to educate myself on this issue of 44mag barrel twist rates (1:38 or 1:20) and bullet weight. I am reading several articles and forum discussions that say bullets heavier than say 270grns are less accurate in the slower twist rate guns, all other variables being equal. Many decry the Marlin guns (and the older Winchesters) that have the 1:38 rate. I am looking for your observations from 1st hand experience using a range of bullets in the slower twist rate guns. I have a Wing 94 Legacy with the faster rate and it shoots all weights well.

So what have you experienced? Feel free to share your favorite loads if you have a real goodie :wink:
regards

3T
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: 44mag barrel twist rate experience

Post by AJMD429 »

My older one I've shot the most (Marlin 1894) and it is a dreaded microgroove with I think the 38" twist; anyway, it will shoot factory 240 Winchesters in 2-1/2" 5-shot groups at 100 yards all day. That's about all I ever shoot except for the occasional 180 grain factory or reload. (If I wanted a heavier bullet in that diameter I'd load up some 350 or betters in a .444 Marlin.) I think I've seen other posts on this that seemed to say twist rates didn't matter as much as just the individual gun's own quirks, but I don't know at what bullet weight that balance might shift. I'm sure others will post on that.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My Marlin 1894 .44 mag will not stabilize 320g bullets it the 1:38 barrel. My hand guns stabilize them just fine. I gave up on trying to get one load for hand gun and rifle. The marlin shoots 240 jsp just fine.
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

3T,
I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag. with the Ballard 6-groove rifling. It also of course has the 1-38" twist. Trying heavy bullets, just to see what would happen, the LBT 285s shot just fine, but they're about the same length as 240 SWCs. Then I tried the 310-429 JDJ, a truncated cone design that weighs close to 320 grs. from wheel weights. Accuracy was good at 50 yards, although the holes were somewhat oval, showing instablilty. Just for grins, I shot a group at 200 yards, and it went into 7"! Holes were still oval, but it shot well. The bullet design must be "inherently stable."
Glenn
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Guys,

Thanks for the replies, that is pretty much what I am hearing from others. The consensus seems to be to stick to the 240-260 grn bullets.
regards

3T
Paco
Site Owner

Post by Paco »

3T... THE FASTER THE TWIST THE BETTER ESPECIALLY TODAY WITH SO MANY VERY FINE 280 TO 320 PLUS GRAIN BULLETS TO USE. I'M WEDDED TO 2400 POWDER AND THE 300 GRAINERS FOR ANYTHING OVER COYOTE SIZE.....SO THE 1 IN 20 TWIST MAKES A LOT OF SENSE... 1 IN 16 WOULD EVEN BE BETTER... BUT THAT TAKES REBARRELING.... :) PACO
PACO/OWNER
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Thanks Paco.

I do like those 300 grn bullets :wink: I was shooting some 300grn Hornady XTPs out of my Ruger 44mag Bisley Hunter and they were very accurate, surprisingly tame on the recoil using 19.5 grns of H-110. But man they would do a number on anything that happened to get in their way :o

The good thing is that all of my Rugers (Bisley Hunter, Bisley Blackhawk, Bisley Vaquero) all also like the 240 grn xtp and the MT Baldy Keith style 250grn over 18.5 grns 2400. Good, because I added this little beauty to the herd last night

It was NIB unfired and still wearing it's original packing grease. Not anymore :wink: Pre-safety angle eject but it does have the 1:38 twist. Had a short range session with it today and it did pretty well with the 240-250 grn bullets. It also was accurate with the 300s but I only shot those at 25 yards so hard to say how they would work at greater distance.

After deciding to give up the .357 trapper (it was my only .357 so it did not see much action although it was a real tack-driver with 180grn cast over Lil'gun) I opted for the 44mag to go with the Rugers. Also have a top eject 30-30 trapper en route from the east cost, should be here next week. Yippee. Possibly also pick up another 30-30 Trapper locally that I learned of last night. See what happens when you decide to thin the heard and sell a gun...if I keep selling guns at this rate I will need another gun safe. :roll:
Last edited by 3t- on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
regards

3T
Cowboy1
Levergunner

Post by Cowboy1 »

I have read about this quite a bit, as I have two Marlins in 44 mag with that barrel twist rate. I also have two leverguns, Marlin and Win. in 45 LC that have the faster twist. Both the 44's shoot 1-2" groups with iron sights as far out as 50 yards using bullet weights between 200 gr to 240 gr. I have found NO noticeable difference in accuracy between the slower twist of the 44 mag rifles and the 45 LC rifles that have the faster twist barrels. So far I haven't yet tried the heavier bullets in the 44's mostly because I don't see the need for it. Seems to me that rifle or carbine length barrels bring out the best potential in the 44 mag, especially on medium to large game. I admit, though, that I am still working to find the right rifle-revolver load, as most of my revolvers are also in 44 mag.

I will be getting back into reloading soon now that the Arizona heat is cooling a bit. I will experiment with the heavy 44 bullets in my rifles and let you know how that goes.

Cowboy1
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Here's a couple of targets I shot with my Win94 Legacy 44mag using iron sights off a bench. 240gr Rem JSP over 20gr of 2400.

The one on right @ 50yds with first 2 shots off left. Last 6 pretty much dead center.

The one on left @ 100yds with first 3 shots high left. Next 3 shots measure just under 1.75". The last one was pretty much dead center of the bulls eye.

With my load, it's a darn fine accurate combo.

I also have Marlin 1894 and Win94 Trapper which shoot just as good (maybe better, since they're scoped).

So with the same load, using std rifling/micro groove rifling/different barrel lengths/barrel twist rate/etc... I pretty much get the same results out of all three levers.

...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Thanks Cowboy1, I'd be interested in hearing how your loading tests come out.

MeanC, Good shooting. I have a sister to that Win 94 Legacy 44mag in your pic. Nice Rifles, actually it was my first levergun purchase back in 2003 or 2004. I guess you could say that is when I was first diagnosed with the dreaded leveritus disease :lol:
regards

3T
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

3T

Hey man, glad to see you got that trapper bought and are putting it to use.
It was probably destine to live its life in the box if you hadn't bought it.
Keep us posted on how it shoots.
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Thanks for hooking me up with Jerry, Nice guy. Problem is he gave me a phone # for another gentleman that has guns for sale...this could get out of hand. :lol:
regards

3T
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

3T, that's great lookin' wood on that Trapper. As someone said about my .30-30 Trapper, bet that has some kinda BARK! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

3T wrote:.45,

Problem is he gave me a phone # for another gentleman that has guns for sale...this could get out of hand. :lol:
If it is the gentleman I am thinking of it WILL get out of hand.
Good luck. :mrgreen:
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I had a Browning B-92 in 44MAG several years ago, on which I had the barrel trimmed back to 16". My load was a Hornady 265GR FP on top of 22GRS H110, with a mag primer. It grouped into 1-1/2" at 100yds off the bench. jd45
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Sorry, I should've said the rifle had the 1-in-38" twist-rate & the equivalent of Marlin's Micro-Groove rifling. jd45
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

With all this said about the Marlins and Winchesters does anyone know what twist they use in the Rossi '92's?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

My Rossi mfg'd LSI Puma '92 with 20" barrel in .45 Colt has a 1-in-38" twist-rate. jd45