New Mexico Hunt Report 1 - Pronghorn

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

New Mexico Hunt Report 1 - Pronghorn

Post by crs »

Three DWWC ( http://www.dwwcc.org/index.html )
members (crs, Jim, Jeff) arrived in Clayton NM about 4 PM Friday August 22 and stopped at the Knotts sporting goods store where Flagg Taxidermy had set up their reefer. Every year, Flagg collects a load of Antelope at Clayton and Cimarron and hauls them back to Dallas for processing and taxidermy. This is a wonderful convenience for hunters from the DFW area as all you have to do is field dress your game and drop it off with Flagg. When the meat and/or taxidermy is ready, they will call you to come pick it up.
We bummed a beer from our friends at Flagg (also DWWC members) while we visited, bought some steaks and such at the nearby market, and drove on west to DesMoines, where the Amisdad Ranch is located at the base of Sierra Grande, the largest free-standing mountain is the US. Jim had stopped at the ranch HQ a month previous to meet the folks and finalize arrangements, so he was able to introduce Jeff and me to the ranch foreman, Vic Ogle, and his charming wife, Marla.
For an idea of the ranch location and terrain, check out this link to the Mandala Center which is located on the ranch only 400 yards uphill from the ranch HQ -
http://www.mandalacenter.org/default.cf ... page_id=79

That evening, we did the usual whiskey, cigars, fire ring, grilled steaks and killed off a bottle of Jeffs wine. After great meal in the Ogles dining room and much get acquainted talk and hunt planning, we retired to our cabin (once the ranch HQ building) and crashed.
Next morning, Vic took us out in his big Chevy 4 door, 4 x 4 pickup and we scouted the ranch for game. The heavy rains of the previous two weeks had saved the grass and everything was green,but because of the rain and plentiful food, the antelope were scattered all over the ranch. We did locate a nice buck with two does and Vic thought he and I could use the cover of a small ridge to approach close enough to be within range of my peep sighted 1895 .405 Winchester. It was a good plan, but the does spotted us just before we dropped into the heavy cover, so we blew it off and planned to return later to get that buck with tall wide horns. After some exploring (hunting?) of the foothills, we went back to HQ to meet John, our other guide and an employee of the ranch for over 20 years.

We had a late brunch at the house and then at noon, John and I went in his one ton Dodge 4x4 ranch truck to hunt to the west while Vic took Jeff and Jim back to the east where had seen game that morning. They spotted the wide buck at a more accessable area, so Vic was able to drop Jeff off at a cedar tree and took the truck to where he and I had tried the stalk. This unnerved the buck and he ambled off to within 200 yards of a well hidden Jeff and became our first kill of the day. :D Excuse my inept picture, as I did not arrive when the buck was first taken and had to settle for a pic that does not show the horns well. It does show excellent shot placement though.

John and I had glassed from the west end of the property and observed no less than 8 bucks making scrapes and establishing their territories. The rut is due to begin soon and many of the bucks we saw were solitary ones that would only leave their chosen area if they were driven off by hunters. Three riders were working cows from horseback and this made these raunchy bucks nervous but did not make the leave their chosen breeding spots.

Jim joined John and me for some interesting though fruitless hunting while Vic took Jeff and his buck to Flagg in Clayton. Upon their return, they phoned us about two more territorial bucks on the east end of the ranch. After a pow-wow, we decided it was my turn to hide behind a cedar near one of the game trails. John drove his truck between the distant buck and my cedar and I hopped out and set up on the left (fence side) of the cedar tree John drove off just out of sight. Then Vic parked his truck at the entrance gate a half mile away, which made the antelope nervous enough to begin to drift toward me. A doe spooked and trotted past, but the buck just slowly grazed my way. After 30 minutes, he was within 200 yards but drifting to the right and the interior of the large pasture; then he saw John;s parked truck and fed back my way, walking nervously on a course to bring him just where I wanted him. As he walked past the cedar, he was only 30 yards from me, so I put the brass bead on his chest and squeezed off the shot. John was out on the prairie grass and saw the hair fly from the bucks offside. He ran a only a few yards and then dropped.Here he is:
A snap with Vic and his son so I can show off the 1895.

Back at the HQ, Jim grabbed a scotch and cigar and headed for the south patio where he could sit in the evening breeze from Sierra Grande and watch the sunset. John spoiled all this by spotting a nice buck grazing slowly down slope just east of the house. The spotting scope said this was a shooter and Jim was summoned - he said "Nope, I am comfortable and will hunt tomorrow". Then Vic gave Jim his binoculars to see the buck and this convinced him that he really should go shoot this buck. John and I drove up the Mandala Center road to a higher elevation to watch as Vic drove Jim and Jeff north on an intercept course a good ways ahead of the buck which had bedded to rest. The evening sun highlighted the buck as it once again grazed slowly down slope toward the hidden hunter. John watched the action below with his spotting scope and when we heard a shot from Jim's 30-06, he reported that the antelope only lifted its head to see what made the sound. Next, he reported that the buck fell over, just then we heard the second shot. It was getting dark when the pictures were taken and my camera was not in our truck, so I had to wait for someone elses photos the get one of Jim and his heavy horned buck.

Next day, we shot prairie dogs, but that will be chapter two - another post.
Last edited by crs on Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Mexico Hunt Report 1 - Pronghorn

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Great hunting report and pics....
but you forgot to invite us :wink: :wink:
congrats on your bucks.....
is this your first hunt with the 405?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

... Love the kicker points on the horns!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Rihmfire;
Yes, this was the first hunt with the .405, but it will not be the last; that 1895 is a sweet handling rifle!

86er;
Yes, those kickers add a lot of character and also add to the score. When I get the horns and skull cap from Flagg, I will have it scored. Also, I plan to use them to teach Troupe to mount horns on a board.

You could have had one of these, as well as a bunch of dogs!
Maybe next year.
Last edited by crs on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Charles,
Congrats on a successful hunt and what sounds like a dern good time. Hopefully we can get together again, maybe the next time I'm in town.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Nice report, and good looking trophies. Sounds like a nice ranch and accomodations.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

nice report. Classic rifle, caliber and game. I look forward to hunting antelope one day. Its on my list to do!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great picture of the antelope and the 405. I would like to see someone as Askins used to say "campaign" that rifle and take everything with it. It to me is a true classic. :mrgreen: And, capable of anything with a capable hunter.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Thanks for the field report, and congratulations on a fine antelope. Sounds like a good time was had by all. One of these days Rihmfire and I will drag our butts out there to chase Prairie Goats.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well done dude, say are you a tall feller, you make that 1895 look quite small?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Congratulations on a great hunt and beautiful Pronghorn. Thats another animal on my want-to- hunt list.
Ricky

DWWC
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Old Savage;
Great idea about campaigning the .405. I guess a deer is next and then a Nilgai, and then an elk or a moose?

Nath;
Not tall at all, just loose clothes.

Ricky;
We do this every year, so budget for next year.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

crs wrote: Ricky;
We do this every year, so budget for next year.
I may take you up on that if we can work it out.
Ricky

DWWC
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Fgiff-
I just saw your note. You and I have some of the same problems balancing work and shooting.
Let me know when you are in town for a while and lets see if we can get away to shoot.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Update - New picture added.