win 1886 recoil pad

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

win 1886 recoil pad

Post by remshooter »

have new win 1886 EL 47-70, the stock has flat shotgun style butt , just shot it with 405 gr jsp at 1600 fps ,think i need a recoil pad :lol: pachmeyer dosnot have a prefit pad for the 1886 , wht rifle model prefit pad is the closest fit for the flat butt 1886
Bullet Bob

Re: win 1886 recoil pad

Post by Bullet Bob »

These aren't as good as something like a decelerator, but this Galco pad is wrapped around and attached with a velcro flap so you can easily keep your gun stock, if that matters to you. It certainly is softer than the metal buttplate!

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

This is what I use on an original Ex-Lightweight 1886 with a shotgun butt. It slips on and ties up. I even made a little thing-of-ma-jig to connect a sling swivel on. Or you can just strap on a "Past" recoil pad that you wear. Brownells sells them.-----Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Mustang 22
Levergunner

Post by Mustang 22 »

I too have a new 1886 EL that I have now taken to the range three times. I have fired both factory ammo and my own reloads with bullits ranging from 300 gr to 405 gr. I too would be very interested in the answers to this question. I plan to use this rifle primarily for hunting but I have found that benching this rifle for 50 to 75 rounds can be a bit rough.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I also had one put on my EL. Yes, it helps recoil but it was mostly to get a longer pull. A perusal of those available didn't come with a perfect match so I fitted one. It is one of those higher tech sorbathane ones but I don't recall the brand name (not at home right now). FYI, the butt is not perfectly flat but it is flat enough that the backing on most recoil pads will bend to shape under some hot water. Match measurements off you rifle with the measurements of the ones available and you can get one close to minimize the sanding.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Large Kick-eez grind to fit.

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"....benching this rifle for 50 to 75 rounds can be a bit rough."

I'd suggest not shooting it off the bench first, unless checking a load for mechanical accuracy. Otherwise, shooting from a bench is the most uncomfortable way to shoot anything with power or recoil. If you must shoot from a bench, try piling up sandbags or whatever under the forend until you are sitting straight upright when you shoot (NOT leaning into it). Makes a huge difference.

In other news, I have no problem cutting a stock and installing a good pad if that makes the gun more fun or comfortable to shoot. I have an original Winchester 71 that someone had cut and put a pad on before I got it, doesnt bother me in the least.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?