How I spent my summer levergun safari part 1

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

How I spent my summer levergun safari part 1

Post by rjohns94 »

Wednesday morning broke none too soon as quickly packed my vehicle with rifles, clothes, cameras and excitement. Two hours to my brothers house and then, after a few errands, we were on our way. Friday night found us 12 miles from camp and we turned in at midnight in anticipation of hunt in Hondo, Texas. I got an invite out to the ranch early and by 1030 I was at the ranch, leaving my brother to get some work done. I was met at the club house by Rkrodle and I knew imediately this was going to be a special weekend. Eric and Calen were there (kinfolk fo Rkrodle) and Calen already had a fox and beautiful ram on the ground. His wonderful youthful enthusiasm was infectious and Eric was one of the most helpful and genuine people I have ever met. I was excited to go scout for game and soon Paul, the guide for the ranch, went out to get my brother while I went with 86er, Rkrodle and Richard, the owner of the ranch, out to the ranch house for some items. Rkrodle had all the auction items laid out at the club house which I pondered over and thoughts of bidding were on my mind as went out to collect a few other items.

When we returned, 86er took my brother and I out for a look at some game and after a while, we spotted a couple of bison that he was interested in. I will let him tell his story. We were trying to locate the larger bison on the ranch after several hours, we got a glimpse of it and my juices were flowing to get going. It was a very hot, arid day in Hondo, the ground dusty and parched though there was plenty of green in the flora. My brother made a nice shot on his bison before dinner and I was happy for success of his first game animal ever!!! His 1886, and Randy Garrett 45-70 +P ammo provided a quick and humane kill on his Bison and his success was a precurser to what I hoped would be mine. His initial shot was a double lung shot and the bison went down in less than 5 yards. Through dinner I was wishing the heat of the day away and looking forward to trying to locate my buff again. There was thoughts we might try in the am in the cool of the day.

Once back at the ranch, the word came that the Buff had been seen out on the back portion of the ranch. We got into the area and short stalk through the dust and low brush, put me close to my desired trophy. I was carrying my Shiloh Sharps in 45-70, a Heavy Hartford 30" barrel. I was shooting 500 grain round nose bullets at 1400 fps. I took a knee behind a bush and waited for the bison to offer itself to me. The gaze of the buff was looking for movement at the strange bushes 40 some yards away but seeing no movement, turned her head to the right and 1874's set trigger was pulled, and my trigger finger moved to the forward trigger, the open blade front, and buckhorn rear, aligned on a spot about 6 inches behind the bison's horn. I didn't like the angle of that shot so I followed the imprinted image of the anatomy of the bison that was burned into the synapses of my brain from months of studying. I moved to the spine shot futher aft and at the shot, the buff collapsed with a pass through of the spine, no steps taken. A dream animal and rifle combo that had resided on my top 100 things to do list, for some three and a half decades. As I offered the bison a handful of grass and gave up a prayer of thanks to my God, and to the direction of the four winds that this creatures ancestors felt, I realized how truly blessed I was to be in this place, and how honored I was to have such a trophy.

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Re: How I spent my summer levergun safari part 1

Post by GoatGuy »

Hooray for you rjohns94 and all of the rest of you levergunners on your Texas summer levergun safari. Those of us unable to attend are envious, you can bank on it!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

CONGRATS Mike. That's some special. Congrats to your brother also. 2 fine trophies. :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very Cool Mike!!

Love that Sharps! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Very Nice - great shooting - and great rifle - love those Sharps.
Sure do not see many of those buffs around York PA
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Excellent! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like the whole series. Sounds like fun!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Great shooting, Thanks for taking the time to share these memories with us. Makes me want to get out and hunt.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good post, and thanks for making us all part of something wonderful.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Awesome Mike! Thank you for sharing!!! :D
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Congrats Mike!! Great story.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I really appreciated Mike's enthusiasm and his previous quest for knowledge regarding the species available. He was able to choose effective shots and get the bullet there without hesitation. Once the shot was made he was extremely respectful to the animals, sort of reminded me of myself. When the bison passed, both of us had tears in our eyes. It was a special moment indeed.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well done Mike and yep the tears thing- I know :wink:

Good ole' black powder I trust?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

It was truly a magical, spiritual moment, and I was honored to observe it. The bison gave itself to Mike, and he honored it with the dignity she deserved. Her gutteral last breaths were heart-rending, and he thanked her for her sacrifice. I think we all shed some tears for her passing. Here are some other pictures of this treasured moment, and a wonderful trophy:

"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

That was quite the day for you, without a doubt!

Glad to have met you and I do hope we can get together at the next one! :D
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

86er wrote:When the bison passed, both of us had tears in our eyes. It was a special moment indeed.
Nath wrote:Well done Mike and yep the tears thing- I know :wink:
I'm glad to see I'm not the only "softie" who gets a little choked up afterwards... :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at