OT Savage 24 (pictures)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

OT Savage 24 (pictures)

Post by gamekeeper »

I picked up my Savage .22/.410 on Thursday and tried it out with a few CB longs, it shot to point of aim, so I set off for a quick walk around the woods. First shot with the .410 barrel got me a squirrel in an old oak tree, no rabbits about so I didn't have a chance to try the .22 barrel again.
I'm very pleased with the gun and it's not had much use since 1957 when it was made. Unfortunately whoever owned it before me did not treat it like a safe queen, it has a few marks on the bluing and stock but the bores are spotless.

Took it out again on Saturday with Shirley and GK Jr. We went to a wood where there are a lot of wild raspberries so we spent most of our time picking fruit and watching wild life.
Shirley took her brand new Webley & Scott O/U .410 but apart from shooting an old squirrel dray didn't get much chance to try it out. We all did a little plinking with the Savage and a box of sub sonics.

I thought you might like to see a few photos my son took, some are a bit shaky as he had a pump action in one hand and a camera in the other!

Young Roe Deer kid, its twin and mother were browsing nearby:

Male and female Silver-Washed Fritillary butterflies, which are common here but increasing scarce elswhere in the UK:

Here's a few more landscape shots:

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Savage 24 (pictures)

Post by Andrew »

Those are great pics GK. I like the Savage too; most all of the ones I have handled were of the dingy or synthetic.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice pic's, Gamekeeper.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

More than a bit of all right, I'd say !

I always enjoy your photos, as they show excellent skills & imagination. Good Show ! 8)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

As I said before, I think those are the nicest of the 24s.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

GK, I really enjoy the pictures and the 24 is beautiful indeed. Wonderful to be able to walk around such beautiful country.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

Beautiful pictures of your countryside. The Savage looks like a good fit for the terrain.
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Cool photo's!

I love the Savage 24! I have one EXACTLY like it and it see's the most shooting here on my little farm.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Unfortunately whoever owned it before me did not treat it like a safe queen, it has a few marks on the bluing and stock but the bores are spotless.
"THOSE are 'beauty marks' my friend; they each have a story to tell..." :wink:

(...of course some of the 'beauty marks' on my own guns aren't as much about heroic tales of old, as just tattle tales about me being stupid and leaning them up against a shelf that had a slick edge, or not making sure the sling swivel was on tight, but on 'old' guns at least we can imagine the bears and wild rebels and kids'-first-rabbits that could be the cause...)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thank's for the great photos and you have a fine combo, how will it do on fox?
I have a 24V in 30-30 and 20 gauge.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
bunklocoempire
Senior Levergunner

Post by bunklocoempire »

Nice pics and nice to see one with better wood than mine, I've got a Savage 24 22/410, cheap wood and that plastic trigger guard :oops: but it has big sentimental value and works well. Would like to find or rig up some peep sight or cheap scope for it if any have suggestions.

Thanks, Bunkloco
“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like a winner John, and I agree with AJMD429, those are just character marks. Now you won't have to worry about adding a few of your own! :wink:

I'd have though that wearing camo over there would be frowned upon. Certainly isn't square with the gentile and civilized society your government would have us all believe is the very essence of life in the UK! :roll:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I'd have though that wearing camo over there would be frowned upon. Certainly isn't square with the gentile and civilized society your government would have us all believe is the very essence of life in the UK! :roll:
The stores over here are awash with camo, even stupid flip flops can be got in camo.
I often buy trendy fashion gear and turn it into practical huntin' attire! Get some mighty funny looks when I shop in teenage boutiques! :lol:

I agree with the comments about marks on hunting rifles adding character but I think most of the dings on my Savage came from bad storage rather than honest wear and tear. The selector button had wood embedded in the grooves, possibly from another gun stock.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bunkloco,
In good light the sights are great but in poor light I'm glad it has a shotgun barrel!
I too would like to put a better rear sight on mine. the dovetail is tiny and I have never seen scope grooves so narrow. If I do find a replacement or alternative sight I'll post about it!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

nice rifle and nice pictures. I always thought a mod. 24 with .223 over a 12 ga. would be the best walking varmint rifle there is.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Don't make the mistake of scoping these guns, like I did to a .22Mag/20ga Deluxe, back in the -60's !

It takes ALL the fun out of them, besides making the gun virtually unusable as a shotgun.

By all means a peep can be added, though a taller front sight needs to be fashioned (none are available commercially AFAIK ) as a replacement for the existing screw-on - or, the issue sight may be "built up" taller with JB Weld & painted.

I added a Redfield clip-on peep, back in the day - but Williams offers a selection (3 or 5) today, of which I would modify the WGRS-54's dovetail structure to fit.

Williams also makes the 5D-22/410 clip-on, which would need no mods, but IIRC is a tad larger than the 54:

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/5D.htm
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Pete44ru,

Thanks for the link, it might be the way to go! No way would I scope it, I like it for its simplicity and ease of handling.

I first fired one like this in 1968 when I worked for Westley Richards and have wanted one ever since. :D
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The best 24 sights are out of print and found only in gun shop junk boxes, and on Ebay. :roll:

My solution for wanting to shoot slugs on my 24c was to get creative.
Slow is just slow.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wonderful pictures and a great time out together in beautiful countryside! thanks!
cable
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

yes fantastic, brill pictures GK, thanks.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
bunklocoempire
Senior Levergunner

Post by bunklocoempire »

Thanks all for the suggestions/help, my eyes aren't getting any better, are anybodys? :)

My 24 is the only .22 I have in my possesion right now and I have to make it work, nice to have it around but even nicer to be able to use it efficiantly.

Much thanks again! Nice to know folks at the armory! Bunkloco
“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Beautiful countryside. I love the photos; thanks for sharing
rbmcmjr
Levergunner

Post by rbmcmjr »

Nice to see another combo gun aficionado out there. Mine is a BRNO ZH307, which is .22 Hornet over 12 gauge. Not nearly as svelte as the Savage, but hell-for-strong and pretty in an Eastern European way.

Rick
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A .22Mag /20ga Model 24 just went up F/S on the Ruger forum for $275 !

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=32103
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Pete44ru wrote:A .22Mag /20ga Model 24 just went up F/S on the Ruger forum for $275 !

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=32103
Tempting, I have seen such a combo for sale over here.
If I could have one made to my own specification it would be a .32/20 over a 28Ga.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Nice pics and stories, guys. I just picked up a .357/20Ga just yesterday for a couple hundred. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

About 15 years ago I had a chance to purchase a nice old Stevens 24 in 22/410 . It had belonged to and old gunsmith friend ! He had run the 22LR chamber out to 22 MAG and it had the plastic wood grained Tenite stock .

I think it was sold for $125 and was in about 95% shape !

I'd still like to have one like this with the unseperated barrels !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, the one posted on the Ruger Forum is of that type and still F/S.
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

Gentlemaen, I have two williams WGRS peep sights that fit the scope tip-off grooves an the rifles. Thanks, moodyholler
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

hey moodyholler, can you still hook me up with the williams peep sights?
thanks, Paul

moodyholler wrote:Gentlemaen, I have two williams WGRS peep sights that fit the scope tip-off grooves an the rifles. Thanks, moodyholler
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

great photos and beautiful country.

(cas, nice macros and great set-up on your express sights)

game keeper, I'm also curious about the laws and storage of your firearms.
Do you keep that 24 at home, or do you check it out from storage at the constabulary.
thanks
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

bulldog1935 wrote:game keeper, I'm also curious about the laws and storage of your firearms.
Do you keep that 24 at home, or do you check it out from storage at the constabulary.
thanks
Wow :o this post is from 2008! santecruzpaul must have used the search button.

I sadly no longer have the Savage, I was offered over twice what I paid for it and succumbed to temptation :oops:

bulldog1935, storage of firearms in the UK, the police usually require that all rifles and shotguns are kept in a locked steel safe bolted to the wall etc. at the owners address but it can vary depending on circumstances.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

thanks for the info. I'm glad you can keep your own firearms locked up at home.
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

yes, did a little searching, didn't want to ask a bunch or redundant questions, may still need to take you up on that offer john.
Paul
game keeper wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:game keeper, I'm also curious about the laws and storage of your firearms.
thanks
Wow :o this post is from 2008! santecruzpaul must have used the search button.

I sadly no longer have the Savage, I was offered over twice what I paid for it and succumbed to temptation :oops:

bulldog1935, storage of firearms in the UK, the police usually require that all rifles and shotguns are kept in a locked steel safe bolted to the wall etc. at the owners address but it can vary depending on circumstances.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I sadly no longer have the Savage, I was offered over twice what I paid for it and succumbed to temptation :oops: ]

Nan-nyah, nan-nyah NAN-NYAH ! - It's only money, and more green can always be had - BUT - WHERE does one get another pristine 22/410 (or two ;) ) ?

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nice Pete!

I passed on one last fall on which a smith had neatly installed a Williams FP. As you know this is my favorite sight. The Tenite stocked Savage 24 22/410 is a gun I was loaned for a great hunt when I was a kid (my first called fox hunt). We used a RECORD PLAYER electronic call. VERY high speed for the time. Great memories. So nostalgia and an FP almost took the $350 out of my pocket but not quite. I regret not being a bit weaker. I only looked at that gun over 2 shows and handled it 15 times!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hobie, can you remember what front sight that Savage 24 had? moodyholler and I looked all over for a higher f/sight to match the Williams.

Now santacruzpaul might be requiring one.

Pete44ru, thanks for rubbing it in, I'm only just getting over my stupidity :lol:
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

well, this ain't exactly chopped liver, :) but Pete44ru"s older 24's are golden.

Pete44ru wrote:[I sadly no longer have the Savage, I was offered over twice what I paid for it and succumbed to temptation :oops: ]

Nan-nyah, nan-nyah NAN-NYAH ! - It's only money, and more green can always be had - BUT - WHERE does one get another pristine 22/410 (or two ;) ) ?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

since the cold war is now over and this has been declassified from ultra top secret eyes only, and we dont have to kill you if you ever saw it....... i can now reveal the existence of the ultimate 24C the Super Tacticool Assault and Survival Weapon. This would have turned the tide against the commie hoards if the cold war had turned hot:

nyahnyahnah etc etc I KNOW all of you want one!

it's military designation was the 24C-Survival and Assault Weapon, know as the 24C-SAW of course!
cable
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

touché! my friend,
Paul
hfcable wrote:since the cold war is now over and this has been declassified from ultra top secret eyes only, and we dont have to kill you if you ever saw it....... i can now reveal the existence of the ultimate 24C the Super Tacticool Assault and Survival Weapon. This would have turned the tide against the commie hoards if the cold war had turned hot:

it's military designation was the 24C-Survival and Assault Weapon, know as the 24C-SAW of course!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

hfcable, that Savage 24C has a COOL factor all of its own. 8) 8)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

hfcable wrote:since the cold war is now over and this has been declassified from ultra top secret eyes only, and we dont have to kill you if you ever saw it....... i can now reveal the existence of the ultimate 24C the Super Tacticool Assault and Survival Weapon. This would have turned the tide against the commie hoards if the cold war had turned hot:

How did you burn the forend? :lol:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

that is a spray on non-slip crinkle finish from a spray can.....couldnt think of what else to do with the forend.
this gun is quite accurate and usable, and never fails to attract attention of gunnie types like us. also prettty practical to carry in vehicle and on the 4wheeler out in the woods.
my son has appropriated it as his own, and as he grew up carrying it camping and shooting and riding i think that is good, but i sure will miss it, and i dont think i can ever find another of those buttstocks. [ $4.99 from sarco, still in its WWII hermetically sealed foil lined pouch when i got it ]
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When I was a bit younger, the presentation of something as kewl as that was known as "the perfect squelch" ! OUTSTANDING ! ! :P :P :P

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Pete44ru wrote:When I was a bit younger, the presentation of something as kewl as that was known as "the perfect squelch" ! OUTSTANDING ! ! :P :P :P

thank you. i sure wish sarco had some more of those folding stocks,apparently they would fit some of the savage/stevens doubles as well, and for years they were always on their advertising pages in shotgun news, so finally i got one. kept it for years til a friend sold me his 24 C with case and all for $100.00 that was over 20 years ago of course. i bet there is one of those stocks still somewhere in the sarco warehouses!
cable
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

thanks john, i got the williams wgrs reciever sight in the mail today, one heck of a fast trip across the pond! will be working on building up the front sight soon, and will be replacing the factory rear dovetail with a knock down sight, (thanks for the idea cas) since my 24 shoots slugs about 8 inches lower than the top barrel,
again thanks my friend,
Paul
game keeper wrote:Hobie, can you remember what front sight that Savage 24 had? moodyholler and I looked all over for a higher f/sight to match the Williams.

Now santacruzpaul might be requiring one.

Pete44ru, thanks for rubbing it in, I'm only just getting over my stupidity :lol:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Lovely countryside there! I was looking at your guns twin just the other day at my local shop. I was tempted, but thought better of it. Mostly since my wallet is flat.
NRA Life Member
Tebpac
Levergunner

Post by Tebpac »

Nice pictures and great little gun! I have the .22mag/20ga 3" Used to use it as a kid but ended up replacing the receiver at one point. While hunting with a friend, we were walking along when I noticed something fall from the gun. It was the trigger! Here, metal fatigue gave way on both sides of the trigger guard. Totally unusable. Ended up getting it fixed and shot a hen turkey with it 2 falls ago........Really like hunting with it..

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

It looks like my crude mockup from years ago, the NFA 24C. :lol:
Slow is just slow.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

it sure does!
did you ever see the photos of the semi-auto 22 /20 gauge gun being made in russia? it held several rounds of both 22 and 20 gauge and had a wooden stock, looked quite nice really. no one ever imported them i guess. sure would have been a fun little gun!
cable