OT - Oh My God !!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Oh My God !!!!!!!!!!

Post by 6pt-sika »

I just returned from a visit in a local gunshop here in the Philippines !

They had mostly new semi auto stuff , but they did have a couple Henry's as well ! Anyway a new Ruger 10-22 heavy barrel was selling for about $1200 american dollars !!!!!!! Whats that about two and a half times what we would pay !

Also looked at a pair of Oakley sun glasses , they were about $500 american !

Then on the other hand I can take an air conditioned taxi all over the city for a couple dollars !

Tanduay Rum , which is supposed to be the best rum in PI sells for about 50 cents a pint ! Where as at home in the USA a pint of Baccardi is about $12-15 I think !

In a decent resteraunt or bar a beer is about 50 cents ! A good meal in a nice resteraunt is about $7.50 american !

I had a lechon (roasted pig) saturday , my cost for the whole cooked pig and delivered was about $60 american !

Fresh pineapple are about a nickel ! Mango's are about 75 cents FRESH !

In some ways it's like you died and went to heaven and then in others well you see !

Also never walked in so many places with armed guards at the door in my life like I have since being here in PI !

If I survive more to come later !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
papasan
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - Oh My God !!!!!!!!!!

Post by papasan »

WOW..things must have changed big
time in The PI about guns. I spent
3 tours in the PI,69-71, 78-84
86-90 at Clark AB. Guns were a no no
except i guess the bad guys who could
get them. If they have gun shops who
can buy them? The only thing i ever saw was some places sold Air rifles.

I know an american could not have guns for sure. I had a friend who
got his household goods in from
CONUS. When they made the delivery
of his stuff, he made a comment he
could not wait to get his hands on
his Remington pump. Needless to say
all hell broke loose and the cops came and confiscated it big time.
Some how he managed to pack it unnoticed from the states when it was picked up to ship.

One thing i would still think is that
the dollar still goes A long way in
the Philippines.I still know guys that are still there,(retired) or
visit at times. In fact i retired
there in 1990, and left in 91 due to
Mt. Pinatubo, as luckily i still had
my travel benefits.

Somehow i got a taste for a cold
San Miguel Beer! Have one for me.

papasan

to confiscate it.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

It's still that way for an american to own a gun !

But filipino's can own them !
Matter of fact I was talking with an american guy at the airport that was married to a filipina . Think they had been married about 12 years anyway , he shoots trap and skeet over here and owns shotguns 1 However the guns , the car and the house all are in his wife's name as he can not own any of that stuff over here . Well maybe I am wrong about the car . But he told me he could not own guns or real estate here .

San Miguel is okay kinda reminds me of Pabst's Blue Ribbon !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The exchange rate at the moment is 44.5 Pesos for a dollar !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I went to the local bank today to get some money . And they have a 20,000 Peso minnimum . Most taxi's etc cannot break 500 or 1000 peso notes . So when I came from the bank I had a roll of money that would choke a horse ! When in reality it was a little less then $500 american !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The first time I was a millionaire was in Korea. I had $5,000,000 Won... I think it was $10,000 at the time. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Now if only they would let me bring my ENTIRE arsenal into the country and chase sambar's in the mountains of Mindanao , I would have the perfect place to retire :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

But then if they allowed me to do that I would have to change my handle from 6pt-sika to 6pt-sambar :lol:
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I have heard that they have pretty restrictive gun legislation. Something like 1 x .22 rifle, 1 x shotgun and a pistol per person. That must be fairly recent, if true. I remember being in Manila during election time back in the seventies and every campaigner had an armed entourage with all manner of weapons.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

It may not be only one of each but the rules are restrictive.

According to Philippine lawyer Johnmuel Mendoza, President of PROGUN (Peaceful Responsible Owners of Guns):

"Getting a firearms license is not a right, it is a privilege in the Philippines whose constitution, unlike the US, does not guarantee the right to bear arms.

Instead, the law only allows qualified Filipinos to own shotguns, .22 calibre rifles and certain types of handguns -- and only if they comply with a numerous requirements for a firearms license.

This includes taking a drugs test, getting approvals from various law-enforcement agencies and submitting documents showing they are gainfully employed. They also have to shell out 4,000 pesos (77.10 dollars) in fees, which excludes the cost of the firearm.

Even then, the gun owner is not allowed to take his firearm outside. It requires another permit -- with more fees -- just to take it to the firing range for practice shooting. "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote:However the guns , the car and the house all are in his wife's name as he can not own any of that stuff over here :o . Well maybe I am wrong about the car . But he told me he could not own guns or real estate here .
I don't usually object to any posts here, but I may have to ask Hobie to delete this one quick, before my wife sees it, and gets any ideas...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

At the Acredale post office, in the Kempsville area of Virginia Beach, I routinely see lines and lines of Filipinos with huge boxes of various goods they are sending back to the PI. I have seen the same thing at the Norfolk Airport. FYI, Virginia Beach supposedly has the largest Filipino population on the East Coast.
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ah, good ol' San Miguel beer... how I remember... wait, I don't remember ANYTHING! I was never there... :twisted: :roll:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AJMD429 wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:However the guns , the car and the house all are in his wife's name as he can not own any of that stuff over here :o . Well maybe I am wrong about the car . But he told me he could not own guns or real estate here .
I don't usually object to any posts here, but I may have to ask Hobie to delete this one quick, before my wife sees it, and gets any ideas...
:lol:

I knew a fellow in Korea, a military retiree, like that. Yes, he was VERY good to his Korean wife!!!! :lol: Of course it balanced out as his retirement income at the time was several times the average middle-income wage AND in US dollars AND he had access to the PX/Commissary and on-post health care. SWEET at the time.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:
:lol:

I knew a fellow in Korea, a military retiree, like that. Yes, he was VERY good to his Korean wife!!!! :lol: Of course it balanced out as his retirement income at the time was several times the average middle-income wage AND in US dollars AND he had access to the PX/Commissary and on-post health care. SWEET at the time.

I could actually see me retiring here strange as that may sound !

But if I do you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll keep a house somewhere in the USA as well !