OT- Question for the IT guys

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

OT- Question for the IT guys

Post by jfwlb »

I'm not the most savvy when it comes to computers, but I've built a few and know my way around the basics. However, I'm stumped by this question.

I use Firefox as my default browser, my OS is Vista 32 ultimate. before the change over happened, whenever I would click on a link in a post, it would open up in a new page. Now, when I click on a link it loads in the same page I'm currently viewing. I don't like this.

I don't know if it had anything to do with the change, or with a new version of Firefox that updated at around the same time. I have been trying for some time to figure out how to change this setting but have had no luck. I have finally surrendered my pride and have asked here on the site.

I looked in the user control panel, to no avail. I also looked in the help, options part of Firefox because that is where I assumed it to be in. No luck.

This feature works fine at other boards I frequent, just not this one. So what am I missing guys? Anybody else have this same problem? Most importantly, how do I fix this?

Thanks
John
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Question for the IT guys

Post by awp101 »

It's something in the board softwatre I believe. I get the same thing using Internet Exploder...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
CindyLea
Levergunner

Post by CindyLea »

I get it too...To solve this I right click on the links...Use the button under your birdie finger (I forget I have one there most times.. :lol: ) You get a mini menu box..click on the open in new tab or open in new window options.

Hope this helps.

CindyLea
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Yeah, for me, it only does that here i.e., other forums open new windows. I prefer the new window cause it's easier to just close it when your done and be back at the place you left off. I just adapted to pressing my Mouse3 button and it opens up a tab.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I try to right-click everything, then I can choose the action. Sometimes you can set the default action (the bold one in the list) to something else, but I'm not familiar with Firefox to know where the setting might be. I might inquire as to why (given your stated experience level) you choose the non-standard browser, but I'll assume you have your reasons other than somebody said to.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

It does it on Mac OS X Safari browser also.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

John,

I found the same problem, after the "changeover". I brought up the issue in the new Forum "Teething Troubles" thread. I got NO commentary from anyone. I figured it was the forum's programming that caused it, but the "old" version of the current forum would open up a new window for every click that I made on every link. I want this feature/ function reinstated! :wink: :D :twisted: :wink: :D

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If I could help I would. Unfortunately, I'm totally ignorant on the subject.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I took a look and there's no setting for this behavior in the forum control panel, at least none that is obvious. In Firefox and Seamonkey you can set the behavior of the browser when clicking on a link. You go into the options and look around a bit and you'll find where you can set a link to open in a new window or a new tab. I've NO idea about Internet Explorer as it causes me to break out in an allergic reaction. Well, not really, I just refuse to use it for the most part. BUT, somewhere under "Tools" I'd suspect you might find something, probably under Internet Options. Anyway, there's nothing I can do from here at this time, but you CAN set up Mozilla's browsers to do that if you want.

Me? I prefer to right click and "Open Link In New Tab". I'll open a bunch of tabs in the background and then work my way through the list. But that's just weird ol' me.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks for the replies, everybody. At least I know it's not just me! :lol:

To everyone that advised to right click and choose open in new window, that's what I'm doing now, I would just rather eliminate that step.

Hagler: Me too! :D :twisted:

AmBraCol: I swear it used to be in the tools: options menu in FireFox, but now I can't find it. I am using FireFox version 2.0.0.16, anybody know if using the new version(3.0) is any different?

John
jb00_98
Levergunner

Post by jb00_98 »

I tried Firefox v3 and couldn't get my links/tabs/windows to behave the way they I liked, so I uninstalled that version and re-installed v2 (you should be able to find it here http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html). I also re-installed the "TabMixPlus v0.3.6" add-on (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1122) I originally had in v2 that gave me back the control I was looking for. From what I've read, there isn't an official "release" of this add-on for Firefox v3 just yet--only a development/beta version...

From Firefox v2, going to Tools -> Options -> Tabs, there is a setting for new pages to open in 1-new window, 2-new tab, 3-current tab. The TabMixPlus add-on will give you many more options for how links/tabs/windows will behave.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks for the advise, jb00_98

Unfortunately, I still can't get firefox to work right. I went to tools: options: and the setting for opening new pages in new window is checked. I even tried setting it to open in new tab and nothing changed. It still opens in the same tab.

I also downloaded the add-on you suggested and it did nothing for me.

I think I will try and see what happens if I use IE instead of FF. I hate IE, but I have to use it every day because my hotmail won't work in FF for some ungodly reason either.

John

edit: Well, that didn't work either. I guess I'm stuck with right-clicking all the links. Maybe it will make my middle finger stronger. :lol: