First ever range report ... and with new Browning 1886 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

First ever range report ... and with new Browning 1886 SRC

Post by alnitak »

Well, given the caliber (no pun intended) of the shooters on this forum, I hesitate to post a range report, but I had a chance to shoot my new Browning 1886 SRC today. It was a gift from my brother (I know...wow!), and this was my my first experience with the renowned .45-70 cartridge. Not knowing what to expect, I shot the first five shots off-hand at 25 yards. More kick than my 1894 Trapper in .44 magnum, but not too bad, and all the shots were grouped, probably around 3". So I next moved to the 50 yard table. The first shot was low off the paper, which surprised me since the sights were dead on at 25 yards. I didn't think it would drop that much. Of course, I was using the cheapest ammo the shop had, Ultramax in a faded-red, old-time looking box. (It's also possible I just didn't have the right sight picture.) So, I pulled up the rear ladder sight and set it as low as possible. Set it on the bull and fired...high (#1 on the paper). Then I started walking the shot up from the bottom of the target, with the sight picture starting below the paper. I loaded five at a time, even though the magazine holds six. The results are below.

I was really happy with #5, since I had just reloaded and tried to match the previous shot. Then I adjusted to the bull for #6,7, and 8. Not sure what happened with #9, except I think I rushed it a bit. Anyway, as with my other guns, this rifle shoots far better than I do. What a beautiful piece of equipment! Browning sure does it right. Thanks Bro!
Last edited by alnitak on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Re: First ever range report with new Browning 1886 SRC

Post by TNBigBore »

Makes me miss my Browning 1886 SRC. I have not been able to satisfy the itch since parting with mine. They are extremely nice rifles. Sounds like you are already attached to yours.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: First ever range report ... and with new Browning 1886 SRC

Post by rjohns94 »

EXCELLENT SHOOTING. I think the game is gonna fall for sure. Might as well bust the bubble now on the mystery. Alnitak is my older brother by four years, and my best friend. You are welcome BRO! and thanks to mod71alaska for making this possible. We are going to enjoy our trip in a couple of weeks and I look forward to sharing the hunt with you.
Last edited by rjohns94 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Welcome. Your brother has very good taste and you are a lucky man to say the least. Many here feel the SRC was/is the nicest variant of the 86 line. Probably will not ever part with mine. Regards. 1886.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mike -

Could you have a few words with my brothers? :wink:

alnitak -

Impressive shooting! Looks like that is a keeper in more ways than one!!! :D
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

1886 wrote:Your brother has very good taste and you are a lucky man to say the least.
Your couldn't have said it better. If it weren't for my brother, I never would have first gotten into shooting many years ago, and then again 4-5 years past. I'm really looking forward to the trip, and can't thank Mike enough for all he's done. You all know how generous he is, both on this forum and in his ministry tasks. I have much to thank you for, Mike ... but the gun (and the friendship) has got to rank up there! :wink: :D
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I assure all that Alnitak has given more to me than he has ever received from me. But enough of this family patting on the back... lets talk leverguns.

Alnitak, what was the weight of your bullets? Did the 45-70 surprise you in recoil? How do you find the sights on the 1886?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great grouping! I buffalo better be scared when they see us coming!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

86er wrote:Great grouping! I buffalo better be scared when they see us coming!
I'm hoping!
rjohns94 wrote:Alnitak, what was the weight of your bullets? Did the 45-70 surprise you in recoil? How do you find the sights on the 1886?
Mike, per your suggestion, I was shooting the 405 gr. I looked at the Remington ammo, and it was $14 more expensive per box. So I figured I needed more practice than better ammo! :wink:

Recoil wasn't too bad, at first. I must admit though, by the time I got to #'s 29 & 30 (the last ten shots were at the 100 yard range), my shoulder was a little sore. All the muscle I had up there once is now around my middle. :cry: :evil: It's just skin and bone, so not much padding. And I'm sure the Randy Garret 420 gr +P will kick a bit more, so I will have to get used to it in a hurry.

Sights were good, surprisingly. They're thinner than on the Winchester, which actually help. Of course, in low light, that may be an issue. Going to the gun show today, may look at a tang peep site.
Last edited by alnitak on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

The only thing my brother ever gave me was chicken pox.... :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, nice carbine ! You are a lucky man.