Puma 44 bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Puma 44 bullets

Post by mikld »

I have a Puma in 44 Mag that I really like, but the bore is oversized (slugged @ .432"). I can live with that as long as I can get cast bullets .431" or .432". I know I can buy .432" bullets (got some from Beartooth) but I also have been casting some for my other 44s; Lee 240 SWC tumble lube that drop out of the mold at .430". The T/L works for me in my handguns with light loads for punching paper. Now my question; How can I "bump up" cast lead bullets .002" or so? I've polished out my push through sizing die to .4305" but I think I need .432" for best preformance. Any ideas?

Mike
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Puma 44 bullets

Post by TedH »

You can try some aluminum duct tape on one side of your mold. That would hold it open about .001"-.002". Your bullets won't be perfectly round when they drop out, but your sizer should fix that and they will be at the desired diameter.
NRA Life Member
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

you can use FLUE tape it holds up to the heat better.
and if you are using aluminum molds you can also
lap the mold out to te diameter you need there are several
threads on this over at "castboolits/gunloads".
just search that it will come right up.
look under 'beagling".
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Thanks guys. I have about 800 various 44 bullets on hand (mostly .429 LSWC that I got a deal on) that I was wondering if the already cast bullets could be "bumped up"? I've read about "begaling" and thanks for reminding me about it, I'll try that next time I fire up my lead pot.

Mike
Mike
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Yes you can bump up cast bullets to some degree, but a lot depends on hardness. You have to have a good sizing press and proper fitting sizer and nose punch. I have bumped some up maybe .002 or so. Hard bullets are just that hard and you might damage a bullet sizing set up if you try to go too far. Results vary, but hard to tell until it is tried. If they have already been sized and lubed it may get tricky but it may be worth a try. I do it mostly to expand the bullet nose on some bullets such as the 311284 to get a tighter fit on the bore riding portion of the nose. Just my thoughts on the subject. Good luck.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

You had better plan on running them bullets up to 433 at least for the best accuracy. I had a Puma that ran 431 and I finally got good 100 yard groups at 433. Bumping a soft bullet can be done by leaninbg on the handle of your sizer but w/w bullets will need a special die and a good press.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

mikld,
I have a '73 Winchester also with an oversized .433" groove diameter.

I have used the lubrisizer to bump up bullets, but it can be a bit hard on them (broke one side of the handle on an RCBS lubrisizer) depending on the bhn of the bullet.

The very best way I found to bump up bullets is to:
1.) Take a fired case and run the neck expander back in to remove the left over crimp.
2.) Have a machinist turn a piece of aluminum / steel to .434" diameter for about 5/16" long , then tapered to provide some clearance as the case gets smaller inside toward the bottom. The length of the rod would be 3/4".
3.) With the rod inside the case, put your seating die in your press and adjust it not to crimp. Place a bullet into the case and adjust the seating screw to bump the bullet to the required diameter.
(If the case will not fit into the die because the o.d. is too big with the .434" rod in place, take some very fine sandpaper / emery cloth and turn it back and forth around the case until it fits.)
Over the past several years I've done a few thousand of bullets this way and it works great! :D

Have fun!
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Curiousgb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Curiousgb »

Don't send it in for repair. Mine has been at Sports World since the first of May. I called today and was told they are still waiting on a barrel. Something about new import rules. I think I will be calling LSI soon to put in a WTF.
rwb
Levergunner

Post by rwb »

Ranch dog molds sells a lee mold that drops them at .432 for the marlins. They are fairly inexpensive and a lot of guys like them. I am not a caster yet but but I have a 45 Rossi coming and two five gallon pails full of wheel weight waiting.

Russ
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I had given thought to "swaging" the bullet to a larger diameter, but didn't think of a fired case to use as a "die". I didn't want to invest in a swaging die .433" either ($$$). I'll try this.

And I'll look into a mold from Ranch Dog too.

Thanks!
Mike
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Update?
Today I ordered a Ranch Dog mold in .432, 260 gr. I think this will fit my needs! I may try to size the slugs down to .430" for use in my T/C Contender as well as "as cast" in my Puma.

Thanks for all the info!
Mike
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Let us know how they do after you send some downrange.
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

You can melt the undersized bullets to use in the RanchDog mold.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com