Movie Recommendation. original 1957 3:10 to Yuma

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Movie Recommendation. original 1957 3:10 to Yuma

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Much better than the recently released 3:10, which i liked.....

Van Heflin plays a farmer suffering from a drought. He is a quiet, seemingly passive man who becomes a reluctant hero. Heflin agrees to hold criminal Glenn Ford in a hotel room for $200 just long enough for the train to Yuma to leave at 3:10. Ford's gang, however, learns about the situation and plans to take action. The characters and performances by Ford and Heflin make the film work. Heflin is outwardly reluctant to take this job, but his strength lies within. The struggle within him is evident: Here's a family man who can save his farm or do what he knows is right. Ford, the criminal, is alluring, almost charming. He's a con artist and a cold-blooded killer, but you can't help liking him just a little. Sure, he's a criminal, but not your typical stereotyped Western bad guy. The suspense and tension waiting for the train rival that of HIGH NOON (just without the clock!). if you like Westerns, you'll like 3:10 TO YUMA.

Charlie....(Richard Jaeckel) the guy 2nd in command of the gang....in this movie is much better
than the guy who played the charater in the new movie....(He was the short bad guy
in Chism with John Wayne)

the ending is not the same as the new one
nope....I not going to tell ya....not even a hint.....
you'll just have to watch it!

yea...theres a few leverguns too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
CindyLea
Levergunner

Re: Movie Recommendation. original 1957 3:10 to Yuma

Post by CindyLea »

I prefer the older version, myself. MUCH better if you ask me.

CindyLea
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

+2

The original is the better presentation of the story.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

The original is the better presentation of the story.
It's also a better movie.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Glen Ford and Van Heflin or Rusty ????? naa think I'll stick with the original version.
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

I guess I'll have to watch the old version to.

(I've probably seen it but to long ago to remember)

I imagine I'll like them both as long as I don't expect the same thing out of both!
AQHA Life Member
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I've not seen the original version, but the primary thing I liked about the recent version was the authentic firearms that were used, especially the Schofields and the Spencer. I get tired of seeing Colt SAA's all the time in Western movies. I have a couple of sixgun history books, one by Charlie Pate and another by David Chicoine, and was surprised to learn that the S&W top breaks outsold the Colt SAA's up until the 1890's, at which time the Colt numbers exceeded the S&W numbers. They have the actual numbers published in their books. Among civilians, the S&W (cowboys and outlaws) the S&W top breaks were the most common. The Colt SAA, on the other hand, was the main sixgun used by the US Cavalry, although the S&W 1st Model American and the S&W Schofields were also used in very significant numbers by the US Cavalry as well. Don't get me wrong .... I am a fan of the Colt 1873 SAA, especially in 45 Colt, but I also really like the S&W top breaks, and like to see an authentic representation of firearms in Old West movies. Just to spice up this post, here's a photo of my S&W 2nd Model American in .44 Caliber, shipped from the factory in 1873 (pristine bore and chambers, boys!). ...
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

You mentioned Richard Jaeckel in the film. I have watched his movie career since he appeared with John Wayne in Sands of Iwo Jima. My wife and I always refer to him as the "eternal kid" for his youthful appearance in over 50 years of film. Always cast as a feisty character and later in his career mostly as the bad guy.
Someone also mentioned the more correct use of firearms in newer films. Most producers in the old Hollywood days didn't know a Colt SAA from a S&W 38 M&P. they simply went with what ever the prop department came up with. I think the care that is now being used to provide date and peroid correct firearms in film and TV can be traced to widely available replica firearms, and independent companies supplying them to the film industery. They are not just the studio prop men , most of which didn't really know or care about the difference anyway. This also holds true for the costumes. How many westerns did you watch where the actors wore string ties, short embroidered boots, belts, and buscadero quick draw holster rigs. No bandanas, suspenders, high top boots or chaps. All were clean shaven and squeekly clean. John Wayne always used a more correct holster setup in all his films.
Last edited by Gun Smith on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

KirkD wrote:I've not seen the original version, but the primary thing I liked about the recent version was the authentic firearms that were used, especially the Schofields and the Spencer. I get tired of seeing Colt SAA's all the time in Western movies. I have a couple of sixgun history books, one by Charlie Pate and another by David Chicoine, and was surprised to learn that the S&W top breaks outsold the Colt SAA's up until the 1890's, at which time the Colt numbers exceeded the S&W numbers. They have the actual numbers published in their books. Among civilians, the S&W (cowboys and outlaws) the S&W top breaks were the most common. The Colt SAA, on the other hand, was the main sixgun used by the US Cavalry, although the S&W 1st Model American and the S&W Schofields were also used in very significant numbers by the US Cavalry as well. Don't get me wrong .... I am a fan of the Colt 1873 SAA, especially in 45 Colt, but I also really like the S&W top breaks, and like to see an authentic representation of firearms in Old West movies. Just to spice up this post, here's a photo of my S&W 2nd Model American in .44 Caliber, shipped from the factory in 1873 (pristine bore and chambers, boys!). ...
YOU ARE SO RIGHT....IT ALWAYS IRKS ME WHEN THEY DONT USE
PERIOD CORRECT FIRARMS...
BTW, I LOVE YOUR SMITH.....SIMPLY AWESOME
SO IS THE PICTURE...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I watched both twice in the last 7-8 months and I liked both movies, but neither were what I would call "great" or "over the top".
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I too prefer the older version, especially when you compare it to the original story. IMHO they turned a good story with a moral into a shoot 'em up.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

KCSO wrote:I too prefer the older version, especially when you compare it to the original story. IMHO they turned a good story with a moral into a shoot 'em up.
That seems to be often the case today ..... going for the easy, quick thrill at the expense of a quality movie that builds plot, develops the characters, and illustrates a good moral principle or virtue. There are modern exceptions, of course, but I don't watch movies often enough to find them.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
99savage308
Levergunner

Post by 99savage308 »

3:10 to Yuma

Yep, the first one is the best and will be the best. Remakes of movies never work.
-- NRA Life Member --

--Searching for more light --

-- keep your powder dry --
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KirkD wrote:Just to spice up this post, here's a photo of my S&W 2nd Model American in .44 Caliber, shipped from the factory in 1873 (pristine bore and chambers, boys!). ...
Some of those reloads of yours over to the right of the photo didn't size down very well; I'd not shoot them in the Smith & Wesson unless you run them through a Lee Factory Crimp die first... :roll:

Seriously - an AWESOME gun aesthetically, mechanically, and sounds like a great find/buy. Even a cool photo.

I never had a 'real' top-break gun, but I shot one of those little H&R top-break .22's as a kid - does that count?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

KirkD wrote:I've not seen the original version, but the primary thing I liked about the recent version was the authentic firearms that were used, especially the Schofields and the Spencer. I get tired of seeing Colt SAA's all the time in Western movies. I have a couple of sixgun history books, one by Charlie Pate and another by David Chicoine, and was surprised to learn that the S&W top breaks outsold the Colt SAA's up until the 1890's, at which time the Colt numbers exceeded the S&W numbers. They have the actual numbers published in their books. Among civilians, the S&W (cowboys and outlaws) the S&W top breaks were the most common. The Colt SAA, on the other hand, was the main sixgun used by the US Cavalry, although the S&W 1st Model American and the S&W Schofields were also used in very significant numbers by the US Cavalry as well. Don't get me wrong .... I am a fan of the Colt 1873 SAA, especially in 45 Colt, but I also really like the S&W top breaks, and like to see an authentic representation of firearms in Old West movies. Just to spice up this post, here's a photo of my S&W 2nd Model American in .44 Caliber, shipped from the factory in 1873 (pristine bore and chambers, boys!). ...
The mass of photos from the period sure seem to suggest that Pate and Chicoine's info is correct. Lot's o' Smith's! Great photo/Smith KirkD....you got skills dude!

You guys have me on the look out for this movie(old version). Bought Hondo tonight and really enjoyed it.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8