Rossi/Puma

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Rossi/Puma

Post by jkbrea »

I'm thinking of getting a new rifle.(who isn't) I have a Marlin 45-70,Winchester 30-30.,and a Henry .22. (The last two from forum members :D ). Anyways, I take a 5th wheel camping and have been taking the 30-30 but it's a little long to store. I've been thinking of a 16" .357 or .44 and am leaning to a Rossi. I've heard about the ugly safety and stiff trigger pulls but honestly have never held or shot one. What are some suggestions to modify one right off? It will probably be my home/truck gun so it doesn't need to be totally tricked out.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Rossi/Puma

Post by J Miller »

jkbrea wrote:I'm thinking of getting a new rifle.(who isn't) I have a Marlin 45-70,Winchester 30-30.,and a Henry .22. (The last two from forum members :D ). Anyways, I take a 5th wheel camping and have been taking the 30-30 but it's a little long to store. I've been thinking of a 16" .357 or .44 and am leaning to a Rossi. I've heard about the ugly safety and stiff trigger pulls but honestly have never held or shot one. What are some suggestions to modify one right off? It will probably be my home/truck gun so it doesn't need to be totally tricked out.
You need look no further than our own Nate Kiowa Jones. He has a spring kit, a DIY video, and a replacement part to do away with the widget on the bolt. You can buy these from him and do the work yourself, or ship the gun to him for the work, or buy the gun from him already worked over.

I've had an older Rossi Puma in .45 Colt that was a total thing, but I did like the way it worked and handled after it got fixed. In you case I think I'd go for the .44 or .45 in the 16" barrel. That makes a very handy package.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mustang 22
Levergunner

Post by Mustang 22 »

I guess I just lucked out. I bought a Rossi 92 in 45LC/454. I have taken it to the range I think three times. It never was real bad, a little stiff at first but the trigger was good. After the third trip the action has smoothed out nicely, it's very slick. The only complaint I have, is shooting 454 at the range, especialy from the bench with this light carbine is not to much fun. Shooting the 45 is a gass. I credit the members of this forum for the enjoyment I have gotten from the Rossi, my first lever gun, the decision to buy it was made after reading the comments of members. :mrgreen:
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

The stainless Puma Trapper .45 I handled last week wasn't too bad. Nowhere near as rough as I expected. Felt like it would've slicked up nicely without too much effort. I'm pretty picky but if it had been a .44 I would've brought it home. I'll probably go back and have them order me one. I'll drill and tap it for a peep sight.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have 3 of the Rossis. 2 in .357 and one in .45 Colt. The .45 Colt is the "Short Rifle" from EMF. I slicked all three up myself and are really nice little carbines/rifle now. I don't know if the 16" version is available in .45 Colt, but that's make a handsome and handy truck gun. (Although I do like my .30-30 Trapper). I just feel the wider selection of .452 bullets make it a more viable option, plus, some of the .44 Mag guns have been received with .431 bores, a little overlarge when your best selection of ready-made bullets measure .429.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pahunter
Levergunner

Post by pahunter »

I have a Rossi in 357, bought it about 2 years ago. The trigger is fine and it shoots great with 357 mags and 38 specials. The wood is nice and the finish very good. The safety on top of the bolt is like a mmmole(!) on a supermodel, but I can live with it.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 for Nate Kiowa Jones on the stupid little safety --- or get a pre 2006 EMF, Navy Arms (or even earlier and more prevalent used) Interarms one without. Older trappers do not abound but they're out there.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Griff wrote:I have 3 of the Rossis. 2 in .357 and one in .45 Colt. The .45 Colt is the "Short Rifle" from EMF. I slicked all three up myself and are really nice little carbines/rifle now. I don't know if the 16" version is available in .45 Colt, but that's make a handsome and handy truck gun. (Although I do like my .30-30 Trapper). I just feel the wider selection of .452 bullets make it a more viable option, plus, some of the .44 Mag guns have been received with .431 bores, a little overlarge when your best selection of ready-made bullets measure .429.
Griff,
I went to Bass Pro today to check out rifles. They had a 16" /45 Colt. Never held a lever gun that short, but it seems perfect for what I want. I'm not sure I can "slick" it up myself so if I get one, Ill try to get Nate to clean it up. Still can't decide on the caliber. :?
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

jkbrea wrote:
Griff wrote:I have 3 of the Rossis. 2 in .357 and one in .45 Colt. The .45 Colt is the "Short Rifle" from EMF. I slicked all three up myself and are really nice little carbines/rifle now. I don't know if the 16" version is available in .45 Colt, but that's make a handsome and handy truck gun. (Although I do like my .30-30 Trapper). I just feel the wider selection of .452 bullets make it a more viable option, plus, some of the .44 Mag guns have been received with .431 bores, a little overlarge when your best selection of ready-made bullets measure .429.
Griff,
I went to Bass Pro today to check out rifles. They had a 16" /45 Colt. Never held a lever gun that short, but it seems perfect for what I want. I'm not sure I can "slick" it up myself so if I get one, Ill try to get Nate to clean it up. Still can't decide on the caliber. :?

When in doubt, buy the 44. Ammunition available where ever you go. Not so with the 45LC. The 44 will do everything the 45LC will do and sometimes better. :wink:

Can't ya just tell I love the 44's. :!:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

If you look around - you could find one used with NO safety!!! I got my .357 Rossi SRC for only $250 off the "used rack" at a local shop and it was "like-new" condition. It still needed to be "cleaned-up", but it was a nice enjoyable day's work and a "labor of love" no less.

I followed the instructions posted here->

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/rossitune.htm

I couldn't be happier with my Rossi / Puma 92 lever..
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I have seen some older (Interarms era) Trapper 44s lately - with big loop lever. I got one a year ago,...I prefer the regular lever in the Trapper esp - so had a smith swap out one of my other 20" carbine/s with this, so now have a nice "regular" saddle ring trapperand "Rifleman" type reg carbine. This Trapper was like new also--though going on 15 years old or more. Look around, you'll find them. Some of these are rougher out of the box than others and many benefit from about 200 (+) "dry" ratchetings (leverings) to help smooth out...but Nate (NKJ) otherwise still the one to slick it up even if you find one w/o safety in the first place.