What to expect from a custom hat - Update 7-18

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

What to expect from a custom hat - Update 7-18

Post by CraigC »

I figured this would be the crowd to ask. Up to this point, my "custom" experience has been limited to guns and leather. About eight months ago I placed an order for a custom cowboy hat in 50X pure beaver felt. Actually two, one for me and one for the old man. At this time the popular maker will remain nameless. Thought at the time to be my only option with my enormous melon. Since then I found perfect fit with a slightly reshaped size 8 Resistol. Which sort of limits my frame of reference to these two hats. I recently received said custom hat and I am wondering if minor imperfections are to be expected because it is hand made and is not stamped on a machine? Specifically part of the brim is a little wavy and the crown is not symmetrical. I have to return the hat anyway (again!) so I'm wondering if I need to have him correct the flaws or is it just typical of a handmade hat. Because my gut tells me to expect near perfection.
Last edited by CraigC on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What to expect from a custom hat

Post by O.S.O.K. »

All of the custom made hats that I've seen are really nice. You're paying top dollar. And I've seen a bunch as I hung with a pretty well heeled crowd back when I was big into CAS.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'd say your gut feelings are correct. I have bought genuine J.B.Stetsons that were pretty near perfect and they were not "custom" made. If I paid extra I would only accept perfection.

Bet ya dain't expect a reply from England! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I wear good hats daily. After you wear one for a week you will have some "minor flaws" anyway.

Rumor has it that Hollywood pays good money for folks to age hats. I guess you have to define "perfect" ...if the hat is ok with you the way it came-go with it.

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

The real question is, does it fit like a custom? If it does, then its worth its weight in gold despite the slight imperfection.

Hint: Learn how to steam your own hat...it'll pay dividends and then and only then you can make it "your" hat.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Thanks for the input so far, I really appreciate it.
O.S.O.K. wrote:All of the custom made hats that I've seen are really nice. You're
paying top dollar. And I've seen a bunch as I hung with a pretty well
heeled crowd back when I was big into CAS.
I have to agree. To me, the custom hat should have fewer imperfections than an off-the-shelf hat that costs a lot less. Not more

game keeper wrote:Bet ya dain't expect a reply from England! :wink:
I was hopin'! Hey, you guys invented "bespoke".

Hillbilly wrote:I wear good hats daily. After you wear one for a week you will have some "minor flaws" anyway.

Rumor
has it that Hollywood pays good money for folks to age hats. I guess
you have to define "perfect" ...if the hat is ok with you the way it
came-go with it.
I've got no problem with putting some flaws on there myself. I just figured it would come out of the box as near to perfect as possible. Or at least better than a common factory felt hat. First impression was not a good one. I just need to know if maybe my expectations were too high.

El Mac wrote:The real question is, does it fit like a custom? If it does, then its worth its weight in gold despite the slight imperfection.

Hint: Learn how to steam your own hat...it'll pay dividends and then and only then you can make it "your" hat.
No, it doesn't. I didn't want to get into this part of it but I first got the hat a month ago. He somehow managed to screw up the orders and made both hats the same size, both too small. He totally owned up to it and refunded my return shipping so at this point customer service has been good. I got it back two days ago and now the band seems to be the proper size and shape but the crown creases are so deep there's not enough room for my head. Crown height is identical to my Resistol. I'm a patient man but all this foolishness is really taking the fun out of it. I agree on the steaming, that's a good idea.

I probably should post a picture or two. I just don't want to publicly deride the maker until I feel he's earned it.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've bought a number off the rack and only one custom. My last one was a Christmas present from the wife and it was the custom. I'm not going to name any names but I wouldn't buy from them again. When I got the hat there were dirty fingerprints around the brim. It's a bone color (off white). If I knew how to remove them I would have but figuring it was brand new I sent it back. The call to the office should of warned me. Of course it wasn't the hatter, so I asked to speak to the hatter and she said he isn't available. I asked when he would be available and she said he won't speak to you. I asked why not and she said he doesn't like to talk on the phone. I should of requested a refund on the spot, but I didn't. I told her the problem and she said, well, did you get it dirty. I told her no I just opened the box and it was like that. She then tried blaming it on the carriers saying it must of gotten wet. I told her it was packed inside a plastic bag and the box shows no signs of water damage. She told me her husband does the final inspection and he would of seen something like that. I told her, whatever, I'm sending it back and expect it returned right. I got it back but I wouldn't use them again. I know not naming names makes a mess of this but he did make it right in the end. But, if there ever was a real problem I don't think they would. They said it was my fault and leave it at that. A $450.00 pure beaver custom made hat should be perfect, period.
Old Law Dawg
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

kimwcook wrote:A $450.00 pure beaver custom made hat should be perfect, period.
I hear ya!

Here are some pictures I went out and snapped rather hastily. Note the lopsided brim and crown as well as the wavy brim in the back. Another thing I noticed was that the crown band is not a uniform width all the way around. This was not supposed to be a rough-lookin' "authentic" old west hat.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What to expect from a custom hat (pics added)

Post by kimwcook »

That's just unsat and I'd return it in a heartbeat.
Old Law Dawg
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'd demand a refund. I can steer you to a good hatter if you want. There's a goodun right in my home town...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Not acceptable. Since you wear a size 8, you might wanna just go with a sombrero. A big one.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I sympathize with a size 8 head, you don't just walk in and buy one most generally speaking. The hat store just stares at you, "size 8?" I found a size 8 once, in a Stetson I believe, it was the "Hoss Cartwright" model, they called it the "big-un". 1987 money, they wanted 90 bucks, fit like a dream, why didn't I buy it?
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

brucew44guns wrote:...you don't just walk in and buy one most generally speaking.
Ain't that the truth! Finding hats and helmets has always been a huge challenge. I waited three or four months for the Resistol.

I appreciate the comments so far. I may just get my money back and go back to the saddle shop to order a Stetson or another Resistol in a similar color. It's sad because dad's hat turned out really good and the guy is highly recommended.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Wow, I have purchased a number of custom hats and never had anything like that happen. I would be furious. Custom hat dealers IMHO are very, you might say somewhat hard to deal with. At least the ones I have dealt with before. They are slow as molasses in winter time and somewhat temperamental. I have always had what I wanted in the end. They do want their customers to be happy. If it were me I would be on the phone and send it back to get it right.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Now with the pictures I can see why you are upset. The felt band is enough to reject that hat alone.

I cant imaging a good hat steamer sending that brim out... that HAD to have happened in shipping... If it was sent that way that hatter wouldnt get any more of my money.

Size 8? A head like that will wear out 2 necks in a lifetime. :D

Jeff
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Hillbilly wrote:Size 8? A head like that will wear out 2 necks in a lifetime. :D
You ain't kiddin'! Half the time I gotta prop it up.

It's good to know that I'm not losing my mind or overly anal retentive. To be honest, the brim was like that the first time. I thought surely either he would notice it and fix it or he would just build a new hat and it wouldn't be an issue. I'd like to think it happened in shipping but I'd bet the farm it was like that when it was packed up. He did mention something about an apprentice so possibly this one didn't come from the master's hands. I've got family coming in this afternoon for the weekend so I'm gonna let this simmer until Monday.

Thanks for the help and y'all have a great Independence Day! :mrgreen:
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

To be frank, I don't see any reason not to post names of those responsible for shoddy workmanship.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Nope. I'd send that puppy back in a heartbeat. Is that really a felt hat band? :shock: First time I have ever seen that done - and believe me, this is hat country! :lol:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My John B. Stetson looks a whole lot better than that and is a lot older. You sure do need to send it back and get your money back.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hillbilly wrote:Size 8? A head like that will wear out 2 necks in a lifetime. :D

Jeff
No kiddin! Where do you buy a pickup big enough to get your melon in the door? Or do ya just do like Dino on the Flintstones, and poke your head out the top?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Grizzly Adams wrote:Nope. I'd send that puppy back in a heartbeat. Is that really a felt hat band? :shock: First time I have ever seen that done - and believe me, this is hat country! :lol:
Hell, every hatcompany I know of makes those!

There's a good custom hatter in Jackson, Wyoming you might try. I forget the name, though
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

kimwcook wrote:That's just unsat and I'd return it in a heartbeat.
"Unsat."

Man, I haven't heard that in years. Definitely brings back some memories. :mrgreen:

Scott
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Rod WMG, the hatter made the hat right in the end. That's why I didn't out him. I'd be willing to PM the Hatter's name to anyone interested. Just PM me and I'll give it to you.
Old Law Dawg
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Travis Morgan wrote:No kiddin! Where do you buy a pickup big enough to get your melon in the door? Or do ya just do like Dino on the Flintstones, and poke your head out the top?
Travis Morgan, I do not know you and what I do know I do not like. So I would appreciate it if you kept the wise cracks about my head to yourself. I've surely heard them all already.

UPS picks up the hat tomorrow. I don't care to get into it on the phone, the letter included with the hat should suffice. I will 'out' the hatter once the problem is resolved. The manner in which I 'out' him will depend entirely upon the manner in which it is resolved. I might also add that Dad's hat looks great and exhibits none of the maladies present in mine.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

While we're on the subject, I'd like to take the opportunity to a question that's been on my mind for several years. I had the idea that cowboy hats enabled one to exhibit his or her individuality and yet I see 99.95% of people wearing the same crown shape on theirs, an example of which is in the photos. I hardly ever see anyone wearing a Montana Peak or a Montana Pinch or anything else, the names of which I don't know. It's like everyone who wears a baseball cap..........different color maybe, but they really all look the same. It's boring. I welcome your input, jd45
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

JD45 I couldn't agree with you more on the blazay style of most cowboy hats. I like the NV cowboy style of a short 4" flat top crown w/ 4" brim (have two one almond colored and one dark brown), but have also been seen in a Dark Brown "Gus creased" 6.5" crown with a 4" pencil rolled brim, and working on a Black 6.5 crown with a MT peak....not sure what I will do with the brim yet. I really like Knudsen custom hats
http://www.goldengatewesternwear.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I always felt silly wearing a "cowboy" hat, well after age 12 anyway. Part, if not the entire reason for that is that I'm NOT a cowboy. Now this isn't to deride anyone else but it didn't work for me. I felt like I was posing. I do have a Stetson but it is a Fedora. Yeah... I know. :wink: :lol:

Craig, we had a Korean who stood 5' 6" and had a head of indeterminate size usual referred to as "expletive darn big". We actually had to take to of the largest sized hats to make him one uniform hat that almost fit. I swear it had to have been a size 10. He was called Charlie Brown by some unkind folks outside our unit. Your size 8 is NOTHING but normal.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Hobie wrote:I always felt silly wearing a "cowboy" hat, well after age 12 anyway. Part, if not the entire reason for that is that I'm NOT a cowboy. Now this isn't to deride anyone else but it didn't work for me. I felt like I was posing. I do have a Stetson but it is a Fedora. Yeah... I know. :wink: :lol:
I suspect your kind of an Indiana Jones kinda guy there, Hobie. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

CraigC wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote:No kiddin! Where do you buy a pickup big enough to get your melon in the door? Or do ya just do like Dino on the Flintstones, and poke your head out the top?
Travis Morgan, I do not know you and what I do know I do not like. So I would appreciate it if you kept the wise cracks about my head to yourself. I've surely heard them all already.

UPS picks up the hat tomorrow. I don't care to get into it on the phone, the letter included with the hat should suffice. I will 'out' the hatter once the problem is resolved. The manner in which I 'out' him will depend entirely upon the manner in which it is resolved. I might also add that Dad's hat looks great and exhibits none of the maladies present in mine.
darn. I was just kidding, but apparently, your head IS pretty big, and I'm pretty sure I know where you keep it.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

jd45 wrote:While we're on the subject, I'd like to take the opportunity to a question that's been on my mind for several years. I had the idea that cowboy hats enabled one to exhibit his or her individuality and yet I see 99.95% of people wearing the same crown shape on theirs, an example of which is in the photos. I hardly ever see anyone wearing a Montana Peak or a Montana Pinch or anything else, the names of which I don't know. It's like everyone who wears a baseball cap..........different color maybe, but they really all look the same. It's boring. I welcome your input, jd45
The tall crown styles don't fit in a vehicle very well. As for individuality, that's hogwash. Kinda like getting the same barbwire or tribal tatoo as every other douchebag at the sportsbar. I wear my hat because it covers my head. I grew up wearing one.

On the other hand, there are the people I see at rodeos....... half of them are wearing them backwards, and are really more of an insult than a compliment, due to their sorry attempt at an imitation.

Kinda like the people I'd meet when I was riding colts for a dude string in Jackson Hole. One actually took his hat out of the wrapping it came in, strode over to where the horses were, and loudly announced that he'd "do any herding that needed done". Apparently, he'd forgotten that he was going on a half hour trail ride. All nose to tail, no herding, no skill involved. And he was wearing Reeboks when he said it. His wife tipped me pretty big for calling him on being such a douchebag.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

that reminds me... I have a gus that needs cleaning and a little touch up.

Not a bad hat for a guy who doesnt shoot CAS. We were in the OKC stockyards a few weeks ago. My wife started with the hat shaper about the hat I had on. It started as a out of the box cattlemans crease... after a couple of years, red dirt roads, rain and sweat it's taken a life of it's own. Long story short he told her if the hat made me happy she would not do well to slip it down there for a cleaning. LOL.

Fashion hint... stay away from the Tobey Keith hat...unless your Tobey . Nothin says poser like a wadded up taco shell on your head.

J
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Hillbilly wrote:Nothin says poser like a wadded up taco shell on your head.
:mrgreen:

I like a little flatter brim than that. I thought they were supposed to keep the sun out of your eyes.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Talking about a "Shady Brady".
Old Law Dawg
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Hillbilly wrote:Long story short he told her if the hat made me happy she would not do well to slip it down there for a cleaning. LOL.
You oughta post his name, LOL! That's a pretty good recommendation, in my book.
Hillbilly wrote:Fashion hint... stay away from the Tobey Keith hat...unless your Tobey . Nothin says poser like a wadded up taco shell on your head.

J
Amen! Wearing a hanky under it qualifies you to hang out with the late 40's losers that cruise their mid-life crisis choppers around the college bars every weekend, in hopes of finding some drunk chick their daughter's age.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Genuine 'cowboy hats' tend to be a bit regional. You see that cattlemans crease just about everyplace.

Gus- style crowns up in the Wyoming and Montana areas... flat brims in Nevada and Northern California.

I am starting to see a lot of guys from NewMexico and the OK panhandle wearing hats with that old 'taco' look that reminds me of hats in the 50's and early 60's.

Advice about shaping hats I picked up in the western wear business years ago.

Try to buy a hat that has a crown about the same height as your face, aspect wise.
Never wear a brim thats wider than your shoulders.
Brim roll that mimics the shape of the jaw usually looks best... round faces with a gentle roll...square jaws with a bit more shape...

Oh yea....... never buy a belt buckle thats bigger than your face. If you won it ---thats a whole other matter.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Travis.............you mentioned your stark utilitarianism,.......merely as a head cover,...... in wearing a cowboy hat. Did you not give the least bit of weight in your choice of the style of a hat to your appearance in the hat you chose, that is, how it might help you present your image to other people, which, as we all know, is more important to us than it really should be. Don't get me wrong.........I'm not insinuating that you're vain or narcississtic, but usually people, when deciding on a piece of apparel, they like to see how they look in it before they pick it or not. Just curious, jd45
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

JD,

When I was a kid, I found a style I liked, and have more or less stayed with it. I shape my own, so I could have whatever shape I want. I have made a few buckaroo types, a few Elko ashtrays, etc, but I pretty much stay with the cattleman's crease. The closest I've found to the shape I use is Catalina Hatters' "Cutter", I believe.

One of the shapes I really don't "get" is the way the south texas guys wear them. 5" brim, (standard is 4") and folded up so much on the sides that I don't see how they offer any protection. Makes no sense to me in country where you can ride for two days without seeing a shade tree.

When I was working on ranches out in Nevada, I just never could bring myself to get myself one of those big amish style hats those guys wear. The buckaroos are worse than CAS folks on costume requirements, but are the finest hands with a rope or a bridle horse I've ever seen. I guess everyone has their excentrisities, and some of the most skilled people I know, regardless of what their skill was, had a hard and fast view of how things ought to be, regardless of reason. I did know one fella out there, though that was a top hand; he wore a Hawaiian shirt to the McDermott ranch rodeo! I guess there are peacocks everywhere; we just don't all have the same feathers.

I was thinking about this thread the other day, while watching The Magnificent Seven. I really liked the hat Steve McQueen wore in that movie, with the front and back "mule kicks". I've also been considering getting myself an open(unshaped) crown hat for work, and pretty much leaving it that way, with just a little bit of shape to the brim. No need in having all those dips to collect water in a rainstorm, should I ever get healed up enough to go back to working for ranches and outfitters, again. I've never had a horse that was particularly worried about my wardrobe, anyhow. I also kinda like the shape of hat John Wayne wore in his publicity photos. Can't find the pic right now, but I might remember where it is, here in the next few days. Hopefully, I'll be near a computer when I do. Odds are, I'll be out in the pasture, contemplating the limp back home to take more pain pills.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Thanx for the clarification Travis, jd45
raven5
Levergunner

Post by raven5 »

I've always liked hats and have had a few Stetson's (couldn't afford anything other than regular shelf models at the time and fitted to my head). I'd like to get a hat but can't afford to spend several hundred on one. I wouldn't/couldn't wear it everyday so it is really a little extra for myself; kinda like a real good cigar I'll buy every now and then.

I would like to get another fedora (I'm with you on this Hobie!! :D ) but I'd also like to get a hat for hunting and general outdoors use. I can name a few styles only by chance, but brim styles, and regional styles, etc. ....well, I haven't a clue as to what they're called. What I do know is what style I like when I see it. Hopefully the style looks at least decent on me when I go to buy one.

The style I like is, I guess, more of an Aussie style than western style, but heck, I don't know; only assuming. The style that Clint Eastwood wore in 'Unforgiven' I really like. A brim wide enough to be effective (or I'd just wear a ball cap) and seemingly easy to maintain without countless trips to the shop.

What style would this be? Does it have a name so I can at least know what I'm looking for?

http://moma.org/collection/browse_resul ... rt_order=1
The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.
- Samuel Adams, during Massachusetts' U.S. Constitution ratification convention, (1788)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Here in Florida we don't have cowboys. I don't want to get that feud started but we call 'em cowhunters. Most of the workin cowhunters I've known where hats that are in pretty bad shape for their everyday workin hats. Saturday night is another story. I work in the sun some but not with cows anymore. I wear a straw type hat Resistol being my most recent brand. If I'm out fishing that's another mater. then it's pure straw and off topic.

As for the maker I'd think he'd want the hat made right before his name was put out on the net and I'm not sure I'd even lay that threat out until it was a last resort. He might get kind of testy and he does have your money.

What was dad's hatband like? Maybe his helper had more to do with this job that even the maker knows?

As far as the crown hitting the top of your head, I'd think that would be a question the hatmaker should have answered early on. After all HE'S the professional. You shouldn't have to think of all the questions to ask... that's his job.

Hope he works it out for you.

Happy Trails and God Bless,
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Rusty wrote:As for the maker I'd think he'd want the hat made right before his name was put out on the net and I'm not sure I'd even lay that threat out until it was a last resort. He might get kind of testy and he does have your money.
I agree. For now, I still give him the benefit of the doubt but not much of one. I'll wait and see how he responds to the package he should receive in a couple days. I'm not stark raving mad, just disappointed and I will portray this turn of events as accurately as possible. Regardless of the outcome, I will never use him again. I agree about the crown creases. He of course asks how high you want the crown and this hat is identical in crown height to my other. It's the depth of the creases that made the difference. He should've known better.

Rusty wrote:What was dad's hatband like? Maybe his helper had more to do with this job that even the maker knows?
Dad's crown band is ribbon so it was kinda tough to screw up. I swear, it's like the two hats came from two different shops. My theory is that the hatter made Dad's and the apprentice made mine.

Rusty wrote:Here in Florida we don't have cowboys.
Don't I know it. I lived there 32yrs. There are lots of Saturday night cowboys though. Up here it's not really much different. I'm surrounded by horses but not many riders. They typically only ride a couple days a year and then wonder why their mounts are out of breath. Herding duties are usually handled with ATV's. Once I'm able to educate myself enough to sift through the scrawny yard pets and actually find a good one, I plan to be the exception.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Rusty wrote: As far as the crown hitting the top of your head, I'd think that would be a question the hatmaker should have answered early on. After all HE'S the professional. You shouldn't have to think of all the questions to ask... that's his job.

Hope he works it out for you.

Happy Trails and God Bless,
Fit issues wouldn't be the maker's fault, if this was done via mailorder.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

CraigC wrote: I'm surrounded by horses but not many riders. They typically only ride a couple days a year and then wonder why their mounts are out of breath. Herding duties are usually handled with ATV's. Once I'm able to educate myself enough to sift through the scrawny yard pets and actually find a good one, I plan to be the exception.

Try being a trainer or horseshoer. I got sick of the idiots that bought videos and magazines, then decided they were experts on how I should train their horses. Oddly enough, they couldn't do it themselves, or even load the darn horse in the trailer alone.

At least with horseshoeing I wasn't tied to them for a month. If they weren't worth listening to at $65/hour, I'd pick up my tools and leave. One idiot, I almost didn't even go to his place, after he started blowing me smoke about being "John Lyons Certified", but I went anyways. This idiot was feeding his horse more sweet feed when he wasn't using him than I'd give a horse I was using the hell out of. Well, he keeps farting around, tickling his horse, and being a pain, jabbering about how smart he was the whole time I'm under him. He horse keeps trying to nip me, and he just thought it was cute. Finally, I just lightly swatted the horse away, and this numbnuts lips off to me about hitting his horse. I just picked up my stuff and left. It was all I could do to keep from slapping the owner across my face with my rasp!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

The hatter received his hat back on Tuesday and called me to let me know he was mailing a check. Real quick and curt, hardly even apologetic. No effort to make it right. I received the check this morning, which did not reimburse my return shipping. Call it a $20 lesson. The hatter is Roy Jackson of Jaxonbilt Hat Co., Salmon, Idaho. I gave him plenty of chances to earn a repeat customer and he blew it. I definitely would've used him again had it worked out the way it should have. I couldn't in good conscience recommend him to anyone.

Now the big question. Do I go order me a Stetson, or do I go back and pick up that stainless Puma 92 .45Colt I was coonfingering earlier this week??? I do need a weather resistant "saddle gun" for my Polaris. :mrgreen:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What to expect from a custom hat - Update 7-18

Post by kimwcook »

You also need something to cover your head and keep it warm, Gun, hat, Gun, hat, that's a dilemma.
Old Law Dawg
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What to expect from a custom hat - Update 7-18

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I know this is an old thread but there's some good information in it. I found it by accident and was glad I did as 2 of the hat makers I'd looked at are mentioned in the thread. :shock: