Brass Catch for lever guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cpy911
Levergunner

Brass Catch for lever guns

Post by cpy911 »

Does anyone know if there is a brass catch type system for the lever gun. I have a 94AE, 94, and a Rossi 92 that I would like to attach a brass catcher to. Here is what I have found so far, but its for those evil black guns... :lol:

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant ... e=ARA+MISC

Please advise....

cpy911
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Brass Catch for lever guns

Post by awp101 »

No answer on the brass catcher but I'd avoid FGW like the plague.

Welcome!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One I made and liked for a Mini-14 might be applicable...

I bought a spare handguard, fastened two metal "wire straps" to it - the kind that have a hole for a nail or screw, and are a thin piece of metal that would wrap around say, a phone cord, and fasten it to a surface. I used a piece of metal dowel which just fit them to form a bar which protruded out to the right and rear of the gun, and hung from that bar a 8"x8" piece of suede leather. All the brass ejected would hit that and fall directly at my feet, rather than get thrown all over. There was no "swinging bag" to spoil my aim, no heavy container, and nothing to 'fill up' or empty. It swung out of the way easily, or could be eliminated by swapping handguards.

On a levergun, you'd probably want some kind of velcro wrap to keep the wire in place, so you didn't have to modify the wood or metal of the gun. You'd need the metal dowelrod to have a more complex bend to stay in place over or under the gun.

Still, would be easy to make and cheap, and if made right should transfer from one levergun to another easily.

Now - on my Puma's the durn thing would have to be attached to the brim of my HAT :shock: , because that brass flies nearly straight up...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CindyLea
Levergunner

Post by CindyLea »

Just an idea I heard of once, I don't remember where.

A gentleman rigged him up a square with feet, out of PVC pipe so it could be broken down and stored. Then he attached a tarp to the top and sides of the square and let it trail on the ground some. Sort of like a curtain. This he set up just to the side of the shooter. The brass would hit the tarp, slide down and collect in the part that trailed on the ground.

This sounds like a neat set up if your range allows it. Better yet, minimal dirt in the cases.

CindyLea
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

There are screens at the range to put up if your brass is hitting people. Of course the people shooting AR's never think to use them.

I was thinking about rigging up some sort of gizmo that would mount in the scope mount holes, and hang a bag over the receiver to catch the shells. Kind of silly but it might be convenient. Or maybe no bag, just a piece of metal to direct them straight down. This would leave them right at your feet and not hit other people. And look a little slicker.

Flash! Inspiration! How about something with a tube that would direct them right into your pocket?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

For my '94, I use a big blue hay tarp for a brass catcher. Just stand next to the tarp and shoot.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

I use the free left hand brass catcher. When the right hand brings the lever down the left hand slides back over the reciever and catches the brass. Then the right hand brings the lever back up and the left hand deposits the shell in my left back pocket. Works for me.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I call mine "Mother Earth" as most brass doesn't go far. :wink: Maybe I'm too simple minded to just pick it up.

I have tried those things on the EBRs and they are pretty much guaranteed to cause a cussing streak.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Aint that what kids are for?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
cpy911
Levergunner

Post by cpy911 »

Timothy wrote:I use the free left hand brass catcher. When the right hand brings the lever down the left hand slides back over the reciever and catches the brass. Then the right hand brings the lever back up and the left hand deposits the shell in my left back pocket. Works for me.
Sure you can use the left hand catch, but its not as fun as doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNqPB3LVmcI&NR=1

Only if I were so good! :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Timothy wrote:I use the free left hand brass catcher. When the right hand brings the lever down the left hand slides back over the reciever and catches the brass. Then the right hand brings the lever back up .

Thats what I do when up in a treestand :!:

When I'm at the range I mostly shoot from the bench and single load , so brass slinging is not an issue :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

I heard about a gal at a range a few years back who caught a case from an autoloader in her cleavage. Seems she was a good "dancer!"

I assume those of you who catch the ejected brass let it cool a little first.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rod WMG wrote: I assume those of you who catch the ejected brass let it cool a little first.
When I do it it's hunting season so I normally have cotton camo gloves on ! So temp is not an issue , and most of the time it's pretty cool outside also !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's why I wear a 5-½" hat brim... with pencil roll. More than style points, ta know! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Unless I'm absolutely needing to make a quick followul, my "brass catcher" is my right hand.

I generally miss only once in a while.

By the time I catch it, it's generally cool enough to handle.

Gets interesting looks from the peanut gallery too. Brass flies up, right hand comes out and catches it, placing the empty in the cartridge box. Reach up and close lever. 8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

My main gripe with autoloaders is that they throw the brass too darned far. With my levers, I just take a step top my right, or squat down and pick up the ones my hat didn't catch, depending on which rifle I'm shooting.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1