Silicone Cloths

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Silicone Cloths

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

You guys probably already know about this but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I typically use either the Tipton or Kleebore yellow flannel silicone cloths to wipe down my guns before they go into the safe or a gun rug for travel, etc. I like the theory and the sheen and I feel like I'm getting that added protection here in Florida with all of our excessive humidity. However, the darn things always seem to be so lightly charged and they seem to lose their effectiveness after a short period. I used to keep on buying them at $5 - $7 a pop to have fresh ones in the package.

Not long ago, I noticed something up on Midway and decided to try it out. It's the actual silicone treatment for the cloths. It's made to recharge the Sack-Ups products but it also works very well on the yellow flannel cloths. It comes in a 4oz bottle with a little pump sprayer for $3.89 (Midway part #321362). I believe it will easily recharge 50 or more of the yellow cloths. I load it up on them so I get a really good coat and I keep the cloths in a zip-loc to keep from drying out like a lot of people who don't want to keep buying them.

Just my two cents. I'm not sure if we have a lot of silicone cloth users here ... they were a big hit back in the 80's.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Silicone Cloths

Post by TedH »

Actually, I just bought my first one last week. I couldn't really detect anything on the cloth with my hands, but you could see the sheen on the metal that was wiped with it. Thanks for the reloading tip. :)
NRA Life Member
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:You guys probably already know about this but I'll throw it out there anyway.
I sure didn't, thanks!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

To extend their original life, I used to roll them up tight in a ziplock bag. Rolling the bag up gets all the air out and they seem to last longer.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I just buy the regular "silicone" spray they sell at the hardware store in the big cans (for lubing automobile door gaskets, etc.), and spray the heck out of a flannel cloth and keep it in a zip-lock bag.

I still think some of the silicone vehicle evaporates, so I think I'll try a Mason jar with a plastic screw-top lid.

Anyway, it is cheap, and I do think it does the same thing as the other "silicone" products.

I still like the "socks" to prevent safe-dings, but they don't fit well over scopes (yes, I scope many of my guns).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

AJMD429 wrote:I just buy the regular "silicone" spray they sell at the hardware store in the big cans...
+1
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

My wipin' rag is an old T-shirt sprayed with the cheap silicone spray from WalMart, and kept in a ziplock. Works as well as anything, lasts virtually forever, cheap.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

I didn't know this, thanks for the tip.
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I keep mine in one of those plastic tubs made to put sandwiches in...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Huh. I've never used Silicone. I've always used RIG and a "RIG Rag".
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I didn't realize the silicone in the auto stores was the same grade and could be used the same way. Great idea.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Your mileage may vary...

But I've had the best results re-treating those cloths with Birchwood-Casey "Sheath" spray, now called "Barricade" I believe. It's a great rust-preventive and once the blue is wiped down with it, even finger prints don't show up.

Like another poster mentioned, I store the treated cloths in a ziplock bag, which helps keep them... "fresh" -- just kidding :D -- "treated", I guess.

A can of the B/C spray would re-treat 100's of cloths I believe, as it takes very little.

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The new ownership of Silencio - makers of RIG (rust inhibiting grease) - have, as of 2008 DISCONTINUED THE PRODUCT.

I just ordered 5 of the remaining 3.75oz tubs of RIG (btw it used to be available in 15oz tubs since oh, 1935...) from the warehouse(at less than $5 ea).

Ok, Ok, I admit, the stuff is so good and is used so sparingly that there is ZERO profit in it (since one 3.75 oz tub will last the average gun owner 25 years...), but still...

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

>Like another poster mentioned, I store the treated cloths in a ziplock bag, which helps keep them... "fresh" -- just kidding -- "treated", I guess.

Another consideration for keeping "oily rags" in a sealed container like a ziplock bag or old coffe can -- spontaneous combustion. Deprived of an air source, you'll never have to come home from vacation and find your house in ashes because your cleaning rags cooked off.