OT - Movie Review - WALL-E

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Movie Review - WALL-E

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Took the wife and kids out to see "WALL-E" this afternoon. I've been promising them a trip to the movies since school let out - so many potentially good movies coming out this summer. My son and I saw "Iron Man" shortly after it came out during a birthday party for one of his friends. We really enjoyed it. Can't say the same for "WALL-E"...

Don't get me wrong - there were some cute parts, and the animation was fantastic. The kids enjoyed it. My wife and I almost fell asleep. I was also irritated at the anti-business, anti-people (we're all sloppy polluters who will destroy the earth) theme. Perhaps the most irritating thing was that it cost us - for a matinee - $30 without anything to eat or drink! :evil:

From now on, it's second-run "dollar theaters" or wait for the darn things to come out on DVD...
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Movie Review - WALL-E

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Man Kid that's a bummer, I've been wanting to see that too. My wife and I have a trip to the movies planned for Wednesday, guess it'll be "Wanted" with Angelina Jolie. :D
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
kirkwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kirkwood »

The liberal reviewers seem to be taking it more on a superficial level of doom and gloom. It is getting very good reviews from conservatives though. Some people might not get that if they just take it as a cartoon and don't hear the message. Can't say much about the price of tickets, but at least you know that walking in and no one is forcing you to see it.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Thanks , I'll skip that one and take the kids to Kung fo panda instead. I love the big screen , but it gets expensive. I already told them they can't see both shows at the theatre.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

what is this world coming to when even cartoons have to have a leftist message?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

It was a GREAT movie, the wife and I loved it.

I think it's message was less anti-business, and more a cautionary tale about the dangers of overindulgence. And if you think we're not an overindulgent people, go hang out at the mall sometime!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I hear ya on the 30 bucks and a so-so movie. The AMC movie theatre near us has $4 AM movies on the weekend. The price is only for AM movies ussually between 10:30 and 11:55. Since finding out about the discounted tickets, I have seen some really bad movies(and a few good ones) that I wouldnt have seen otherwise.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I kinda agree with TooTech. I thought the was ok. Fact of the matter our populace is getting dependant on cell phones, laptops, blackberries, PDA's, microwave dinners, TV, etc... and therefore getting lazy. Most kids today have more electronic gadgets than we as adults do.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I didn't say not to see it - in fact, I think I said "parts were cute and the animation was fantastic". Rather, I just wouldn't run out to see if ahead of several other choices - and if you think you will end up buying it for any wee folk you may have eating you out of house and home, save the movie theater money and just buy the DVD when it comes out.

I agree - many young people don't get enough exercise (and some of us older people as well!), and many in the population are soft. Still, I see lots of heroes in the news every day - they are called Marines, Army soliders, Navy sailors, Coast Guardsmen (and women) and Air men (and women). They are also called LEO's, fire-fighters, and medics. Lots of very active people serving their fellow countrymen and women. It would be nice to acknowledge them.

I am also just tired of the "blame corporate America" drumbeat that even invades kids' movies. Along with the "green" environmental-weenie garage that is a relentless assault on young, impressionable minds (and a constant nuisance to us older thinking minds!).

Lastly, and probably most, it was just a commentary on the rip-off that is movie ticket prices these days. I don't see how many families can afford to go.

There - feel better?
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

TooTech wrote:It was a GREAT movie, the wife and I loved it.

I think it's message was less anti-business, and more a cautionary tale about the dangers of overindulgence. And if you think we're not an overindulgent people, go hang out at the mall sometime!
Spot on. We went and saw it yesterday and loved it.
I dont feel the measage was leftist at all but more of a hey watch what you do sort of thing. Pollution and waste are a valid concern who likes to go out and see trash on the roadside and oil and crud floating in our waterways. This movie just takes it to the extreem to show how bad it could get.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I see just as many (or more) fat do-nothing Republican'ts as Democraps at Buy 'n Large... er... Wall-E-Mart. :roll:

The comming economic collapse may be the best thing that ever happened to us. The fat and useless will starve and the lean and productive will survive.

Let's hope it applies to Politicians first.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I refuse to support hollywierd....
I have not been to a movie...let see
since 91 or 92...I would rather buy a classic movie
from the 40s 50s and 60s....and almost all are
WESTERNS
Latest additions to my collection are
The Way West and the Westerner with Gary Cooper
Darn good westerns
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

yeah, 30 bucks is to much!! I'll just look it up on the internet and watch it for free. I can put up with poor quality for that much money!!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Didn't see Wall-E...
But KUNG FU PANDA was hilarious! :lol: 2 thumbs up!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

GANJIRO wrote:Didn't see Wall-E...
But KUNG FU PANDA was hilarious! :lol: 2 thumbs up!
I bet wrong then. My daughter wanted to see that before WALL-E. I thought the latter might be better... :)
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I'm too cheap to go to the theaters. I too wait until it is on DVD and even then there isn't a lot that turns me on.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I dunno... this summer seems to be the first in years just chuck full of potentially good movies. No westerns, unfortunately - but plenty of action flicks. Here's what I want to see so far:

Iron Man (did see it - and loved it)
Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian
Indiana Jones
Incredible Hulk
Batman
Hancock
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Next "Mummy" installment

And, "Kung Fu Panda", thanks to Ji! :wink:
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Here's Plugged In Online's take on the movie in question...

http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/m ... 004114.cfm

I like their reviews, even though I'm amused at what constitutes "sexual content" or "drug and alcohol use" content sometimes... still, they give you a good idea of whether it's something worth spending your time and $$$ on or not...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com