An Against the grain opinion.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger158
Levergunner 1.0

An Against the grain opinion.

Post by Bridger158 »

It seems the opinion among many here is that they think the site is no longer as good as it once was because of all the politics being discussed. Well, as ridiculous as some of yall may think this is, I have started coming to this site MORE often because of the politics being discussed. Used to, I'd hit the forum once every day or so. Now, it is multiple times a day. I like hearing every body's thoughts on the political scene just as much or more than I like reading your musings on leverguns. It is thought provoking to me to hear different opinions than on CNN or whatever. If the politiking were to go away, it wouldn't run me off, but I sure wouldn't like or visit the site as much. Ramble over.
Ysabel Kid

Re: An Against the grain opinion.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

+1

I enjoy all the levergun threads - and the threads on other guns as well. It is the variety here - gun-related, politics, humor, prayer requests, personal - that makes this such an interesting site. Of course it helps that we are home to such fine people - and that they, for some unknown reason, tolerate me!!! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

+2 :D
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

It hasn't slowed me down yet. If I had a clam for every time I opened up the forum page I would be sitting on a house boat somewhere off the shore of Alaska right now cleaning my FA .454 for tommorow's hunt.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

You know, we're always welcoming new comers "to the fire". I remember sitting around the fire with my dad and my uncles (all gone now) after a hard day spent in the field. They would discuss our luck (or lack there of), guns, politics, the wx, interesting stories, jokes, anything and everything. Disagreements, sure. But everyone had a say and everyone was civil. I would sit there, bone tired but drinking in every word. I think I enjoyed the campfire just as much as the hunt. When I first found Leverguns, I remarked how this place sure reminded me of sitting with the old man and his brothers. I sure hate to think of this place becoming cold & clinical; there's plenty of other gun related sites for that. Just my
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Speaking as a Foreigner from tuther side of the Pond, I have learnt a lot about US politics and the American way of life that I would never have found out about other than being a member of this great forum. I can happily say I have also increased my knowledge of Leverguns too!

It is indeed like sitting around a camp fire with good buddies, spoutin' opinions and tellin' tall stories, with quite a lot of interestin' facts thrown in too. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Like I said to Hobie not long ago in a PM. One of the greatest things about this forum is the number of people who show up here that have a higher level of common sense than is generally available at any other place I know. To those of you, I say thank you for your contributions.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i think paco and the moderators have something good going here. don't let us screw it up!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

All the above responses are bang on!!

As gun owners we had better be very much aware of politics :!: :!: :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

First off there is a lot of good, factual information here pertaining to my hobby; guns and shooting.

Also, I come here because the opinions stated here are mostly from GUN people. Although I don't agree with everyone, most opinions I read are reasonable and not "tree-hugger", liberal, commie, pinko, f@g propaganda.

OOPS! Did I say that? :oops:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I don't worry about the politics. I read what I want to read. If I see a discussion thread that I don't want to read, I just skip it.

The advantage of discussing politics here is that it's a lot more likely for the people here to agree with me, than elsewhere.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Well, if this title had "Politics" in it, I probably would not have clicked on it, but here I am. It is not so much the subject matter that generally turns me off to political topics, as the name-calling and attacks on character I have seen in the past. Perhaps we have all learned to be more polite now.

I generally do not post in political topics, because I tend to get shouted down from both sides, as being a centrist, and labeled the dead armadillo in the middle of the road. Well, no, I am not really a centrist, I just disagree strongly with certain positions held dear by both the left and the right. I also believe that both the left and right try to inject things into national politics that should be kept at the state or local level.

I am far too "green" to fit in among the right, and the left rejects me because I believe too much in liberty and personal responsibility that goes along with it. The major parties both adhere to certain values I find very much in conflict with values I learned during my Christian upbringing. OK, I will go now.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rexster wrote: I am far too "green" to fit in among the right, and the left rejects me because I believe too much in liberty and personal responsibility that goes along with it. The major parties both adhere to certain values I find very much in conflict with values I learned during my Christian upbringing. OK, I will go now.
Rexster, I admire a man with a mind of his own! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

The diversity here keeps things interesting.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

I am far too "green" to fit in among the right, and the left rejects me because I believe too much in liberty and personal responsibility that goes along with it. The major parties both adhere to certain values I find very much in conflict with values I learned during my Christian upbringing. OK, I will go now.[/quote]

+4

Rexster: too green? Please elaborate....... You would be surprised by the conservatives who are "green"; not by trying to tell everyone else how they should live their lives (Madonna, Gore, etc) but by actually having a smaller "carbon footprint" and leaving a place better than they found it...
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

The forum has become a place I come to in order to hear of things from my friends. A good friend has more to offer me than just talk of a particular gun. Some friends on here talked about raising tomatos not long ago, JI told his friends all about a boat he fixed up that was his dads, some other friends have asked for prayers for loved ones, some friends have told about their wives getting interested in shooting. There was even a thread not long ago, from a friend, on the best ways to cook some pinto beans. I've got about 40 levers, very interesting guns, but I'm interested also in my friends lives.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

brucew44guns wrote:The forum has become a place I come to in order to hear of things from my friends. A good friend has more to offer me than just talk of a particular gun. Some friends on here talked about raising tomatos not long ago, JI told his friends all about a boat he fixed up that was his dads, some other friends have asked for prayers for loved ones, some friends have told about their wives getting interested in shooting. There was even a thread not long ago, from a friend, on the best ways to cook some pinto beans. I've got about 40 levers, very interesting guns, but I'm interested also in my friends lives.

+1 - well, except for the "40 levers"...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

This site is very democratic in that only the posts that get replies survive.

That is the correct and preferred method of determining what is to be posted IMHO.

Nothing wrong with OT prefix though.

I like this site because I've learned a bunch about leverguns and been able to share my knowledge and also that it moves along briskly.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rexter wrote:I am far too "green" to fit in among the right, and the left rejects me because I believe too much in liberty and personal responsibility that goes along with it. The major parties both adhere to certain values I find very much in conflict with values I learned during my Christian upbringing. OK, I will go now.
JohnnyReb wrote: +4
Rexster: too green? Please elaborate....... You would be surprised by the conservatives who are "green"; not by trying to tell everyone else how they should live their lives (Madonna, Gore, etc) but by actually having a smaller "carbon footprint" and leaving a place better than they found it...
There is a difference between being a Conservationist (a very Conservative position IMO) and beeing a "Green". Most "Green" is just restructured "Red".

OTOH Sportsmen who live work and play in the Outdoors know how important genuine Conservation is. That includes Timber Management, but not (necessairly) clearcutting. That includes sensible mining practices. That includes dealing with invasive species. That could mean, as it does at my place, that we recycle and are energy use concious... and that the only Meat we eat is meat I've hunted or purchaced directly from small sustainable farms. Let the Urban Masses eat Factory Food... I like fresh meat and fresh veggies.

We Conservative Conservationists are all about understanding that Humans are part of the BALLANCE that is nature. The Lib Greens reject Humans as part of nature.

But then, that's why Hunters & Fishermen put more money per year into conservation than all of the Sierra Club type organizations combined.

Nothing wrong with being a Conservationist... just don't sell yourself short by calling yourself "Green". :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I agree, the worst thing we can have on ANY forum is everyone thinking alike. There are those in the Govmt, that would like just that, and not referring to any particular administration or party.

We NEED topics of DISCUSSION on politics, to see what others think. What is bad is when some condem others for their free opinion. Junior used to post a dissenting opinion, and often got flamed for it, guess enough was enough. We all have our own agendas and ideas on what "perfect" would be, and sometime we need to just agree to disagree, and stay friends.

I know some people in their late 60's or seventies, that would give up their second amendment rights for free health care. Sounds absurd to some, but when they are facing financial ruin, to stay alive, their priorities change.

Lets keep the healthy discussions flowing.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

OI, I largely agree with your definition of conservation. I grew up near a creek, and learned firsthand, at a very early age, what happens when a local industrial site decides to use my playground, which belongs to everyone, as its private sewer. No, I did not wish the industry would go away, I just wished it would be responsible for its filth. I also grew up admiring Theodore Roosevelt, and we all should know he was a conservationist, while still being an avid hunter. He was a Republican, too.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i come to this forum for the political related issues involving guns and for the firearms themselves.

there are many wonderful sources of infomation, opinions and too much knowledge here to be ignored.

there are occasional "butting of heads" but, never anything that gets out of hand and all are respectful.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers