Are You Prepared Component Wise for a 'Slow Joe Bin Biden' Win?

Post all political posts here.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
The rules are simple...
- no advocation of violence to anyone
- no cursing

Violation of the rules will result in deletion of the topic.

Do You Feel You Have Enough Reloading Components To Weather a Long Drought?

Yes, I Have All the Components I'll Need on Hand
35%
I Have Most of the Components I Need
48%
I Have Some of the Components I Need
6%
I Have Few of the Components I Need
No votes
I'm in Deep Ca Ca!!
10%

Total votes: 31
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Are You Prepared Component Wise for a 'Slow Joe Bin Biden' Win?

Post by COSteve »

Do you have enough stock to weather a really slow recovery of components? Did you inventory your stock and find what you were short on? Did you take steps to normalize your stock before the panic set in? My last piece of short inventory, some bullets I decided I want some more of (but don't really need more of), are in route as we speak. Are you ready?
Steve

Noli nothis permittere te terere
“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Are You Prepared Component Wise for a 'Slow Joe Bin Biden' Win?

Post by piller »

Seems to me that we will need a lot no matter who wins. If President Trump wins, I expect that there will be a bunch of new guns that have jammed or run out of ammunition and just been left where they were dropped.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm a little low on primers (down to 1200 of some types) but that will last me a while. Have everything else here or arriving this week. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)
Tolucajo
Levergunner

Post by Tolucajo »

How long is long? I shoot in matches, so I reload more than the average loader. I contacted a second tier primer manufacturer(Wolf, and another). The person said, they are not likely to sell primers to the public, but rather focus using materials for live rounds sales. If the drought goes beyond 6 months, then I will have to take up another hobby.
wvfarrier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wvfarrier »

I broke down and paid Gunbroker prices for a couple thousand small rifle primers. I only had 1000 on hand and paid triple for the new ones
"What man, is a man, who does not make the world better"
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Geez, I had a serious boating accident.........

No guns...

No components..........

I don't have anything in my possession any longer................

But my LAB is still well supplied -- so I will use HIS stuff. :wink:

Turns out, he is unable and not required to comply with any future frivolous government requirements.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I just had 16 lbs of powder (Reloader 26 and Lil'Gun) arrive by the Blue and White Truck of Happiness with another 5 lbs arriving Thursday of Alliant Power Pro MP . I'm excieted to play with the RL 26 and Power Pro MP. Should allow me to further hot rod 454 Casull and 375 H&H AI Long. Enough powder for the rest of my life on top of what I have. Have enough cases and a fair amount of bullets for how often I get to shoot. Probably enough primers for 2-3 years. Hadn't thought about Gunbroker for primers. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I'm set for 15 years of shooting at my current rate in terms of smokeless powder, primers, percussion caps, flints and brass. Plenty of lino, pure lead, and wheelwieghts for the rest of my life but I would like to have more tin.

I dont feel comfortable having more than 30 pounds of black powder on hand at any one time so that would be my real bottleneck as I like my muzzleloader and bpcr shooting. The shotguns and 45-2.6" go through a lot of powder but I can really stretch it out with the .32.

Eric
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I think your being wise about the BP. Its an explosive and supersonic in expansion. Instant by by. Very different animal from modern smokeless powder (a conflagrant in larger fires), which will still burn your house down, just slower LOL -Tutt
DadsMod12
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DadsMod12 »

I vote for option #6.

Can you ever have enough?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

CowboyTutt wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:50 pm
I'm a little low on primers (down to 1200 of some types) but that will last me a while. Have everything else here or arriving this week. -Tutt
Ditto. Have a bit more than Andy, but wish I had even more than that. A bit more powder too. You can never have enough.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Shotgun primers I’m great , Rifle primers I’m great , pistol primers I’m good enough . Shot I’m great , shotgun wads I’m better than great . Brass and hulls I’m great except I could use 50 or so pieces of 6.5 PRC brass . Jacketed rifle bullets I’m pretty darned good . Cast bullets I’m in great shape without casting , if my supply goes down firing up the pot and making some nore is no big issue . For powders I have a VAST supply , only thing I could possibly want would be a couple pounds of RL-25 and an 8 pounder of either 296 or H-110 as backup to what I already have . The strange thing is I’ve been stocked up like this for over six years and to be honest other than buying 209 primers and four or five boxes of projectiles for the 6.5 PRC and 6.5 Sherman Short Mag I’ve not been looking for much . Like I mentioned earlier around 50 pieces of PRC brass and a couple pounds of RL-25 and I’m flush . If I don’t get any brass or RL-25 is my world gonna be in a shambles ? Not hardly , that’s what I could use for two rifles . But I’ve got plenty stuff to keep the rest of the herd running probably longer than I’ll be functioning 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !

"GO HARD or GO HOME" D.E. Sr.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Last count I had 28,000 rifle/pistol primers. 40 plus pounds of powder. A truck bed box of lead and thousands of jacketEd bullets for lots of calibers. Wish I had another couple hundred 300 Savage cases and could use 40-50 pounds of tin.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Old No7 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:52 pm
Geez, I had a serious boating accident.........
No guns...
No components..........
I don't have anything in my possession any longer................

But my LAB is still well supplied -- so I will use HIS stuff. :wink:
Turns out, he is unable and not required to comply with any future frivolous government requirements.
Old No7
I'm amazed that we both find ourselves in such similar situations. :roll:

I was taking all my stuff out for an 'airing' and got caught up in the fires nearby so I had to dump it to get out safely. :shock:

Sad to say, they didn't make it so they're all gone now. :cry:

However, like you my Morkie and Silkshire both remain in good kit so I believe I'll be just fine as well. :wink:
Steve

"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Bought a brick of Fed 205M small rifle primers last night. Got the best price I could, match primers are taking a premium price right now. Some are selling at $300 a brick! Crazy! Anyhow that gets me up to 2200 small rifle primers, that will last me a while. -Tutt
1894cfan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894cfan »

Actually, for me it's ALL OF THE ABOVE! :shock: :mrgreen: 'Cause no matter how much you have, it's still not enough!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

1894cfan wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:19 pm
Actually, for me it's ALL OF THE ABOVE! :shock: :mrgreen: 'Cause no matter how much you have, it's still not enough!
So you'd call yourself one of those who believe that "Too much is never enough!" then?
Steve

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Have more loaded ammo than i may get shot up, i shoot about 2000 rounds of center fire ammo a year
now that im retired i just may have to shoot more of it :D if i really shoot a lot in ten years i may have
to buy some components, i started stocking up for the last 12 years while i was working

ollogger
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well small miracles do happen !

I was on Midway an hour or so ago and they had nice new Hornady 6.5 PRC brass in stock with UNINFLATED prices . Initially I'd only wanted a 50 piece bag but since they had it at a decent price I bought two .

Now if I can scrounge up a pound or two of RL-25 I have any and everything that I could possibly need and or want (dare I use the WANT word) !

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

ollogger wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:57 pm
Have more loaded ammo than i may get shot up, i shoot about 2000 rounds of center fire ammo a year
now that im retired i just may have to shoot more of it :D if i really shoot a lot in ten years i may have
to buy some components, i started stocking up for the last 12 years while i was working
ollogger
I'm much the same. I recently started on my 14th year of retirement and besides the plentiful component stash, I also have a large stash of all the calibers I shoot. I too stocked up on components when I was still working and since then I have spent my time making boolits and enjoying myself. So I've mostly replenished my stock of ammo I use up by using the components I have on hand. Sometimes I decide on a new bullet or powder to try and so I pick some up to give them a try.

Today is such a case as my friend who double ordered some bullets and asked me to help him out by buying one order worth is coming by today to drop them off and get paid (so his wife doesn't kill him) so tonight I'll have 2K more of 125grn .357mag bullets and at a coupon price to boot! That's actually fine because I've recently moved to that weight over the 158grn I also have to make up my plinking loads for my Rossis. Originally I though that they might be too light but after trying them I switched.
Steve

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I weaseled my way into a fiver of RL-25 so I’m flush across the board . Sure it would be nice to have a few extra eighters of some of the shotgun powders I use regularly but who knows I might not live long enough to use all I already have :wink:

1894cfan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894cfan »

COSteve wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:31 pm
1894cfan wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:19 pm
So you'd call yourself one of those who believe that "Too much is never enough!" then?
I think what I meant is that no matter how much you have, you're still in deep ca ca, especially when you take into account what the gooberment has in stock! Would you like to take on an A-10? :roll:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Just to show polls are not to be believed I voted for "being in ca ca"......while writing this I'm looking at 50K + primers, 3,000 pounds of lead/run/antimony, a hundred or more pounds of powder, several hundred moulds, probably 30,000 empties of 50 different calibers........then there's the guns----006
Ruger Flattops .357/4&5/8. .357/6&1/2
.44/6&1/2***#843***..44/7&1/2..44/10"
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

CHEATER! Hmm you TRUMP PEOPLE! :D
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I learned my lesson in the last "dry spell" and I am shooting as much or more than I ever did.

Over the past 5 years, I find that I shoot less and less factory ammo.

I buy Unique and 2400 in the big jugs so, I'm good. This is a photo of normally full ammo shelves here in San Antonio.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well the guy I thought I had 5 pounds of RL-25 coming from renigged on the deal . So I’m back in the “could use some” category or switch to one of three other powders I already have that won’t quite yield as much velocity . Either way I’ll endure . :wink:

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Academy stores here look the same. Wal-Mart has shotgun shells, but nothing else.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Bought another 3000 primers last night, one a brick of Rem 7/2's at a fair price that I bought as more of an investment since their future is dubious at present. But if Biden wins this fraudulent election then I will keep it for myself as I don't see demand diminishing under his presidency. I'm set for life for powders and primers now as well as brass and quite a few bullets too. -Tutt