Looking for a Smith & Wesson Model 22

The place to post items FOR SALE, WANTED TO BUY, WANTED TO TRADE, or AUCTION ALERTS.

Moderators: Hobie, rjohns94

Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

Looking for a Smith & Wesson Model 22

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Guys,

I’m looking for one of these. Let me know if you know of anyone wants to sell one.

Thanks in advance.

Scott
Attachments
7D3E64E3-C679-4321-AA5A-5AC048090398.jpeg
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Looking for a Smith & Wesson 22

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Scott, do you mean a MODEL 22? (That don't look like a .22 to me....).
44shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44shooter »

Definitely a Thunder Ranch Model 22. I've got one just like it but plan to keep it. Wish I had the 21 also.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I miss my s@w model 29
Last edited by rossim92 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rossi 92 .357 lever
Henry .22 lever and a remington speedmaster 500 .22 lr
Marlin glenfield .22 boltaction
Mossberg 12 ga. pump
H&R 12 ga. topper
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Marlin 336W .30.30
Heritage rough rider .22 sa
Taylor smokewagon .357 sa
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

That's right. A Smith & Wesson Model 22 in .45 ACP.

Sorry for any confusion.
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Looking for a Smith & Wesson 22 (cancelled)

Cancel this search.

Thank you.

I purchased a 625 Mountain Gun in .45 ACP so I have what may be the next best thing.
44shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44shooter »

That should do nicely. My TR 22 is my favorite revolver. It replaced my 586 for the nightstand. Carries a lot easier too. Leaves a big hole and is not as loud.
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

44shooter wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:39 am
That should do nicely. My TR 22 is my favorite revolver. It replaced my 586 for the nightstand. Carries a lot easier too. Leaves a big hole and is not as loud.
The noise is a big deal. I shot a pig with a 125 gr .357 out of a 3 1/2 inch pre-27 the other day and was "impressed" with how LOUD it was! After several months of shooting a .45 Colt at moderate velocities, it really got my attention!

I'll look again later because I really like fixed sights on a carry gun.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My answer to your and my search:
My old 1917 that had been shortened and nickeled before I got it. I think I traded a Colt SAA in 32-20 for it and a Merwin Hulbert. Great carry gun if you're big enough to conceal it. Buy good full moons, cheap ones cause misfires. I like Wilson's.
Those bullets are 185 XTPs.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

I've actually thought about having my 1917 shortened like that. The only problem is that it is the old long action and does not feel quite right to me.

But it would be so much cheaper to go down this path.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Scott Tschirhart wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:00 am
I've actually thought about having my 1917 shortened like that. The only problem is that it is the old long action and does not feel quite right to me.

But it would be so much cheaper to go down this path.
I'm glad to hear it isn't just me. I have always preferred the later 'short action' S&Ws.
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

I’m spoiled!
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

It didn’t take long. I bought a Smith Model 22 last night. Now I just need a pair of magna style grips and I’m in business.
44shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44shooter »

Are you keeping the Mountain Gun too?
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

44shooter wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:59 pm
Are you keeping the Mountain Gun too?
I took it out and shot it and it is a real shooter. So I will probably keep it. Its a pre-key lock gun but made after Smith & Wesson went to the frame mounted firing pins.

But I will likely carry the Model 22. I like a square butt N frame with magna style grips.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Scott Tschirhart wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:13 am
It didn’t take long. I bought a Smith Model 22 last night. Now I just need a pair of magna style grips and I’m in business.
That is great! Some years back I pestered S&W's LE Division pretty hard, trying to get them to make me up one w/o the lock. Today, I would just cork it and go on.

Funny how time wizens a feller up ;)
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

This is a pretty good shooter. But I had to put a shim on the strain screw so it would be sure-fire in double action mode. Used a spent .22 shell that I cut with a hacksaw.
Attachments
BA34D3BA-3117-49A6-B629-60F5671FAF17.jpeg
D297AD89-E17D-4454-BC27-F95F6E77D1F9.jpeg
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

Shim works like a charm. And it was the only thing I could find to fix this on the ranch this morning.
Attachments
B22DF42C-DBAF-4A59-8680-4749A560376D.jpeg
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Scott,
You couldn't screw the strain screw all the way in to get more power? Great idea you have ....good old fashioned redneck ingenuity.

I've got about every N frame and variation ever made .....before they started the niche market 20-30 or so years ago....and one of the first things I do is replace the rebound slide spring along with a polishing of the slide.......depending on the use of the gun I'll replace the mainspring with a reduced power or extra power main spring.....most everything is available from Wolff Springs, right down the road.....and they still make me do the mail thingy.----6
The King Of Spades
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

Sixgun wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:15 am
Scott,
You couldn't screw the strain screw all the way in to get more power? Great idea you have ....good old fashioned redneck ingenuity.
I think someone my have taken a file to the strain screw. Even screwed all the way in, it did not reliably set off primers in the trigger cocking mode. It did fine when I cocked the hammer.

It will probably be cured with a new strain screw, but all I had was a hacksaw blade and empty brass on the ground at the range. This will work until I get another screw ordered.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Try some Federal primers and see if you can keep that light trigger. Is there someone who makes a roller sear for the double action of S&Ws? I had a Python with the roller sear and it would fire double action with only 4 lbs on the trigger. Old trooper in Florida used to do them. Maybe it's Cylinder and Slide who does them for S&Ws.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I definitly see a need for a fix instead of using different primers ......in my exerience MM Remington primers have been the softest.......there's just something disconcerting about a light hammer fall. :D

My BIL has this Colt SV something....it replaced the excellent Detective Spl....it fires 5 out of 6 every cylinder full.....I cleaned the entire gun inside and out and replaced the mainspring......still won't work reliably....I told him to have a new firing pin put on as short ones do leave the factory......"hey man, it still don't work" he says........after I spent several hours and aggravation sending away for parts...all for free mind you....

That's why I stopped working on people's guns......or cars......even at "free" they complain.....-----6
The King Of Spades
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

I need a gun like this to shoot with any ammo I put in it. The shim did not seem to adversely affect the trigger at all. At least not that I could notice.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Back in the 1980s when I was shooting IPSC, I had a Smith 25-2 that the springs were very light on to the point it would only light Federal primers for me but I traced the misfires to bad full moon clips. Any "give" in the clip cushions the hammer fall enough to keep primers from firing. I now use Bill Wilson's full moons and they are very dependable and stay flat forever. I know I wouldn't trust anything else in my carry piece.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks for the tip. All seems to be well now.

But I am really looking forward to taking delivery of the Smith & Wesson model 22. I've been carrying a revolver more and more lately and there is something about a fixed sight Smith N frame that I have always liked. But I’m going to need to replace those stocks.
Attachments
FBDED52F-0AB7-44A7-9A8B-74652A1163F1.png
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Scott Tschirhart wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:11 am

I've been carrying a revolver more and more lately and there is something about a fixed sight Smith N frame that I have always liked. But I’m going to need to replace those stocks.
Scott,
Ya like fixed sight n frames? On the lower right was a special gun that Jeff Croze had made for me at the factory.....fixed sight model 629 with a two inch barrel....it's a handful but with black ebony magna style grips with a Tyler grip adapter makes it somewhat controllable....with reduced loads....flys out of my hands with full power loads.....I've never seen another like it.He also worked over the action like polished glass and cut off the spur.....

Lower right:...the loads I use are a bi t more powerful than a 45 acp.--6 these are all n's of varying vintages from1913 on

The King Of Spades
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Looking for a Smith & Wesson Model 22

Very nice. I always wanted Smith & Wesson to come out with an M&P style revolver in .45 Colt or .44 Mag. They made a heavy barreled fixed sight Model 58 but I wanted a thinner, lighter barrel profile.

Remington used to make a 240 gr SWC factory load in the .44 magnum that clocked about 1000 fps. It was dead soft, and it leaded a bit, but it knocked the snot out of bad guys.

The factory Remington 250 gr .45 Colt load was also a favorite for patrol officers in Houston in the 80s. It probably wasn't the best bullet profile, but from a 6 inch Smith 25, it certainly left nothing to be desired in effectiveness.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yes....it's amazing that the old heads knew what worked and now we have these "defensive loads" at $2 a piece.....go to the Gun Room post and see what I use in my 38 Spl's defensive guns.....I just posted it last night so it's probably on the last page 138.
The King Of Spades
Scott Tschirhart
Levergunner 2.0

We used to buy that as a factory load called the "Super Police" as I recall. I never shot anything with it, but it had a following.