SOLD 50 caliber percussion double rifle

The place to post items FOR SALE, WANTED TO BUY, WANTED TO TRADE, or AUCTION ALERTS.

Moderators: Hobie, rjohns94

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

SOLD 50 caliber percussion double rifle

Post by Bill in Oregon »

For the muzzleloading enthusiast who likes a challenge, here is a .50 percussion double that is surely like no other, from the custom walnut stock to the German-made Weatherby Variable 2-7 scope. The rifle is in nice shape, with soft matte rust-browned barrels and nicely tuned triggers. There are a light rub marks on the barrels and a small scratch here or there on the wood, but that's about it. Rifle weighs just under 10 1/2 pounds. The scope and mount can be removed and replaced with a rear leaf sight to be fitted to the nicely shaped barrel rib. Based on the engraving on the lock plates, I am pretty sure this started out as a CVA rifle. Anomalies include the blued left hammer -- the right is casehardened -- and the fact the stockmaker did not choose to inlet for a ramrod. Another anomaly is the right barrel, and here is where the challenge comes in. I only shot this rifle from 25 yards, using three loads, three shots each barrel: 60 grains Triple 7 FFFg, 70 grains Triple 7 FFFg and 80 grains Triple 7 FFFG, with a .010 pre-lubed linen patch and .490 Hornady round ball, lit by CCI No. 11 Magnum caps. The left barrel performed very well, putting three into one ragged hole with the 70-grain load, a bit high and left. The right barrel sort of liked this load, going a bit high and right, and sort of liked the 80-grain load, but did not like the 60 -- or I pulled the shot badly. I don't see a burr on the crown or any obvious reason why the right barrel wants to misbehave. That will be for the next owner to find out. Based on two shots each barrel right and left at 50, these barrels will likely not converge -- as would a properly regulated and much more expensive double. That said, this would make a heck of a rifle for hunting from a blind or tree stand. Asking $450 shipped, and not looking for trades, thanks. That vintage Weatherby scope -- standard crosshairs -- has some value by itself. Ask if questions, and I probably can't answer them but will try.

Imagefullsizeoutput_1224 by ComeWatson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_160a by ComeWatson, on Flickr

Imagefullsizeoutput_1607 by ComeWatson, on Flickr
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .50 caliber percussion double rifle FS

Post by Bill in Oregon »

To make clearer, this was the result shooting at 25 yards with 70 grains of 3F T7. You can see the left barrel is a tack-driver with this load -- a bit high and left --while the right barrel is just thinking about it. I settled the crosshairs on the 8 for all six shots. The right might want a .495 ball, or a thicker patch, a little more T7 or maybe some Swiss or Old Eynesford. Even with the better-regulated Pedersoli doubles at twice the price or more, you often have to work up a different load for each barrel.

Imagefullsizeoutput_160d by ComeWatson, on Flickr
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

The barrels may deliver tighter convergence at 100 yards. I had a Pedersoli Kodiak double in .50 and it took a while to get the load right, but once I found it, the groups were definitely tighter at 75-100 yards than at 50 yards. That's a good looking rifle and those groups look promising.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks Doc. I've had Pedersolis in .58 and .72, and they came with two rear sights. This one may have originally been so equipped -- a simple solution.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .50 caliber percussion double rifle FS in NM

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Will go $425 shipped. No FFL needed, of course.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Bill, yer killing me! Luckily its to heavy to wanna carry anywhere!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

I dont call it a long Colt for the same reason I dont call it a short Auto!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Todd, I hear you. With three back surgeries and at my age, I just can't lug a rifle like this in our elk woods at 9,000 feet. Think it would be great for whitetails from a blind, or hogs.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

SOLD.