OT - hunting TX - Natl Forest Nov 13-15 2009 UPDATED

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Re: OT - hunting TX members - Natl Frst Hunt/Camp Dec 12-14

Post by rost495 »

Wow, sounds like fun. I'd actually love to do it after season for hogs and a fun camping trip.

Unfortunately I have CHL renewal on the 22nd with Carolyn and my mom.

Good luck! I've only been into Davy Crockett NF, but always had good luck there.

Jeff
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

I'm working towards this outing too - just forgot to log in and post.

- Brian
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Awsome guys - the more the merrier! Looking forward to this - guys, we will need to PM each and exchange phone numbers and such - also need to pick a specific spot to camp - anybody have a good suggestion????
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Awsome guys - the more the merrier! Looking forward to this - guys, we will need to PM each and exchange phone numbers and such - also need to pick a specific spot to camp - anybody have a good suggestion????
For the November hunt or the December hunt?
Ricky

DWWC
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Good point. We've got two going don't we? :twisted: :mrgreen:

I'm still on for the 11/22 weekend.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

OK, I sent a PM to both of you with my e-mail address and cell number. We'll need to figure out where to meet, etc. Let's work vian e-mail until closer to the time.

Todd
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

OK - for those confused as to what's going on:

First hunt is coming up soon - 11/21-23 weekend. This is at the Sabine National Forest - map page 83 in the public hunting map book. We are in the process of picking a camping area - there are three on the map. You can bag a legal buck or if you've got a doe permit, you can take two of those! I'm betting anybody that applies for a permit will get one. Also, you can hunt hogs at the same time - bag as many as you can process. ;) Most small game to in season.

You need a standard hunting license with an annual public hunting permit $40 added. You can then bring your kids 16 and under- I think its 16 with just a standard youth hunting license.

We'll be camping in tents but you can bring a nice 20 bed RV if you have one and share :lol:

This is open to any interested members. So far we have three of us confirmed. Should be a good time - there's been plenty of rain this year and this is in the piney woods region - which is good hunting.

The next hunt will be December 12-14 weekend - same place unless we change that up...

-----------------

Texas antlered deer requirements this year: (been a while since I've hunted WT in Texas...) looks like spikes are legal and bucks with 13" inside spread are legal - but not basket bucks with full racks but between the ears - less than 13".

I seem to remember spikes not being allowed.... ?

A spike is good eating :) But I'd rather take a doe... hope my permit comes soon....
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

Yes, 13 inch minimum on bucks, but any buck with at least one unbranched antler is also legal. So, a spike is legal, or a three point, etc.

This hunt is coming up quickly, so if you guys want onboard, e-mail OSOK or myself and we'll fill you in.

The original hunt in December is still planned. I wanted some backstrap for Thanksgiving, that's why I proposed an earlier hunt as well...

There is tent camping on Bannister WMA and there is also a motel just down the road.

TONS of acorns are on the ground around here, so I'm guessing that deer won't have to move far to get food. It may make for a tough hunt, or maybe not... We may hit the late rut or post rut, not sure.

Todd
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I'm ready and willing ! I'm trying to get a few things gathered up. I hope to make both of the hunts, but will definitely be there this weekend.
Ricky

DWWC
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep at the country inn.... ;) Where are we going to have the fire? :lol:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Re: OT - hunting TX - Sabine Natl Forest Nov 22-24 & Dec 12-14

Post by BoneDigger »

Just to verify, this is BANNISTER in the Angelina forest, and not Moore which is in the Sabine forest. We're all on the same page, right?

I went back to page 5 of this thread and it looked like we were all thinking similar since RK and I both have doe tags for Bannister.

Todd
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

Well, the first outing is over and done. I personally had a good time and it was a REAL pleasure meeting OSOK and RKrodle. The hunting was pretty good but the sitting around eating burgers and chatting was even better! Love that catfish!

I was the first in the field, arriving on Thursday afternoon. I didn't get to hunt that afternoon, but I drove around some right before dark and looked for likely places to hunt. I found one spot that looked promising, so Friday morning I was in the woods at daylight scouting. Around 8am I stopped at a nice spot with some good signs and set up the popup. Within 30 minutes I counted 15 deer and had my doe on the ground. The old .35 Remington 336 did quite well. It was a 30 yard shot and she ran maybe 10 yards before falling. With this group was a small buck (4 point, with one side being unbranched) that I could have shot, but decided to take the big doe. I found a couple of spots for RK and OSOK, but they didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. RK saw a buck both mornings and OSOK saw a deer (unknown what type) on Saturday morning. I sat back in my spot Saturday morning but as I suspected, the deer were really on the lookout and none came within shooting distance. I did see another 8 deer, but again, no shots.

Saturday afternoon we hunted a new area and it was good to see that part of the WMA. I didn't see any deer, but I'll definately hunt that area again. Boy was it pretty! Lots of scrapes and rubs!

Well, I gather that RK went back out today and I gave him the coordinates of the place where I shot the doe. Hopefully he'll fill his doe tag this weekend!

By the way, getting that doe out of the woods just about killed me. I definately need a game cart or at least a drag!!!

Let's do it again guys!!!

Todd
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Glad you guys had a good time. Unfortunatley Lowe's thought I should spend my time at the store with Back Friday. I didn't even get to try it Thanksgiving day since I had to close Wednesday and set up for Friday. I did get close to getting a doe. I woke up Thursday and stagered out on the porch about 8 A.M. and there were 5 doe on my car port. They were close enough that I could have taken one with my coffee cup.
when your enemy is within range so are you
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hey everybody, the December 12-14 Hunt/camp out/ get together is just around the corner. How many of ya'll are going to make it?
Ricky

DWWC
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'm still in and should have one or two of my boys with me too. I'd like to at least get my 15 year old and have him take his first deer. ;)

His brother's got several notches in his grip already and may have to stay home to study for finals... :(

C'mon Texas guys, gather around - it'll be a good time. You need the escape. :)

NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

I'm going to try and make it if I can. I'm not sure yet.

Are you guys camping this go around or are you staying in the motel again?

RK, how did the Thansgiving weekend hunt go?

Todd
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

BoneDigger wrote:
RK, how did the Thansgiving weekend hunt go?

Todd

Bonedigger,

It turns out that I'm not the only person who decided to go hunting that weekend, it was overrun with hunters. The area that we had talked about me hunting had multiple hunters, some setting on the road. I went to the wilderness area and no one else was there. I walked in for about an hour and it started raining, hard. By the time I got back to the truck I was soaking wet, and it was starting to get foggy. I decided to pack it in and headed home. I didn't see a single thing with hair that wasn't wearing blaze orange.

Hope you can make it next weekend. I plan on camping at this time.
Ricky

DWWC
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Sorry to say I won't make this weekend's outing. I'm using use vacation time strapped to a dentist's chair being ground up and down for new crowns.

I sheared two molars two days after Thanksgiving. Didn't hurt though.

Will see you guys for the Feb Hunt at 86'ers.

Chrony is back and will test it out over Christmas shut down. Will bring to the Feb hunt also.

- Brian
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

It looks like I'm out also. I have a dead line to make and I behind at the moment, so it looks like I'm working all weekend.

BrianSH, I think 86ers hunt has been moved back to April. I'm still planning to be there also. I bought a chronograph here while back, then I bought another. The first one died a quick and painless death that was beyond repair. The second one has survived so far.
Ricky

DWWC
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

Sorry to say that I'm out as well.

I am planning to make a day hunt at Bannister sometime either next week or the week of Christmas if anyone is interested. If so, send me a PM.

Todd
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

Sorry guys, haven't been on here much lately. I'm all for a hunt again this year so count me in! I'll keep checking back to make sure that we are still on. I had a blast last year.

Todd
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Hey Todd, good to hear from you. I'm up for a hunt. How about some more of all?
Ricky

DWWC
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

Some more of all?

I'm all up for a hunt. I'm excited about it!!!

Todd
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Man - a blast from the past - I saw this and thought "I didn't post that...." :lol:

I'm up for it too as you both know! This is the Nov. 1 weekend right? I think I might come up Thursday eve this time if I can swing it and get a hunt in Friday morn like Todd did last year... and got one ;)

Are we going to camp this time around or do the motel again? I'd do either.

Anyody else going to join us this year?

We've got a bunch of Texans on the board...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Woops - opening genl season is Nov 7 this year - so that weekend - openning weekend or the next? I wonder how crazy that weekend is there...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

I would not recommend hunting opening weekend if at all possible. How about early December?

Todd
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That could work - what about the next weekend in Nov?
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

Possibly, will have to check my calendar when I get back to the office. Probably OK though.

Todd
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

So, what's the plan? November 13, 14, 15 a good weekend? I have it blocked on my calendar.... that's the next weekend after opening weekend chaos.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

How does a fella join this hunting club? I'm just a couple hours south of Sabine NF.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Nate C. wrote:How does a fella join this hunting club? I'm just a couple hours south of Sabine NF.
Nate C. you just did join :D . We did this last year and 3 of us showed up and had a good time hunting and telling li........er.....hunting story's.

O.S.O.K. I'm planning for it but won't really know if I'm coming til the last minute. I hope I draw a doe tag again this year.
Ricky

DWWC
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

Those dates look good for me. I don't anticipate anything coming up at that time. I'm hoping for a doe tag but would be fine hunting just bucks as well.

Did you guys ever get a GPS unit or a popup blind? Also, what guns are you guys bringing? I'm debating between my 30-30 and my 25-06...

Todd
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Great - that's the weekend. Welcome Nate - we stayed at a little motel in town last time - Ricky, do you have the name of that place?

Todd - I've got my older GPS and yes, a pop-up blind to use. I've worked up a 250 grian cast boolit load for my 356 Winchester Marlin 336 - that'll be my first choice to use but I'm also bringing my Marlin 94, 44 Mag.

I got my doe tag request in thanks to Ricky reminding me to do it. :)

I may get there on Thursday afternoon and hunt that eve. and Friday.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - hunting TX - Believe Opening Day Is 7 Nov

Post by RANisbet »

I may be wrong, but just a note about opening of the general rifle deer season in Tx.
I believe opening day is Nov. 7.
From TP&W (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hu ... teTailDeer):
*Special Youth Season October 31-November 1, 2009
North Texas (208 counties) November 7, 2009-January 3, 2010
South Texas (30 counties) November 7, 2009-January 17, 2010

Texas usually selects the opening day as the first Saturday in November, so since Oct 31 is a Saturday, the rifle deer season does not open till the following week-end, 7 Nov.
If I am wrong, please let me know so that I can properly plan and not miss opening day.

Also, everyone needs to be aware of the new Special Antler Restrictions 13" inside spread that has been imposed for 113 Tx counties. This will pose an additional challenge to many hunters, since most of the deer also read the new regulation and often are not inclined to cooperate by posing for an evaluation prior to scampering off into the thickets.
Bob Nisbet
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

Thanks for the info. Bob. It's good knowledge to share, especially since we could theoretically have someone show up from out of state.

I'll check the regs on this, but how would you guys feel about possibly having a couple of small man-drives if we can find a secluded spot? I'm thinking midday sometime? Again, I'll have to check TPWD regulations on that.

Was this the place we stayed?

http://www.countryinnmotel.net/

Todd
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The dates are correct - we don't want to be there on opening weekend! Too many idjiots in the woods....

And as far as drives go, I don't have any problem with that - but I think we should go with stalk or sit on stand first and then go to the drives if unsucessful...?
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

Yes, that's what I was thinking. Sit in the morning and afternoon and drive at lunch. But, I also don't mind just sitting all day either.

Todd
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

BoneDigger wrote:Those dates look good for me. I don't anticipate anything coming up at that time. I'm hoping for a doe tag but would be fine hunting just bucks as well.

Did you guys ever get a GPS unit or a popup blind? Also, what guns are you guys bringing? I'm debating between my 30-30 and my 25-06...

Todd
I updated my GPS with a new one. It's nice. I also picked up a pop up blind and have used it a few times already. I debating between my 45 colt Win Trapper, or my 30-30 Winchester, or my 32 WS Winchester, or my Marlin 45-70, or my............
Ricky

DWWC
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

If I go it will be for the December hunt--I am already locked into something for that weekend in November. I understand you guys are talking about two separate places on the different dates, right?

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Nate C. wrote:If I go it will be for the December hunt--I am already locked into something for that weekend in November. I understand you guys are talking about two separate places on the different dates, right?
Nate, sorry for the confusion, but this thread was continued from last year. The dates in the earlier pages are from last year. Instead of starting a new post for this year we just resurrected this one. The only dates for this year, so far, are the Nov 13-15 dates. I hope you can make it.
Ricky

DWWC
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

Well, I already locked in that week in November for another hunt. Maybe next time. I hope to hear the after-action report, though. Maybe I will trek up there solo later in the season.

The National Forest lands aren't restricted to archery & shotguns like the Big Thicket are they? (I inferred not, judging from earlier posts but just making sure.)

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

No, no restrictions other than normal seasons - gun hunting is allowed in Sabine. Too bad you can't make this. Would the next weekend work for everybody? That's the weekend before Thanksgiving weekend.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

O.S.O.K., I'm easy, ya'll pick a date I'll try to make it.
Ricky

DWWC
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Todd? Nate?
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

I'll have to check with the Commander-in-Chief and see exactly what our Thanksgiving travel plans will entail this year. Nobody tells me nothin' around here...

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Nate C. wrote:I'll have to check with the Commander-in-Chief and see exactly what our Thanksgiving travel plans will entail this year. Nobody tells me nothin' around here...
Hmm, this sounds familiar... she will likely tell you that she did tell you and you just didn't pay attention :lol: :wink:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
Nate C. wrote:I'll have to check with the Commander-in-Chief and see exactly what our Thanksgiving travel plans will entail this year. Nobody tells me nothin' around here...
Hmm, this sounds familiar... she will likely tell you that she did tell you and you just didn't pay attention :lol: :wink:

Now THAT sounds familiar...

BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

I can probably do any of the weekends, assuming I know something in advance. So, yes, that weekend before Thanksgiving would probably work just fine. Also, that'll give me some extra time to workout my issues with the 336.

I received a letter today from the USFS that said they had sent out the tags already and that if you received one marked "youth" to keep it anyway. All this means for me is that apparently I didn't get drawn!

Oh well, I guess it'll be buck only for me this year.

Todd
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

OK Nate - ball's in your court.

And I haven't gotten a letter yet - that I know of -need to go check the mail.

Todd - maybe they don't give you one two years in a row?
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
BoneDigger
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BoneDigger »

Well, surprise, surprise, my wife called tonight (I am presently in NV) and said that I got the permit for Bannister in the mail today. So, I guess I DO get to shoot a doe this year after all!!!!!

So, who do we have going this time?

Todd