Gifts from the grave

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Gifts from the grave

Post by OldWin »

A lifelong friend of my dad's passed away a couple weeks ago. They were hunting and fishing buds since they were kids. His dad helped my dad a lot getting started in hunting and fishing when he was young. I have a 92 Winchester SRC in 38-40 that belonged to him.
Last week, the friends widow wanted me to go out and look over his guns to see what there was and give some approximate values. While I'm no professional, I was glad to help out. He didn't have a lot of guns, but I was aware there was a 20ga Parker shotgun that had belonged to his dad. I knew this because I had listened to my dad talk about it for 50 years.
I looked over the modest assortment and jotted down the info I needed. The widow came in and handed my dad the Parker. She said, "Al wanted you to have this". I was really happy for my dad. It was a great piece of his friend he could have.
She then said she forgot about one in the bedroom. She brought in a small zippered pistol case and handed it to me. I opened it and inside was a nice little Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless. 32acp.
When I was done, I really hesitated but told her I would love to buy the little Colt and would pay it's value. She would have none of it. I argued, but to no avail. She told me to take the little Colt. She also gave me a nice drill press and a Wilton bench vice.
She promised I would earn them! :D
When we got home, dad gave me the Parker. Why, I can't imagine. He had waxed on that thing for 50 years!
It isn't perfect. It's been hunted and shows some wear. It is still super tight and has bright 26" bores. It is lighter than an H&R single shot and balances perfectly.
To say I was surprised by all this is an understatement.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gifts from the grave

Post by 2ndovc »

Your dad's friend had great taste and what a great pair of trophies to hang on to.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

Good people deserve good things. You will always have memories while using them.
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Fabulous
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Guess now I'll have to come up and take a few days of grouse hunting so maybe I can shoot that wonderful old Parker. You're a good kid, your dad and his friend knew that and you have been rewarded! Enjoy them and never forget.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

To have people think so much of you that they leave a piece of themselves with you.....PRICELESS. The way you lived your life has come home to roost.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice Jay great gift. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks everyone. I mean it.
Many kind words. Means a lot.
And yes, these treasures will be well cared for and appreciated. For at least another 2 generations. My sons will continue the tradition.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I don't think the widow could have picked a better custodian for that classic Colt!
I'm sure she knew you would cherish that Colt. That's fantastic that your dad gave you that fine Parker!
Good things happened to good people!
Congratulations OldWin on your truly classic firearm's!
I hope your son's will enjoy them to. but not for a long time!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks buddy. I predict they will stay in the family for a long time to come.
Can't believe my dad finally got that Parker, and owned it for about two hours. I guess he can borrow it if he wants. :D
I've heard hours of stories about rabbit hunting with his friend and all the rabbits the old Parker put down. My dad carried an old Wards Hercules 16ga SxS he bought from his uncle. We still have it. I shot my first partridge with it many years ago.
His friends uncle had a camp that they used to use all the time. The uncle was quite a character and also let the boys use his flat fender Willys Jeep too. He was the reason I grew a fondness for Jeeps when I was a kid.
Dad and his friends widow are going to take some of his friends ashes in Old Red for his last Jeep ride out to those woods and spread them in the woods he loved to roam.
Fitting tribute.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I think it is good to have things that remind us of people.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:41 pm I think it is good to have things that remind us of people.
As do I.
It's my hope that someday my things will bring good memories to someone I care about.
It's funny how the older you get, the more important these things become.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My “most valuable” gun is a Wards Hercules. Was originally owned by my Great Grandfather and ultimately passed down to me. No Jack you can’t have it. If anybody REALLY wants it they can try but there WILL be a throw down.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

fordwannabe wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:46 pm My “most valuable” gun is a Wards Hercules. Was originally owned by my Great Grandfather and ultimately passed down to me. No Jack you can’t have it. If anybody REALLY wants it they can try but there WILL be a throw down.
Haha yup! I love that old shotgun. I know it isn't valuable but it's always been a good shooter. For some reason, since I was a kid, I always liked it.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

OldWin - what fine vintage guns you now have !

My brother and I share two old family heirlooms, a Winchester Model 1890 22 LR, octagon barrel, pump ; and a Winchester Model 12, 20 gauge field (made in 1916).
None of my kids (nor my brother's daughter) have any interest in these fine old guns. I've been pondering how they should be dispersed down the road. A conundrum for sure.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Very nice guns, and a nice thing for the widow and your father to do.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
People become very good judges of character the older they get......In their mind they remember how you treated them for many years and all of the good you and your dad have done. ....your friendship was paramount in their lives.

You dad and you are high up on the list and it wasn't luck....you both proved yourselves without knowing it.

That little Colt looks framiliar.....just like one I had the last time you were here... :D -----006
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thank you all again. Very much.

TraderVic,
I won't have that problem! I have 3 sons who are all into guns.
Matter of fact, they are probably planning my demise! :D
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"Gifts from the grave"?

Perhaps, but I'd say they were well earned from all the prior years of friendship & life.

I'd say for sure -- without any hesitation -- the closest friends I have now, or those I've lost too, have ALL been shooters and hunters.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH