Does anyone have a Cimarron 1873 chambered in .44 Spl?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Does anyone have a Cimarron 1873 chambered in .44 Spl?

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I was looking at them on the Internet today, and I was wondering if anyone could measure the elevator to see what kind of OAL I could load if I got one.

Thanks in advance.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Does anyone have a Cimarron 1873 chambered in .44 Spl?

Post by Griff »

Scott,

The Uberti 1873s, regardless of chambering use the same receiver... While they say the carrier mortise will allow ammo up to 1.600"... none of my 45 Colts will allow that long of a round. To be useful in all 3 rifles, I need to keep the OAL below 1.580"... I can go quite a bit shorter with the oldest one (1986 production). It will actually function with Schofields, if they're a little long... The length for proper functioning is dependent on the length of the ramp on the front of the carrier.
carrier-1860.jpg
The more slope, the shorter round can be used... to a point. It still has to push the next round back into the magazine as it rises... too much slope and it lacks leverage to push.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Thanks Griff! I'm betting that it will feed my .44 Special handloads with the Keith bullet properly crimped.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:00 amThanks Griff! I'm betting that it will feed my .44 Special handloads with the Keith bullet properly crimped.
I wouldn't. The toggle carrier lays the cartridge flat on its side, unless there's a good radius on the leading edge of the bullet and/or chamber mouth, it's an interference fit that doesn't make for smooth feeding. It's a rare toggle-link that feeds "Keith" bullets smoothly. They just prefer RFN bullets.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
black river smith
Levergunner 2.0

Post by black river smith »

Scott,

I will second what Griff stated in both of his above postings.

"Thanks Griff! I'm betting that it will feed my .44 Special handloads with the Keith bullet properly crimped." Directly to your comment... Just a week ago, I made a response to this very same approach over on another CAS site. The person was trying to use a SWC bullet in a '76 toggle link design. The Win toggle link rifles used a very specific designed bullet shape. That being a RNFP (round nose flat point). That way the cartridge has the proper 'lift and slide' movement to guide the bullet into the chamber. If you just use a tapered SWC, loaded as suggested, it will strike the chamber mouth and jam more often than not. It would be like trying to load an empty casing into the chamber. You will end up with 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5 failures to line-up perfectly to the chamber mouth and feed all the way in.

I believe in staying with the 'original design bullets shapes' for most leverguns. The only rifle 'design' that I have fed SWC bullets successfully (and I was shock that it did) was in the Win 1892. Now while they did, I would not depend on them functioning 100% foolproof, so I stay with RNFP in all my casings.
Last edited by black river smith on Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

They also like truncated cone (TC) bullets.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Griff would they feed a WFN or similar wide hollowpoint like a 200 grain GDHP? same profile in a hardcast would make a mean stomper even at 44 special pressures.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... AULT-l.jpg

A fella as SASS boards said they would but I'm hoping for more opinions.