Best AR gas system for different barrel lengths?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Best AR gas system for different barrel lengths?

Post by AJMD429 »

My son is evidently thinking of “SBR-ing” his AR, and asked me my opinion on the different gas lengths for 14.5”, 16”, 18” and whether best gas system length (‘carbine’, ‘intermediate’, or ‘rifle’) would vary with addition of a suppressor.

I have uppers in 16” & 18”, with ‘carbine’ gas and 20” & 24” with ‘rifle’ gas, and that’s it, and they all ‘run’ fine but I have adjustable gas blocks on all of ‘em that I fiddled with until they have just enough to run without the suppressor, and run ‘over-gassed’ if I add the can.

So I know what I have works, but really didn’t know the answer to his question.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best AR gas system for different barrel lengths?

Post by 3leggedturtle »

For my thoughts and simple mind i would do a pistol length gas port and use an adjustable gas block. Before the mbsv, was gonna make pistol in 300 or 350 and figured that was the best result.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

With all the caliber variants and special purpose ammo, the AR has evolved far beyond its original form. Does he have any idea which caliber he plans to build? For a SBR it is pretty much a Pistol or Carbine Gas system. If going with the SBR, especially if suppression was going to be in the mix, I would definitely go with an adjustable gas block.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

223 I’m pretty sure.

(...cuz I told him he should do the SNR in 300 Blk and have a separate 223 upper in a not-as-deafening length until he actually gets a suppressor, and he CAN’T follow all my advice; it’s against the dad-kid rules... :D )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my question about adjustable gas blocks is whether they will fit inside the closely fitted hand guards that are on my pistol uppers ? the gas blocks i have are tiny.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

ODIN WORKS has some pretty good adjustable blocks that should still fit under a thinner MLOC handguard. Personally if I were going SBR, I think I would try the .350 Legend. I agree on the 5.56 being too loud on the ears with a SBR without a Silencer. My personal opinion is there isn't enough gain to justify paying an extra $200-300 in Tax stamps just so you can cut 4" off a barrel. Especially if you have to spend another $200-300 on a tax stamp to make it where it doesn't bust your ear drums.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks. i'll look at them
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

On my SBR I do not have adjustable gas blocks for either the 5.56 upper (10 inches) or the .300 Blackout upper (7.5 inches). Both run like a sewing machine, suppressor or no suppressor. The 5.56 has a carbine length gas tube and the Blackout has a pistol length gas tube.