Old school self defense

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Old school self defense

Post by 3leggedturtle »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... JeqdGro8GX

For your entertainment if you like the old, weak and underpowered cartridges. :mrgreen: I got my monday sarcasm early again. Hope you enjoy thus cuz I sure do. Todd/3leg

Would like to see the .32 shot in a .32 S&W Long chambered revolver.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old school self defense

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I really enjoy this guy's videos.

I'm playing with a SP101 in .327 right now and I'm pretty impressed with the cartridge. Though I do not think it will replace the .357 on my hip any time soon.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

predictable outcomes. would have been more informative if he had added a 38 spcl 100Gr wadcutter load. that way there is like for like. the 158Gr bullet has LOTS MORE momentum. which makes his comparison a little ambiguous as far as the likeability of the 32. a 38 spcl shooter can load his cartridge down to the same penetration of the 32, which looked pretty good to me.

i need to build a box

1. buy lumber yard
2. cull crooked lumber
3. build box
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Grizz,

Its cheaper for us to let him do this for us. :D

This guy even shoots in the snow!!! [Though I wonder if the temperature of the water (assuming it is not frozen) has any effect on bullet penetration?].
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Mr. Tschirhart , "won't replace the .357 on my hip", not sure what your .357 is, but is it the caliber or the gun itself you like better?
Rumble.com/ hickock45
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

When I'm feeling out of place in these times I carry this. I just feel better.
Now that's "Olde School".
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Ooh! I've got one almost like that under my pillow 'cept my barrel is 5 inches. I keep it loaded with 45 Colts with black and 200 grain bullets.
And yeah, makes me feel better. Sorta comforting just to feel the grip.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The .327 with the 100 grain JSP bullets seems to have good penetration and adequate power for carry purposes. In the SP101 you have 6 shots. No it is not a .357 Magnum, but it is not really meant to be. It also does not kick like a .357 does.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Ray wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:40 pm
Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:23 am Grizz,

Its cheaper for us to let him do this for us. :D

This guy even shoots in the snow!!! [Though I wonder if the temperature of the water (assuming it is not frozen) has any effect on bullet penetration?].
Mr. T, check your p.m.'s
Water is weird. As it approaches freezing it increases in volume by absorbing air. The density reduces, but any real difference is negligible until it solidifies.

They plastic is more likely to become less flexible as it cools. But again, for these types of tests it’s negligible. What would be more interesting would be to see the results of half full versus full jugs. Both striking below the water line.

Because of airs compressibility I would expect to see much less tearing of the half filled jugs. Even a full uncapped jug would probably have less damage.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Because of airs compressibility I would expect to see much less tearing of the half filled jugs. Even a full uncapped jug would probably have less damage.
that is a great point. gonna try that.

but, i used to fill the jugs to the tip top thinking i wanted a "harder" impact, ( :roll: )and those jugs were blown to pieces. the hydraulic shock is amazing, even without air in the jugs
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Grizz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:51 pm
that is a great point. gonna try that.

but, i used to fill the jugs to the tip top thinking i wanted a "harder" impact, ( :roll: )and those jugs were blown to pieces. the hydraulic shock is amazing, even without air in the jugs
Energy can neither be created or destroyed. It is simply changed from one form to another. In other words, it gotta go somewhere.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Energy can neither be created or destroyed. It is simply changed from one form to another. In other words, it gotta go somewhere.
so true. i have a video that's too big to share, that illustrates this. 525Gr hard cast penetrating 12 jugs of water. the jugs were sitting on a 2X8 sitting across the bed rails of my truck. the down force on the plank sprang it into the air completely off the rails. i could jump on the plank and not deflect it, that tiny little bullet, that weighs a tiny fraction of my weight, deflected the board down enough to make it spring up off the bed.

this is probably a very poor narrative for a self explanatory video, but it's the essence of my opinion of heavy for caliber slow moving projectiles.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

4t5 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:21 pm Mr. Tschirhart , "won't replace the .357 on my hip", not sure what your .357 is, but is it the caliber or the gun itself you like better?
I have a long history with the .357 cartridge going back to when I was carrying a badge. After shooting several thousands of rounds, I know what to expect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Grizz wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:19 am predictable outcomes. would have been more informative if he had added a 38 spcl 100Gr wadcutter load. that way there is like for like. the 158Gr bullet has LOTS MORE momentum. which makes his comparison a little ambiguous as far as the likeability of the 32. a 38 spcl shooter can load his cartridge down to the same penetration of the 32, which looked pretty good to me.
Gruzz wasnt a 32 vs a 38 video. It was just nice to see a comoany loading a decent round fir the 32. BUT I'd bet you could make a 150-200gr 32 load that would not only surpass a 38 but would also come close to the 300 BO ala your 44 mag 405gr load! :mrgreen: Todd/3leg

Woukd be interesting to see how a 100gr 38 WC would compare tho.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

piller wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:28 pm The .327 with the 100 grain JSP bullets seems to have good penetration and adequate power for carry purposes. In the SP101 you have 6 shots. No it is not a .357 Magnum, but it is not really meant to be. It also does not kick like a .357 does.
No doubt. If I could find one in a 2 inch lightweight J frame, I would probably use the .327 with that 100 gr JSP as a daily carry gun.

But Smith does not make such a gun, and I'll bet there is a good reason for that. (high operating pressures).
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Todd, I got that about the 32. I am a social misfit because i have never fired a 32 caliber firearm, and never experimented with loads. I imagine that certain 32 cal loads might out perform certain 38 cal loads, and it would be a whole heap of fun determining which is what!

if it were me, i would want to compare bullet weight to bullet weight, and bullet form to bullet form, and penetration for each pair of examples, and bullet deformation for each pair.

comparing a 158 grain anything to a 100 grain anything is an exercise in wasted water jugs. :D :lol:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Grizz, my testing was with 38 and 3.5grs of Red Dot with either a 158gr RNFP or a .375 round ball swaged down to .360.... The RB went thru a treated 2x8,, 3/4's the way thru. The 158 went thru 1st one, and 3/4's of the way thru the 2nd. This was out of Ruger LCR. When I shoot water jugs, I put a big piece of cardboard 2 feet behind them to see the shape of bullet after going thru jug.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

cool on the round ball! what was the weight and how hard was it? and what did it look like after the shot?

you can tell i don't get out much, right? :lol:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Grizz wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:19 pm cool on the round ball! what was the weight and how hard was it? and what did it look like after the shot?

you can tell i don't get out much, right? :lol:
About 77grs, cast out of wheel weights, slight flattening of nose coulda reloaded it again. At 10 yards was getting 5 shots into less than 2 inches. Hardly any recoil, used imperial sizing wax to lube them, smeared over top after seated in case.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good info. i have a mold for #1 buck because i think it's a better defense load, and because i think i can load em into 30-30 cases for some roundball fun. have not cast any shot yet, but it will happen. i load a .69 roundball in 12Ga birdshot shells for super cheap slugs. fun out of cyl bore shottie