Winchester 1886 33wcf is home.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester 1886 33wcf is home.

Post by JOG »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:12 pm
JOG wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:56 pm Hey Sixgun,
I just looked up what year commercial production of 33wcf stopped.
It was 1940! So there Mr. no it all! My memory was correct!
I'm surprised with all the glue I've been sniffing this week!
I'm just kidding! I just thought I'd break your chops a little bit!

If you find a box at a show it'll cost you anywhere from $100-$400 and it will be old with hardened brass that will probably split when you shoot it...maybe, maybe not......it's a safe assumption to say no factory ammo has been made since the late fifties.------

Here they be....junk from my collection

The 2 part box...middle row, left is factory dated May 1916

Box on middle row, right was made from 1946-1955

Box on lower row, middle was made from 1932-1940

The Westerns are from the 1930's and the Remington's from the forties-fifties.

From the Winchester book

Ok Six,
Your the master! That's a great collection you have there! I saw a red Winchester box for$ 120.00, but it had dried up old tape on it.
There's a near mint green Remington box for $175.00 plus shipping. I guess it for collecting not shooting.
Thanks' for posting that photo!
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

Six, I've seen a few picks of , I guess your reloading bench, room?? My Lord! Where did you get all those wonderful toys!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hmm, let's see......33WCF.
I've got this box. It's from back a ways. The seal is cut but it's a full box.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:52 pm Hmm, let's see......33WCF.
Jay,
Looks to me "August 1913"......look at the date as I can't see it very clearly...looks like "8-13 or "8-18. On those old two piece Winchester boxes they dated them. If the ammo is original that's a $250 box.

You see the same style of 33 ammo I have? It's very close to yours but of a different year. Wording is slightly different. Back in 1975 I bought this '86 off of this antique gun dealer for $350. It was a nice one. While there I noticed he had a mess of 33 ammo there and I asked him to sell me a box...he just threw it in with the deal. Imagine that, the "free" ammo I got is now worth at least half of what I paid for the gun.

Drawdown...thanks bud...I've been in this old gun game for close to a half century. In those days nobody wanted nice old 1894's unless they were special of some sort....they could be had for a $100-150 in 75% condition. Even nice old 1886's brought $3-600 but then again $100 was a weeks take home pay.---006
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:34 pm
Jay,
Looks to me "August 1913"......look at the date as I can't see it very clearly...looks like "8-13 or "8-18. On those old two piece Winchester boxes they dated them. If the ammo is original that's a $250 box.

You see the same style of 33 ammo I have? It's very close to yours but of a different year. Wording is slightly different. Back in 1975 I bought this '86 off of this antique gun dealer for $350. It was a nice one. While there I noticed he had a mess of 33 ammo there and I asked him to sell me a box...he just threw it in with the deal. Imagine that, the "free" ammo I got is now worth at least half of what I paid for the gun.

Drawdown...thanks bud...I've been in this old gun game for close to a half century. In those days nobody wanted nice old 1894's unless they were special of some sort....they could be had for a $100-150 in 75% condition. Even nice old 1886's brought $3-600 but then again $100 was a weeks take home pay.---006
Hey buddy!
It's from 6-18. Can you imagine the cool guns we coulda had back then? I think about stupid stuff like that. Wondering what I would have done, or if I'd of even liked guns if I lived back then.
I'm betting I would. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Different time and different thinking back then....most people just wanted to survive and guns were merely tools.....my dad told me in the 1930's it was rare to hear people just shooting for fun and this was in the mountains of western Pa. and if they were shooting it was with .22's.

Gun collections? Huh? maybe Teddy Roosevelt and his buddies....with a few Elmer Keith's thrown in.

You and I both would have had guns and most likely more than we needed.....we are true to the word "Gun Cranks" like Elmer Keith and his kind......

6....o...bippity bop da loopster. :D
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I would have liked to have met Elmer Keith. I'm just glad I got to see and touch some of his guns and stuff down to Julia's that time.
It was cool to see his guns. He was the deal.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 pm touch some of his guns
What??!!! HIS guns too??? You wore the buffalo coat into Julia'???? You da man! :D

Hey for real pal...which ones do you remember? Did you see the #5?
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:30 pm
OldWin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 pm touch some of his guns
What??!!! HIS guns too??? You wore the buffalo coat into Julia'???? You da man! :D

Hey for real pal...which ones do you remember? Did you see the #5?
I did see the No5.
There were a pile of Rugers. If I remember right, he got every new Ruger that came out. They were all serial no. 4 if I remember correctly.
The one thing that really sticks out is an old 4" Model 29 Smith. It was very worn from miles of carry. If you saw it somewhere you'd pass right over it. But just knowing old Elmer put that wear on it was cool as all get out. There were just odds and ends of stuff too. Stuff that could have been in anyone's gun room. Partial boxes of shells, an old belt, holsters......it went on and on.
It's weird, but that was the stuff that really made an impression. The stuff that made him seem like any of us. He wasn't though. Quite a guy. From better times.
Wish I could have bought it all haha.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks bud....I would have enjoyed to see all that GOOD STUFF!!!
Model A Uzi’s
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

That's a oldie Oldwin,
Tell us about the old 73 Winchester you have there!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Mornin' JOG!
Haha! That is a 73 SRC in......yup......38-40. Supposedly pretty scarce, but this is Maine.
Like we was talking about before we drifted your thread all to pieces. :D
Now you see why we have the "politically incorrect" thread! :D
Anyway......
That 73 was first in my hands in the parking lot at work about 25 years ago. This bud I worked with was into guns but not old stuff. We used to bull at work and I infected him. He spent about a year running around buying all kinds of old Winchesters. Some of em pretty good. He brought it to work to show me. It has lots of finish wear like many carbines. It was well cared for, however, and has no rust or pits. What shocked me was when I looked down the bore. I expected a sewer pipe but it was shiny as a new dime and super clean.
Well, I had a family and I didn't have the buffalo coat back then so I just filed it away.
Fast forward about 10 years and I get a call. This guy didn't work directly with me anymore so my influence waned and he was off on something else.
I told him I would be right there. I bought the 73, a special order 1892 TD rifle in 38-40 and a standard 1892 SRC in.... ......yup, 38-40. Bought all 3 for 2300.
I got my 1886 in 45-90 from him too, but at another time. For 1k bucks.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

That is a fantastic price for all those classic Winchesters! A lot of those old Winchesters have seen lot's of carry time , not much shooting!
Back in the old days you sight then in, ready for hunting. Same box of ammo for ten years!
I hope you pass them down to your children, keep them in the family!
I hope all is well Oldwin!
Johnny
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

JOG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:38 am That is a fantastic price for all those classic Winchesters! A lot of those old Winchesters have seen lot's of carry time , not much shooting!
Back in the old days you sight then in, ready for hunting. Same box of ammo for ten years!
I hope you pass them down to your children, keep them in the family!
I hope all is well Oldwin!
Johnny
In them days it was hunting season all year long! :D
Especially up here. For some it still is haha.
Oh definitely. I have 3 sons who are all into guns too. Six has met my youngest. He sold him a beautiful TD 1895 last year.
All is well, thank you Johnny.
Just got home from the Harley shop. Had a new rear tire mounted and balanced. Got to throw in some new brake pads and put her back together this afternoon. Almost time to get it out of the cellar.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Riding season is here! One full month, then it's winter for you northerners! :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

JOG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:54 pm Riding season is here! One full month, then it's winter for you northerners! :D
Haha yeah that's about right!
Luckily, Jeep season is a little longer.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JOG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:54 pm Riding season is here! One full month, then it's winter for you northerners! :D
Hey...hey....I managed to get up at noon instead of 1 or 2 so that enabled me to get to the post office before they close at 5.....it's only 300 yards down the road but it takes me 2 hours to get dressed and have my coffee. (Don't try to figure out the math, I get moving when I feel like moving.....that comes as a result of other people telling me what to do for 62 years.

ANYWAY, I get to the post office, get a mess of packages..(my wife is hell with a debit card and a phone).....and there's the brass from Johnny O! I open da package and with the brass and bullets is more money than I asked for.....Thank you Johnny!

I hope to load this ammo sometime before September....September 2026 :D

Model A Uzi’s
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:33 pm
Hey...hey....I managed to get up at noon instead of 1 or 2 so that enabled me to get to the post office before they close at 5.....it's only 300 yards down the road but it takes me 2 hours to get dressed and have my coffee. (Don't try to figure out the math, I get moving when I feel like moving.....that comes as a result of other people telling me what to do for 62 years.

ANYWAY, I get to the post office, get a mess of packages..(my wife is hell with a debit card and a phone).....and there's the brass from Johnny O! I open da package and with the brass and bullets is more money than I asked for.....Thank you Johnny!

I hope to load this ammo sometime before September....September 2026 :D

No problem!, your the one doing me a favor investing your time and know how! I'm not rushing you at all, but sometime before Trump's second term start's!
If there delivered within 3 weeks I'll pick you up in my 1974 purple Gremlin and take you to the Puff Daddy concert! I'll have a bottle of Conversa and Hawaiian punch
in my Styrofoam cooler. I'll twist up a blunt and crank some Cool and the gang! Just remember to wear that blue sweat suite and some air Jordan's!
I know a guy that can do some cornrows in your hair and pierce your ear! You be lookin dope with a big butt cubic zirconium earing hanging out of your right ear!
Nobody will know that is not a diamond. Now that should light a fire under teepee!
Johnny
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh Lordy.....your humor puts mine to shame.....I'd have to vote you number 1.

Well, discussed it with mom...now that I have all this extra money it's time for the fuzzy dice and curb feelers for the caddy. Might even have enough left over for the hydraulic shocks, 24" rims, and hubcap spinners..... :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:10 pm Oh Lordy.....your humor puts mine to shame.....I'd have to vote you number 1.

Well, discussed it with mom...now that I have all this extra money it's time for the fuzzy dice and curb feelers for the caddy. Might even have enough left over for the hydraulic shocks, 24" rims, and hubcap spinners..... :D ---6
Sixgun, life is short, it's good to laugh! All my best memory's of old buddy's and myself, we were laughing!
And drinking of course. After about my 8th beer my pals would say, it's time for the Johnny show!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

What in holy habenaro is going on here.

Don't tell me there's another one as disturbed as Six? :shock:

I go work on my Harley for a while and look what happens.
I took a break to shove a whole pile of tacos and a couple cold brews down my throat. When I went back, I couldn't bend over to put the brake caliper back on the bike.
Figured I'd go sit in the garage with the dog and have another beer while I searched for a solution. :D

Hey JOG,
You sent Six a pile of cash? :shock:
Oh Oh!
Haha no worries bud. I'd give him the keys to my gun room while I went to Alaska.
Would you believe he left me all alone in his gun room for about 5 minutes? Bet he regrets that! :D

Have buffalo coat........will travel.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

OldWin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:15 pm What in holy habenaro is going on here.

Don't tell me there's another one as disturbed as Six? :shock:

I go work on my Harley for a while and look what happens.
I took a break to shove a whole pile of tacos and a couple cold brews down my throat. When I went back, I couldn't bend over to put the brake caliper back on the bike.
Figured I'd go sit in the garage with the dog and have another beer while I searched for a solution. :D

Hey JOG,
You sent Six a pile of cash? :shock:
Oh Oh!
Haha no worries bud. I'd give him the keys to my gun room while I went to Alaska.
Would you believe he left me all alone in his gun room for about 5 minutes? Bet he regrets that! :D

Have buffalo coat........will travel.
He added all those $100's to enhance that photo! Wait a minute, I'm light 2 bills in my wallet! I thought they were singles. I'm sure he's going to send me about 250 reloads!
I know he's handy with any tool out there. I was going to ask him to help me put a lift kit in my 74 Gremlin!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wooooo! Sweeeeet. Who wouldn't want a lifted 4x4 Gremlin? :D
Man, you're riding in style buddy!
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

OldWin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 pm Wooooo! Sweeeeet. Who wouldn't want a lifted 4x4 Gremlin? :D
Yeah boy! I traded in my AMC Pacer for the supped up Gremlin.
Let's just say she sure turns some heads!
Quite frankly it's a babe magnet!
Unfortunately all the babes are over 300 pound's!
It really stresses the 6 cylinders pulling weight like that.
I usually drive them down to the Handy Pantry for there weeks cold cuts.
Have you ever had government grilled cheese made with a iron on wonder bread.
It's quite a culinary delight! Wash that down with some Drambuie mixed with grape Cool Aid.
Life is good when your riding in style! :D
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

JOG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:43 pm
OldWin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:00 pm Wooooo! Sweeeeet. Who wouldn't want a lifted 4x4 Gremlin? :D
Yeah boy! I traded in my AMC Pacer for the supped up Gremlin.
Let's just say she sure turns some heads!
Quite frankly it's a babe magnet!
Unfortunately all the babes are over 300 pound's!
It really stresses the 6 cylinders pulling weight like that.
I usually drive them down to the Handy Pantry for there weeks cold cuts.
Have you ever had government grilled cheese made with a iron on wonder bread.
It's quite a culinary delight! Wash that down with some Drambuie mixed with grape Cool Aid.
Life is good when your riding in style! :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Drambuie is good, but mixed with grape kool-aid? :o
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Dram-buoy? :D
We don't have that in these parts. That some kinda fancy Cham-pag-ne?

That's why they cut the back of the Gremlin off. They had to shave weight. That little 258 had a rough time hauling heifers. That's why they gave you the 304 option.
They Pacer failed cause with all that glass they could see the heifers. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Johnny.....I agree bro......best memories are with my buds laughing. I noticed it also takes you 8 beers.....yea, after number 8 I was ready to do all my stupid stuff. .....the stuff you hate yourself for the next day.

Yea....those Maine babes are corn fed.....couple of years back Jay used to have me laughing like crazy telling about these T bars they have in Maine......the bar tops are sitting on cement drain culverts.

There was a movie some time back with this 800 pound woman named Darla and when she got in the car it near tipped over......

Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No joke. My old High School had a teacher who was so fat that his van had overload shocks installed on the front drivers side. He was about 500 pounds. It took him 15 minutes to walk up 1 flight of stairs. My guess is that he had a medical issue which caused the weight.
D. Brian Casady
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You laugh, but after a few beers she looked some purty in the light of the burnin tires.
Queen of the pit party! :D
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

After my 14 beer she somehow look somewhat thinner! The next morning I woke up with no self respect and a good hangover!
After replacing all four shock I was on the prowl again! I have a secret weapon to lure them in.
That's right Eskimo pies and slim Jim's! It's like honey to a bear!
Wait that's not politically correct, indigenous Artic Igloo dwellers ice cream bar's.
I almost committed a hate crime in letter form!
I have to go now, I have a case of white guilt coming on!
I have a cure for that Johnny Walker Red and reruns of the Mod Squad! :mrgreen:
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Your right! I'm so sorry.

I didn't mean to offend the gravitationally challenged who identify with the female orientation.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

JOG wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:03 am After my 14 beer she somehow look somewhat thinner! The next morning I woke up with no self respect and a good hangover!
After replacing all four shock I was on the prowl again! I have a secret weapon to lure them in.
That's right Eskimo pies and slim Jim's! It's like honey to a bear!
Wait that's not politically correct, indigenous Artic Igloo dwellers ice cream bar's.
I almost committed a hate crime in letter form!
I have to go now, I have a case of white guilt coming on!
I have a cure for that Johnny Walker Red and reruns of the Mod Squad! :mrgreen:

Not sure if anyone is interested but Johnny O. axed me to sell dis foe he's.---006 :D

Heeeerrrrrrssss Johnnny......it will be on the way tomorrow....will PM tracking number.

Model A Uzi’s
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

You axein two dollar for all those billets! Das how much I sell skinny blunts for!
Whats me gunna use use for my Winny! I guess I could sand down some 410 slugs!
I needs the billets, I mugged a hippy for his blunts! All dem white boys smoke Marlboros.
What's about a pack of Kool's. This white boy had a wallet made of hemp, so I smoked it!
I will be hanging out in front of the Checks Cashed store today. I be selling loosie's.
Two dollars for a Marlboros'. I have a bottle of Mulberry Julip in a brown paper bag to
keep my lips wet! I have a couple of big ole gorilla fingers to be puffin up!
If you see me in my Gremlin classin up your hood throw me some chump change.
JOG
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh boy...that's what I needed to wake me up....

"loosies". :D that's what they gave that one guy a "sidewalk death sentence" for.....he was selling loosies.

Hey, you remember Freddy Gray, the cat from Baltimore who they found dead in the back of the patrol wagon? (Maybe he was the one selling loosies....) .....anyway, I never knew this but I've heard that's it common to give a "prisoner" a rough ride when they are transporting them to the Big House.

I can picture it now.....all the cops are up front laughing their butts off listening to all these bumps and bangs in the back... :D

And that's all they have to do is say "yes sir, no sir" and comply.....like where did that cat think he was going to go the other day when the woman cop shot him.......THREE cops standing there and he busts out and tries to drive away...bang! "Oops" should have been it...the end of any discipline.---6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Wright was 20, and had been arrested for using a firearm in a crime. He was not an innocent good kid. He was a violent young man who thought his race would get him out of all trouble he got into. That Cop made a mistake in a very stressful situation that Wright caused. She was not trying to kill him. Her voice changes too much. Even an excellent actress would require several takes to get that much stress and shock in her voice.
I am saddened by his choices in life that led up to his death.

OK. Back to talking about leverguns.
D. Brian Casady
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Personal responsibility has gone out the window! This young black guy made the decision to rob a women at gunpoint!
Then when she didn't comply he choked her out! Then he fought a black cop trying to arrest him for a gun crime!
His decisions inadvertently led to his death. The media will lie and make him look like a quire boy.
One less gun toting criminal thug on the street's!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That's the way I see it......ya keep camping in the woods in high winds and eventually a tree is gonna fall on you.

His mom is on TV all distressed (understandably) and crying but I partially fault her too. She obviously made a lot of bad choices in life....

I've always told my kids.......and enforced it........to stay the heck out of troubled areas and troubled low life people as eventually something is going to happen that's not your fault.....
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. I agree 100%. Being a parent is a job and a responsibility. People today don't want either.
We got three boys out of this house with no trouble with the law or anything else. They are all honorable and hard working young men.
Yes, there may have been some luck. But there was most assuredly a lot of hard work and not putting up with any BS.