Winchester 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BSinkie
Levergunner

Winchester 30-30

Post by BSinkie »

I purchased a Winchester lever action 30-30 at a gun show. It’s never been fired and I wasn’t able to cycle it at the show. When I got it home, I tried to dry cycle it and the hammer will not retract all the way. If I pull the hammer back first, it cycles fine. Is this normal for a Winchester. I had a Marlin that would cycle unloaded just fine but this one doesn’t. I haven’t tried loading it and cycling it yet.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 30-30

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Welcome to the biard, some one soon will be along tell you. Todd/3leg
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

No it isn't normal. It does require more effort to cock the action with the lever versus cycling a cocked action but it shouldn't be hard. I don't know enough about them mechanically to troubleshoot it though

I have noticed a lot of sellers like to get rid of problem guns at shows. I picked up a Ruger 77 cheap once and it shot patterns. After some efforts finally discovered it had a ringed barrel.
Last edited by 44shooter on Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The hammer should hold back every cycle. Does your gun have a safety? If so where is it- tang or in the side of the receiver? Pictures are helpful.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Are you saying the bolt will not come back if the hammer is down? Or are you saying the bolt goes back but the hammer doesn't cock and rides the bolt forward?
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I'm no gunsmith but I have a Winchester 9422 that was doing the same thing. I would cycle it and the hammer would not stay back. I could thumb it back manually and it would fire. I removed the stock and used breakfree to clean the bolt and inside parts. After it dried, I oiled it lightly and now it works perfect! Hope its just some crud in there. Good luck.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Are you saying you bought a rifle without looking it over? Not even out in your car when you went outside? That's like buying a car without listening to the engine run. What makes you think it was unfired when you need to see the innards to make that determination. Your going to need more than good luck.
Model A Uzi’s
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

He is past the looking stage and needs our help! I would take the rifle apart and make sure its unloaded and then disassemble and clean it first. It just might be all gummed up.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Do not use WD-40 but get a can or squirt bottle of gun lube and open the action. Spray inside the opening at the top of the receiver and lightly spray around the area where the hammer comes through the tang( metal strip that has screws attaching buttstock), also turn the gun upside down and give a light spray to pivot points where the lever touches other metal. Then cycle a few times. It that doesn’t work get back to us.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.