S&W 64-5

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

S&W 64-5

Post by JOG »

Good afternoon gentleman, I went down to my local gun shop this morning looking for some ammo. Next to nothing on the shelves! There in the display case was a Smith and Wesson 64-5 in 38 spl. I've never owned double action revolvers before. I'm more of a single action revolver guy. I mostly like to carry semi auto's Colt 1911's . The S&W I looked at was in pretty nice shape. Most likely a police trade in. It was only $350.00 so I decided to put some money down on it . I don't know much about the 64-5 models. It's a stainless model with with the pin on the hammer. It has the 4 inch barrel with the black rubber grips on it. It feels real nice in my hands! I know some have locks in them, I think this one is pre lock version. It has a scratch or two but as a shooter it will due just fine! I know it was the last revolver the police used before the semi auto 9mm came in. I'm just looking for a few opinion on this firearm from some of you gentleman who have owned it. Is there anything I should look for before picking it up. I plan on shooting the living hell out of it!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W 64-5

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That is a really good price on a top quality revolver. Enjoy! Here is one of my favorite revolvers. A Smith 65.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

IIRC the only difference between the mdl 64 & 65 is the 64 is .38Special only, while the 65 is .357Magnum. I love my mdl 65. Very accurate with both standard .38Special and +P. Mine was tuned by our Department armorer in 1986, and has never needed anything done since. He did replace the factory trigger & hammer with ones from a blued mdl 19. Gave me a wider spur on the hammer and wider, ribbed trigger. That change did improve trigger control in all weather conditions. Plus the CCH'd hammer and trigger look good!
Last edited by Griff on Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am certainly no expert on S&W. What I know is to try to wiggle the cylinder. A very tiny amount is supposed to happen. Very tiny! Swing the cylinger out. Again, minimal play in the movement. If it moves more than the thickness of a sheet of notebook paper, it might need work. Try the trigger. S&W triggers are known to be smooth and slick. One with some use should feel like oiled glass. One with abuse may feel gritty. Look at the firing pin and the hole it passes through. Smooth and even = good. Little areas with indentations or out of round are probably bad.

Others with more knowledge will be along shortly.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Excellent purchase I say.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The 64 is nothing more than the model 10 in stainless form......before Smith had model numbers they called it the "Military & Police"..

Without a doubt the Model 10 has fed the families of Smith & Wesson for over a hundred years. When the economy was tight and fancy target models were not selling the Military & Police was getting churned out to keep the factory in business. Foreign contracts were numerous.........

The Model 10 and Smith & Wesson is akin to Remington and the model 870, Winchester and it's 94 carbine, or Ford Motor Company and its 150 pick up truck line........you know, it's "bread and butter" product.

You can't wear it out and it will take a steady diet of +P's.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I'm glad to hear good things about the S&W 64-5. It should be a real nice shooter! Thanks for the opinions on the revolver guys! I've been watching some videos on you tube about the S&W revolver. It's seem that it was good enough for the police it should be just fine for a range toy! +P's are no problem at all! I'll enjoy putting rounds down range with a classic American double action!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

As a general rule, I prefer adjustable sights, but the 64 makes a great home defense or truck gun. I don't currently have one, but have owned several of them over the years.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

JOG--the 64-5 is a great choice -- I just bought a S&W Model 10-5 (2" barrel, square but) on Saturday from a retired LEO friend, it was made somewhere between 1968-1970. He acquired it from another retired LEO in the late 80's. It has some honest wear, but the lock-up is tight, no end shake. I was told it wasn't shot a lot, mostly a house gun. I always wanted one... :)
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

People might think that the fixed sights are a problem, but at least to me, I have never handled a heavy barrel Model 10, 13 or 65 that didn't shoot right to the sights. I have seen some of the skinny barrel guns that shot a bit off. But that is easily fixed by a little smack to the barrel to bend it slightly to make it shoot to the sights. This one is dead on at 25 yards with my favorite handload.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Score!
You can't beat a good K frame. Period.
They just plain shoot. The point of shooting is hitting, and I've seen few handguns that are as easy to shoot well as a Smith K. They are also one of the most pleasant revolvers to carry. This means you are likely to have it when you need it. My old P&R model 66 is my most carried revolver, bar none.
People always rag on em for lack of strength, especially the magnums, but they are plenty strong if used in a sane manner.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you look at the information available, many close range interpersonal crisis situations have been dealt with by a .38 Special. Few cases of assault with intent have continued past the point where the one who commits the assault receivinc 2 or 3 solid center mass hits from a .38 aspecial. Yes, there are some anomalies. There are always anomalies when humans are the subject. A well made and strong enough .38 such as a K Frame can handle the +P loads. The high quality +P loads are so close to standard 9mm rounds in velocity and power as to be almost the same. About a 1% difference. Pharmaceutically, the human body cannot tell a 6% difference in potency. Power level from a bullet is, just a guess, probably similar. To me, that means a hit from a .38 Special +P is equal to a hit from a 9mm when both are quality bullets. +P .38 Special is listed at 360 to 380 ft-lbs of energy. 9mm hp is listed around 370 to 390 ft-lbs of energy.
Now, I have nothing to back this up other than my own observations at gun ranges, but I usually see those with .38 Special revolvers practicing to hit the target with small groups. I often see those with 9mm just trying to hit the target. Granted, that is not always the case on a person to person basis. It is a general observation based on personal experience. My takeaway is that those who still use a .38 Special revolver are more likely to be the ones to hit the target in a place that is of high value to the continued functioning of the human body.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Those S&W K-Frame guns were a staple of the S&W line for decades for a reason.

That Model 64 will outlast you if you treat it with any sort of respect. The Model 10s
that I've shot all shoot to point of aim with 158 gr. loads. I've even seen guys put up
respectable scores in Bullseye competition with fixed-sight Model 10s. Someone who
knows what they're about with a S&W K-frame is a worthy opponent in just about
any scenario.

If one was limited to one handgun, it would be hard to argue with that Model 64. Loaded
with 357 Magnum, it could put venison or bear meat on the table. Loaded lightly, it's okay
for rodents and pests. And it's also fine for social work; and accurate enough to have fun
in competition. One of the great handgun designs of all time for sure.

-Stretch
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Might I suggest loading any 158-173 grain cast bullet over 5 gr of Unique? Not quite a plus p but quite a useful load.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Thank you all for your comments gentleman! I'm confident that the S&W will be well worth the price! I will take very good care of it as I do with all my firearms! Since my old Marlin 1894c fires 38 spl. fairly accurately, I'll take them both out together. I really prefer blued gun's, it seems that most of the S&W I've seen were always stainless. I'm sure they made plenty of blued gun. You just don't see any at my local gun shop. If anybody in the southern Maine New Hampshire area is looking for a 90% 1968 Winchester 94 Canada Centennial rifle with the 26 inch barrel in 30-30. Kittery Trading post has one in stock for $550.00.
Last edited by JOG on Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Used to like to hit KTP once in a while. It's a long ride for me though.
I still think of that 1876 Express they had that time. Don't see that stuff up here.

That ain't a bad price on the 94. Those usually shoot pretty good.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

OldWin wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:48 pm Used to like to hit KTP once in a while. It's a long ride for me though.
I still think of that 1876 Express they had that time. Don't see that stuff up here.

That ain't a bad price on the 94. Those usually shoot pretty good.
Before the covid hit K.T.P. had some good collectable levers in stock! Pre W.W.2 Winchesters and some pre safety Marlins. Now it's mostly Jap. Winchesters and Uberti's 73's! Good guns but I'll wait until pre 64 Winny's and pre safety Marlin are back in stock! Any given day there would be 25 or 30 Henry's in stock. There's not one in stock. I've never seen the place so empty! Come to think of it they had a Winchester original 1886 in 45-70. It had a old refinish job and they wanted $4,500.00 for it!