Large Loop for Winchester

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Large Loop for Winchester

Post by dad »

I'm kicking around about getting a Large loop lever. I have a Winchester 1894 Trapper in 30-30 made in 1985-86. I haven't been able to find a replacement or substitue. The wrangler is way to big. I realy like the Henry size or one like Marlin in their BL. Any ideas I can check out or suggestions? Thank everyone!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Large Loop for Winchester

Post by gamekeeper »

I've never used a Large Loop but the one on the Henry Carbine .22 always looks cool to me. Sorry I have no suggestions as to what or where to buy.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

I have had the H001L and traded it for the Small Game Rifle in 22Lr. I realy like the large loops.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I replaced the large loop on my "Big Boy" carbine with a standard loop.
The large loop is slower to use, gives no purchase in handling or shouldering the rifle and allows plenty of momentum for rapping the knuckles on fallow up shots.
shiloh505
Levergunner

Post by shiloh505 »

I like the large lever loop and have a Winchester 94 in .44 magnum for deer hunting. It does the job well.
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

Has anyone dealt with "Ranger Point Precision ?" They say they make them and they are out of stock. I was thinking about being put on their wait list for one.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

If you hunt way up north where you wear gloves I could see using a large loop. Otherwise I like standard loop much better! Although we all grew up watching the Rifleman with his large loop Winchester 92. Even though it was supposed to be 1870s or 1880s! The Duke had his Winchester 92 large loop Trapper, and McQueen had his mayors leg! They have a cool factor!!!!
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

I live in Michigan and its cold beeerrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

The rifleman uses a "wrangler" loop which is very large. Then their is what is called a "mule " which is smaller. This is the type I'm looking for. I believe the Marlin 336BL is this type of loop I've tried that and I like it, along with the Henrys large loop also. Some times people make their own and then its very personable to ones own own hand. I can't confirm this but isn't that where John Wayne got his on his Model 1892?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have a custom one on a BB 444 Win. It is between sizes and works very well.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

dad wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:45 am I live in Michigan and its cold beeerrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!
So you know all about the cold! I'm up here in Maine! The cold get's old as you get older!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Might fit, back in stock in 2 weeks. -Tutt
https://rangerpointstore.com/winchester ... oop-levers
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

Thanks for the lead! Went to the web sight and have them notifly me when in. Hopefully its a drop in replacement!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That looks like a good option.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

I hope I realy like my Winchester Trapper! If not might have to consider buying another gun so I can get a large loop for it. It seams like Marlin And Henry are the choices in 30-30.
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

I hope I realy like my Winchester Trapper! If not might have to consider buying another gun so I can get a large loop for it. It seams like Marlin And Henry are the choices in 30-30.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Dad, according to the reviews, it doesn't look exactly like a drop in fit, best to send it to a qualified gunsmith for installation I think unless you have some gunsmiting skills. That being said, probably still cheaper than a full custom lever. A custom levergun will bring you years of shooting joy to you, your family and heirs. Worth some dinero's if you ask me.

Regards,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

I will try it first if it doesn't drop in it will go to a gunsmith that's for sure! I hoping that when it gets fitted in, the trapper will give me many more years of service and venison! I could find a used Marlin but a extra 100.00 to 150.00 for a medium lever. That would be 450.00 to 550.00 or Take a chance on Ruger bringing out a 336BL or buy a Henry for 750.00 to 800.00! I really don't want to buy a new rifle now. I will if I have to, I have been looking at 44 mag. For eastern deer hunting in the woods under 150 yards it would be good round also! That would end up being A Henry trapper! If Henry ever made a 30-30 in a Trapper I would buy one! I have sent in suggestion on their web sight. They do listen, we will wait and see.
dad
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dad »

I got my Medium loop lever front Ranger Point Precision. I installed it and what a difference it makes. The Trapper will eject dummy rounds and even with my hunting glove! Now for a bit of advice on the roller pin that holds the link and the lever together. Mark that pin it has ribs that have to match up to the link and I only found it goes in one way! When it mates up the pin it lines up with the opposite side of the link and taps in better. Oh I almost forgot no left over parts when I got the Trapper back together! :)
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm very happy Dad that the lever worked out for you! :D :D :D

-Tutt