Looking for 44-40 hunting articles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Looking for 44-40 hunting articles

Post by mickbr »

Thanks if anyone might have links or articles they might like to share, or personal hunting stories.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Looking for 44-40 hunting articles

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've killed several whitetails with the 44-40 as it's my favorite caliber. When I was 15? I traded my Remington c&b revolver and some money to total about $35 for a CFSS at a little gun show. I was into a group of old men who shot black powder cartridge and cap and ball revolvers so I started loading for the 44-40 and eventually got a few levers in the caliber. I bought an old 92 with a bulged barrel and had a new Green Mountain octagon barrel fitted and chambered in 44 WCF and cut to 20 inches. Kept it for many years and used it a lot to hunt with. I got a couple of Uberti 73s when I started shooting CAS and really like them too but I kept wanting a 73 SRC (saddle ring carbine). I finally found one I could afford and after cleaning it up I found a load, of ffg, that it liked with a 200 grain bullet that I cast from 30:1 alloy. It has a barrel that slugs .431 so I had to open up a mold to cast bullets big enough to fill the barrel. Shoots decent now and I've killed a couple of deer with it.

I've shown this pic before but here it is again. Right where he fell.

There is a member here from I think, New Zealand that has related tales of hunting there for Roe Deer. I found it fascinating.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Looking for 44-40 hunting articles

Post by Shasta »

Here is a link to a good read on this forum:

https://www.levergunscommunity.org/view ... CF#p790500

Shasta