Tang sights: Lyman vs. Marble's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Tang sights: Lyman vs. Marble's

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I've had both, but it has been so long I have forgotten if one make had any significant advantages over the other for both target work and hunting carry. Anyone care to chime in and help your elderly brother? :? :lol:
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tang sights: Lyman vs. Marble's

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I do not care for tang sights at all. I've used them a lot on Sharps rifles, but I never have learned to love them.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Scott, those big Verniers we mount on the Sharps and other long-range rifles are fine for shooting targets. I agree they are a pain for any other purpose. Seems to me the small hunting tangs aren't nearly so inconvenient.
I just can't use a buckhorn anymore.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have had both and I much prefer the Marbles as it has windage adjustment while the Lyman does not. I fit most of my leverguns with the Marbles. If you want a real Cadillac tang sight get the Montana Vintage Arms vernier.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Lyman and Marbles both had windage adjustment in their early tang sights, and Lyman had the advantage of a locking stem so once vertical you could push a lever forward to lock it upright. I don't know anything much about newer tang sights, but in the old tang sights the Lyman had better features, and I prefer them.
I love tang sights myself, and almost all my old rifles have them. But only a couple have Lyman or Marbles on them. I prefer the ladder style midrange or longrange tang sights for my shooting. Like you Bill, my eyes don't work well with buckhorn sights.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Beautiful rifles, as usual, Vall! 8)
Shasta, you really do like tang sights don't you! 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:09 amI've had both, but it has been so long I have forgotten if one make had any significant advantages over the other for both target work and hunting carry. Anyone care to chime in and help your elderly brother? :? :lol:
Shasta is correct, the new Lyman's aren't windage adjustable, unless you're very creative... I've found in the majority of cases, I can simply shim one side or the other of the tang sight's base and end up with a sight that's sighted for that particular load. At one time Simth Enterprises made a copy of the early Lyman tang sight... and what a marvelous sight it is!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

depends on usage. i put the UNadjustable peeper on my guide gun, sighted it in center of seashell zone and tightened it enough that a truck would have to hit it to dislodge it. why? because i want to have only the smallest most remotest chance that it might be off, rather than having to quadruple check the thing. i made it into a fixed sight. cause, i don't want to have to fix it again. :lol:

P.S. it's still "ON" after all these years.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I think a fixed peep sight, mounted on the bolt on a top eject gun, would be the bee's knees! Especially if it was rugged enough to not move in a saddle scabbard.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I love tang sights. Got em on 5 or 6 lever guns and much prefer the Marbles for the windage adjustment but I have a couple of Lymans without windage too and like some body said I just shimmed them. I really like the ability to sight the barrel sight for short range and then flip up the tang for longer. Like my 86 is set for 100 and 200 yards. Of course now my eyes are getting where they prefer looking through a smallish aperture to get the image sharp.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:46 pm I think a fixed peep sight, mounted on the bolt on a top eject gun, would be the bee's knees! Especially if it was rugged enough to not move in a saddle scabbard.
Thats what my BHA 89 levergun has (only it IS adjustable), and it works real nice...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

As for the modern Lyman's and Marbles and for what they cost these sights are one of the biggest rip offs in the gun market. They are sloppy threaded and can easily fall apart......ZERO craftmanship for what ???...$100-$150. They work for what they are but the price should be half of what they cost.

I have several of each and prefer the Marbles due to the windage.

I have maybe 45-50 of the originals of which most all are mounted on guns and unless they have been abused, they are tight threaded with threading that stays put. The modern ones use an o ring or a spring detent to stay put.

The ones by Montana Vintage Arms and a couple of other quality manufacturers are in a class by themselves but they cost as much as a gun does.

Once you know quality it's easy to see and feel the difference.----006
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have a couple of tang sights that were sold by C Sharps arms years ago ,they are similar to the Lyman tang sights but are more robust and better quality. I don t know if C Sharps made these in house or if they out sourced them to someone else as they are no longer made.These are not the ones they currently sell made by marble
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:46 pm I think a fixed peep sight, mounted on the bolt on a top eject gun, would be the bee's knees! Especially if it was rugged enough to not move in a saddle scabbard.
I had one on the rear scope mount of my remington 7mm mag. talk about sight radius! it was a "can't miss" gun for everyone who shot it !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Jay Bird wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:22 pm As for the modern Lyman's and Marbles and for what they cost these sights are one of the biggest rip offs in the gun market. They are sloppy threaded and can easily fall apart......ZERO craftmanship for what ???...$100-$150. They work for what they are but the price should be half of what they cost.

I have several of each and prefer the Marbles due to the windage.

I have maybe 45-50 of the originals of which most all are mounted on guns and unless they have been abused, they are tight threaded with threading that stays put. The modern ones use an o ring or a spring detent to stay put.

The ones by Montana Vintage Arms and a couple of other quality manufacturers are in a class by themselves but they cost as much as a gun does.

Once you know quality it's easy to see and feel the difference.----006
Couldn't agree more! I'd buy an old one that's tight and made better before I'd ever buy a new one. But if I had any Winchesters I'd buy the MVA version before a Lyman or Marbles. Yes, it's $225, but a much higher quality sight. Or I'd buy a Lee Shaver Economy Soule, and have a far superior sight, with lots of windage and elevation adjustment. They're $260, but money better spent than it is for a sloppy loose sight.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:40 am Beautiful rifles, as usual, Vall! 8)
Shasta, you really do like tang sights don't you! 8)
Thanks Bill. Can't see it, but the 1893 Marlin has some unusual sights all around. The front sight is a Lyman globe with flip up peep or post inside the globe. And the top of the receiver has a full length peep sight that's dovetailed into the receiver top, with a peep aperture at the back that is screw adjustable for elevation also. One of a kind sight, that I've never seen on another gun. I bought this gun from the original family in Goldendale, Wa. many decades ago. It is the first Marlin I ever purchased.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

No tang sights here, I prefer a receiver sight. The tang sight sits so much lower in elevation than the top of the receiver, it has to be very long just to get to the same sight of the top of the receiver. Seems counter-productive to me. The Lyman 66 with Brownells Twilight apertures mounted into the underside of the stock work very well with a fiber optic front sight. I use a Williams rear receiver sight with a fiber optic front on my 358 Win BLR. The Lyman 66 allows for very quick adjustments for elevation with its spring loaded plunger design, and you can have a rigid default setting too for your favorite load. -Tutt

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/ly ... eep-sights

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/s ... 26077.aspx
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Tutt,
You can get on faster with a tang sight...you throw the gun up and just look at the front sight......the same as with a receiver sight but with the receiver sight you still have to "look" for the opening..the tang sight peep hole is there instantly, slightly longer sight radius and is easier for target shooting for you can use a .030 hole...you won't do that with a receiver sight.....

The two advantages a receiver sight has is that it near indestructible....tang sights are easily bent and with heavy recoiling rifles a tang sight will pop you in the eye.

There's other pros and cons as the receiver sight can be made with more solid fine tuning.....if your eyes can see it. There was a time I could use a .030 aperture but I now need a .060 due to "spider webs"
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The only deficit to a tang sight vs. a receiver sight might be that the height could make them a little easier to bend or damage if the gun was dropped or treated roughly. But I don't see this as a detriment. Looking at them from a positive point of view, the tang sight has far more adjustment in it, so taking shots accurately at longer distance is easier IF the shooter knows his sight well.
And the big plus over receiver sights is the ability to retain a buckhorn barrel sight, and be able to use it, and the tang sight together! I often leave my tang sight folded down until I see game, and determine the distance. If the game is under 100 yds. I can use my buckhorn rear sight. If further out I can flip up my tang sight to use. And since it's there to use at longer distances, the game isn't as likely to spook before I can adjust for the distance.
First rifle I took mule deer hunting was my .38-55 Ballard with a midrange tang sight. Had it set for 150 yds., and left down. Saw a nice mule deer that I figured was about that distance, and dropped him after flipping up the sight. My nephew ranged the down buck at 143 yds., so it was close enough to work well.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:32 pm Tutt,
You can get on faster with a tang sight...you throw the gun up and just look at the front sight......the same as with a receiver sight but with the receiver sight you still have to "look" for the opening..the tang sight peep hole is there instantly, slightly longer sight radius and is easier for target shooting for you can use a .030 hole...you won't do that with a receiver sight.....

The two advantages a receiver sight has is that it near indestructible....tang sights are easily bent and with heavy recoiling rifles a tang sight will pop you in the eye.

There's other pros and cons as the receiver sight can be made with more solid fine tuning.....if your eyes can see it. There was a time I could use a .030 aperture but I now need a .060 due to "spider webs"
Six Old Friend, I tend to disagree but maybe I am agreeing, I'm not sure. All that matters is getting your rear sight aperture to meld well with your front sight (I prefer fiber optic front but YMMV). The really small aperture sights on the rear don't work for me on the rear end, it wouldn't matter if it was a tang sight or a receiver sight.

I use the larger of the Brownell's Twilight apertures to go with my front sight on the 454 Puma. Use what works for you. The 358 Win BLR, also a McPherson gun, uses the smallest fiber optic front sight before someone discontinued it (True Glo, maybe Williams once upon a time?) and a Williams receiver rear sight, not sure which one. Might be time for an upgrade there.

Personally, I don't see any advantage to a tang sight here, just size your apertures to what works for you in a tang or receiver sight. Use the aperture size that works for you.

As I already said, the tang sight has to be much longer to do the same job as the receiver sight. Not for me.

Regards,

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Tutt da Dude,
Heres the problem....I'm 66 and your a youngster....when a person gets (if he's lucky) to my semi ripe old age he gets bullheaded and thinks he knows more than anyone younger than him......after all, that's the way I was raised.."respect your elders".

What they didn't tell me was that if a person was older, he was not necessarily smarter and what works for one person may not work for another! See? I'm admitting I'm stupid! :D

Everyone looks, reacts, and perceives things in their own way and I have the attitude, "if it ain't my way, it's the highway"....for my adversary.

I hear ya bro....its probably because I've been looking through tang sights since I was a teenager ......never did care for receiver sights. But another problem has arisen.....I need a scope nowadays......(hate to admit it but I've got scopes on original 1886's...shhhhh!------6
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The additional sight radius of the tang is it's majority advantage over either a barrel sight or a receiver sight. And this is true for any length barrel. Combined with a globe front sight they can be as accurate as a scope... I much prefer the changeable inserts in the front sight, as that seems to make them very adaptable for changing conditions.

On my most used Winchester 94s, they wear one of the various tang sights and the Lyman 17A front sight. The tang sight seems to disappear, and if my prescription is accurate, the front sight and most targets will be in focus. Yes... my 5 year old prescription leaves a little to be desired right now! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

One of my rifles has a Marbles tang peep and a folding barrel sight. It is a 1886 45-90 TD with 26 inch barrel and the sight combo has worked out well:
With tang peep folded, use the barrel sight.
With barrel sight folded and tang peep up, use it.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Griff, how is that Lyman 17A globe front holding up for you in the hunting field?
Tutt, I agree a receiver sight is stronger and certainly more convenient than carrying a levergun with the tang folded up right where my thumb wants to wrap around the stock wrist.
But I like the old timey look of a levergun with tang. Trying to think when receiver sights first came into serious use. They sure were the nuts on sportered Springfields in the interwar years.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I did my best to take some photos of the sight picture through 3 receiver sights. The first one is through the Lyman 66 on my 454 McPherson Puma.

The Lyman from the side. Its adjustable for elevation (quite a lot actually) and windage and instantly adjusts with a spring loaded plunger.

Trademark McPherson. He mounts 3 sizes of apertures under the buttstock behind the lower tang. This gives you 4 sizes total, 3 apertures and the open ghost sight.

My McPherson BLR in 358 Win sight picture with Williams rear receiver sight. Focus on the rear aperture. Has windage and elevation adjustment but not that much elevation. Its front fiber optic sight is smaller in diameter than the Puma one and no longer made as much as I know. Both guns have 20 inch barrels.

The difference in sight radius is about 3 inches or less from a tang sight according to my tape measure.

And lastly one of the finest receiver sights ever made from my Savage Enfield #4 Mark 2*

I think for a tang I would go with the MVA one or something of similar quality. Now I am going to clean my guns, didn't realize they were in such sorry shape! :oops: :D

Regards,

--Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That sight on your Enfield was one of my favorites as well. Very useful. I think a "more finely made" aperture rear sight was the barrel-mounted Buffington on the Model 1884 Trapdoor Springfield, but it has been decades since I could use that sight and see that fine front blade.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I've shot the Buffington one time through a friend's Trap Door. It does work pretty well. Perhaps its only drawback is it was zeroed for 250 yards. Anything shorter than that was considered "point blank" range and you aimed for the beltline of your target and hoped for the best.

My 71/84 Mauser I think has slightly better iron sights if you can see them. Sight radius just slightly under 26.5 inches as measured by my tape measure. It's technically a "barrel sight" and not a "receiver sight". It works very well if you have the vision or glasses for it. I think it is slightly better than the Buffington one although the Trapdoor loads and 71/84 loads were similar (about 400 grain bullets at 1400 fps). The Mauser advantage was it was zeroed to 200 meters with the sight folded down. The Buffington one was zeroed at 250 yards.

Again, it depends what works for you and your eyes. Folded down.

Folded up.

Front sight, very precise, but hard to see. Again, the rear sight is a barrel mounted one. Not a receiver or tang sight.

You have to go with what works for you. I find tang sights to be unwieldy and interfere with your grip on the wrist of the stock when carrying for field use. Your mileage may very. For target shooting, they work quite well, but so do some other options as I have pointed out.

Whether made in 1888, 1942 or otherwise.

Just pointing out options.

Sincerely,

-Tutt

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:47 pmGriff, how is that Lyman 17A globe front holding up for you in the hunting field?
I find it works very well. One of my favorite inserts... shoots very well, aim at the bottom of the black, should yield x-ring hits.
DSCN1337[1].JPG
As you can see, the slight additional hump of the tang base is fairly unobtrusive. I barely register its presence. This also shows my second favored position on sights where the base is a bit more obtrusive... Such as my Smith Ent. tang sight.
DSCN1344[1].JPG
And my more normal grip.
DSCN1340[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

LOL :D First off, Griff is a good friend of mine although we have not spoken in years. He came to a shooting event at Friends of Billy Dixon Ultra Long Range Shooting Facility years ago. He was much welcome and added a lot to the company at Torkelson's house afterwards. IIRC his SASS number is like in the teens or something! He is welcome here in NorCal anytime, and would love to see him again!

OK, that globe front sight looks really good, I have to say! I can't tell about the handling of the tang sight from the pictures for field carry. Some of the longer tang sights posted on this thread look mighty uncomfortable for field carry however. My apertures are mounted behind the wrist of the stock, and don't interfere with your hand hold. As to my sight picture, I would have to go to using the open "ghost sight" on the Puma to get something similar to what Griff posted. Here it is.

The BLR has a smaller fiber optic front sight, would probably be better. Ran out of light before I could photo it. If you have trouble seeing the front sight, the fiber optics are a good option IMHO. Today was a holiday, back to work tomorrow and very busy!

Kind regards to everyone!

Sights matter! In fact, I would put things in this order:

1. Sights
2. Trigger
3. Action
as a starting point.

1. If you can't see and hit what your aiming at, what matter the trigger? Pay the money for the good sights, you will not regret it!
2. A good trigger can help a lot to not pull you off target.
3. A good action really helps for follow up shots.

Regards!

-Tutt

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I have the Marbles on my rolling block. As 6 says, they are not well made, but it seems to get the job done.

If your existing barrel rear sight is the basic step elevator, you might install it "backwards," putting the notch closer to the front sight. Taylor, the elephant hunter, recommended that. I've purchased, but not yet tried, the "bullseye" ring style rear sight from Marbles. AJMD here recommends it. It's not pretty, but it seems like it should help with my aging eyes.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Marbles "Bullseye" rear sight does look interesting, I have to say. -Tutt