180 gr bullets in a .357 carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

180 gr bullets in a .357 carbine

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Thinking about the Buffalo Bore post, I thought I would load up some 180s at a more moderate level. I used to shoot a stout load of Lil Gun in a .357 Marlin that Mic modified to feed the 180 grain Hornady XTP crimped in the bottom crimp groove. But I always thought that I was pushing that gun a little hard. That load was so hot that I will not post it publicly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Scott Tschirhart on Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 180 gr bullets in a .357 carbine

Since I shoot .357 in a variety of revolvers I tried a load of 12gr of 2400. Should be around 1100 in a revolver and 1400 in the carbine. So I gathered up some test guns
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Empty cases fell out of the chambers on three revolvers (I also tried it in my snubby). Primer looks like I shot a .38 special load and it hits the steel plates on my pistol range with authority. Accuracy was quite good and plenty good enough.

I’m sure I can load this a lot hotter but I don’t know that I would gain much for what I do on the ranch. Not nearly as powerful as a .30-30, but the muzzle blast is significantly less. I anticipate that this will be a very useful load.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Nice!
Scott I have a Smith like yours, but mine has circular serrations on side of the hammer, a pre 27 model i think, with a very light trgher pull.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

I love these old N frame Smiths. They made them right in those days. This one is a pre-27 model.

I would really love to find a good fixed sight .38-44.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

I load the 180gr Rem. bullet designed for the 357max., for my carbine. I use MP-300 powder, under a max. charge and still get 1700fps. If I ever get to shoot a deer with it, it should be a Thumper.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I just do not need the super stout loads in any of my guns. Good heavy .357 loads that still do not shake the gun apart will do all I need. If a .357 won't do it, I move up to a bigger caliber. Besides, it could be just my experience but more than exactly middle and less than max loads have always given good to great accuracy. Max loads often start showing larger groups for me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Most of my shooting is rough shooting from woodpeckers to armadillos. Accuracy is more important than raw power.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Lately I have been using CFE Pistol for most of my 357 needs. Its a very accurate powder in just about every loading I have tried and recoil pulse feels a lot like Unique but cleaner. Its a great powder for light to mid range loadings.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I despise armadillos and shoot on sight. Almost stuck a F250 4×4 in a dillo hole in the high grass once...if they were the size of a hog they could do 10 times the damage. They are not bad to eat however if the need arises.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We live in town and had an armadillo dig up a rosebush one night. It did as much digging as I could do if I used a shovel.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost