Reacquainting with an old friend -- the .38-55

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Reacquainting with an old friend -- the .38-55

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Recently came upon a rifle model I owned 15-20 years ago -- the H&R 1871 Target Classic single-shot in .38-55. I put just a handful of rounds through it yesterday -- one with a 275-grain .380 cast bullet from Buffalo Arms over 40 grains of FFg Old Eynesford and 10 with the same bullet over 23 grains of H4895 in Starline 2.125 brass. First shot was with the FFg load, then five more smokeless right above it. Adjusted sights and moved the last 5-shot group closer to the bull. This was at 50 yards from a cheap rest. The Lyman globe front had a very coarse insert in it; I will try again with a much finer insert from Lee Shaver. Recoil with the BP load was more than with the H-4895, but every shot was incredibly pleasant. Really love the old .38-55 and it was great to shoot this classic cartridge again.

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reacquainting with an old friend -- the .38-55

Post by Old No7 »

Cool beans. That's great to see!

And reminds me that I need to get my High Wall .38-55 out shooting again soon!

I like SR4759 in mine -- just as my late father did (and I still use his favorite load) -- and luckily I still have several pounds of it.

Tight groups!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Always wanted to try 38-55 in my big bore, read an article where I believe that the big bore had a long throat to mitigate the higher pressure of the 375, and could indeed shoot the lower pressure 38-55.I'll have to reread that fine article.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Sweet !!.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Cool!
Let me know when you get tired of that one too. :lol:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

Seeing that firearm makes me miss my first firearm. In 1980 I bought a H&R 12 gauge Topper in full choke with a box of shells and a Hoppes cleaning kit. I recently came across the sales slip, total cost was $41.99. Those were the days!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

One of my first guns chambered in an old cartridge was a .38-55 Ballard chambering. I had no idea what to use, and referenced some old Ideal loading manuals I had to decide what to load in it. I ended up using a 255 gr. cast lead bullet with Unique at around 1350 fps. I was pleasantly surprised at the 100 yd. groups it gave me, and an instant fan of the cartridge!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/