All Doc Ajmd429's fault.......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

All Doc Ajmd429's fault.......

Post by .45colt »

Last month Doc posted about pellet guns...... years ago I wanted a quality , powerful spring powered one but there was always something else . with the current state of regular rim fire ammo or the lack of it His post got Me going and I dove in . I ended up ordering a RWS 350 Magnum .22 cal. I call it the beast. it weighs 8 lbs . it is a full size gun . it has a cocking force of 45lbs . they call the trigger the T06 , it is two stage and the second stage is probably 2lb and is like glass.
When I first unboxed it a week ago I thought I was going to return it , too big , too hard to cock . You have to learn to shoot it , it has to be broken in , it doesn't like to be held tight.
In the last ten days I have shot it about 200 times. either I'm getting stronger of it is easier to cock . Momma had an aluminum soup pot laying around , and at 30 yards it has become a big piece of swiss cheese . the Crossman pellets I picked up shoot better than I can hold and are inexpensive . I now have 2k of them. I shot it thru the Crony today and it shoots the 14.3gr pellets 850fps , it sure is Fun ...........................Thanks Doc. :D .

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RW ... m/396#9413
piller
Posting leader...

Re: All Doc Ajmd429's fault.......

Post by piller »

Squirrels and rabbits would be DRT with that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have an early 350 magnum in .177, if I shoot light pellets it easily breaks speed of sound! I prefer heavier pellets, the Beeman Crow Magnum is the best tree rat pellet, large hollow point, squirrels normally only go feet before DRT.
I was not as impressed by the trigger, I learned to live with it as it didn't adjust like I felt it should. However it's not as accurate as my RWS 45 .

Years ago in a fit of stupidity I decided to make a .177 HEAVY mould, those pellets were over 20 gr, I promptly broke the spring in the model 45. A call to RWS said send it , life time warranty. I said no I can replace it. It took me a few days to figure out how to compress that 3' long spring! I did get it finally!

Amazon has a fair selection of pellets.

Next on my list is a big bore airgun but I'm too cheap to buy a gun and a compressor! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:57 amNext on my list is a big bore airgun but I'm too cheap to buy a gun and a compressor! :lol:
Same here.

But think how a 50 caliber air-rifle would be as far as a survival-gun....Get ya about ten thousand plastic sabots, and now you have a projectile-hurler that needs no powder, no primer, no cartridge case, and if you can't find proper bullets, you can stick whatever you can find in the sabot that is about the right weight, and use that. You MIGHT even be able to do some sort of 'paper-patch' equivalent with air rifles (keeping in mind that the compressed air IS hot).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

"Beeman Crow Magnum is the best tree rat pellet"

Oh, yes.....

-Stretch
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

These things are addictive all right. My only airgun right now is a Xisico B-25 in .177 -- $75 shipped from Flying Dragon. It is much more accurate than I can hold, in spite of a challenging trigger.
I had a Diana 52 some years ago. It was a LOT of air rifle in every way.
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I have had my FWB 124 D for over 40 years! It was the hot rod of the 177's in it's day. Nothing compared to the power of todays hot rods. 8 gr pellet about 820 fps. Always nice to be quiet and plink a rat or mouse.
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My son has just changed his job, he is no longer a Squirrel Trapper. He has got another conservation job which involves Mink trapping, he is well equipped with Air Rifles etc. but now needs to use a Air Pistol for humane dispatch. The Benjamin Trail NP looks like a strong contender. UK gun laws being what they are there's not a great deal of choice.
For simplicity, as other members of the team are not hunters, a single shot pistol with about 5 ft-lb of energy should do the job, any suggestions.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The best thing about a pellet rifle is it makes your ammo for other guns go farther! I shoot mine often, and it allows me to get some shooting time very inexpensively. Plus I don't have to drive 17 miles to the gun club every time, and load my truck with everything I plan to shoot.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

PLEASE pardon me if I'm hijacking this thread, That being said, quite some time ago I had picked up a couple cases of CCI 550 spm primers and about 10 pounds of Vectan Ba10 (which is a bit faster than Bullseye). Since I don't use small pistol magnum primers much these days, I figured I'd pick up a Lee C225-55-RF 55gr six cavity bullet mold and cast up a BUNCH of them and load into 223 cases using the 550s and 2.5gr Ba10 and turn my Mini14 into a straight pull bolt action running these rounds about 22LR velocities. Hard to get much cheaper than that!
BTW, these sound about like a 22rf and don't even bump the bolt, fun little round.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I got into airguns a year ago just by interest, very glad I did as was said, will make my real gun ammo go further. A Hatsan 135 QE in 30 caliber (50 lbs of cocking force for its air spring!) for $300 typically. Nice gun, 50.15 grain pellet at about 500 fps. Goes through 12 inches of ballistic gelatin. The other one is a big bore Sam Yang 45 Light Hunter PCP with dual air chambers. Looks like a triple barrel over-under shotgun. I got the best price the airgunsmith had seen on it in 10 years, had him tune it, put really good iron sights on it, trigger job, some other stuff. 200 grain bullets at 800 fps. Not bad. Hatsan Spark compressor, $400. Decommissioned fire department scuba tank was free from a friend, you could probably get one for a donation to your local fire department. Recommend keeping pellets at 850 fps, they start to act weird as they go transonic and above. You can pick up some nice red dots for these rifles cheap if you look around. I have two Vortex ones, one was about $200, the other $150. Fun stuff. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

" Post by 1894cfan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:34 pm

PLEASE pardon me if I'm hijacking this thread, That being said, quite some time ago I had picked up a couple cases of CCI 550 spm primers and about 10 pounds of Vectan Ba10 (which is a bit faster than Bullseye). Since I don't use small pistol magnum primers much these days, I figured I'd pick up a Lee C225-55-RF 55gr six cavity bullet mold and cast up a BUNCH of them and load into 223 cases using the 550s and 2.5gr Ba10 and turn my Mini14 into a straight pull bolt action running these rounds about 22LR velocities. Hard to get much cheaper than that!
BTW, these sound about like a 22rf and don't even bump the bolt, fun little round."
1894cfan........... I get where Your coming from ,............. I have a quantity of reloading supply's to last for several years. We can all load mouse fanny burp loads as long as We can get primers easily. this is about what alternatives that are out there. today I put a 3lb coffee can bottom up with a red target sticker and packed it with snow 45 yards from where I now sit. shooting out the window I fired a group of 7 shots that all hit the can , five were near the center about 3 inch group vertically strung . I shouldered the gun and one hand on the desk in front supporting the gun. it's in the 20's here today and windy as He** so I don't want to be outdoors.
I'll be 67 soon and to say I did this with iron sights from an air rifle is just CRAZY. I think this is just the beginning for Me. Good Luck.!