what scopes for scout position?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

what scopes for scout position?

Post by mickbr »

Can anyone suggest some scope models that suit the scout position on top eject lever guns? Does the eye relief require 'pistol scopes' or are there other scopes with enough eye relief? I have used red dots before, but thought I would try a scope this time. Trying to keep costs down as well, I like leupolds but will try anything if its half decent. Gun in question would be a rossi 92 wiith pearson rail I posted on another thread.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: what scopes for scout position?

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Most people go with either the Leupold 2.5x FX2 IER or the Burris Scout 2.75x
Many handgun scopes have too much eye relief. You need an intermediate eye relief scope.
I have both the Leupold and Burris and like them both. The Burris is slightly more compact than the Leupold, and also has a focus adjustable eyepiece. The Leupold has a fixed focus so keep this in mind if you have eye issues. Clarity is close, with maybe a slight edge to the Leupold.

There are variable versions of scopes, but in my opinion, they aren't worth the weight, size, and complexity. The eye relief is also wonkey on the variables.
People fall into the trap of thinking a scout scope equipped rifle is going to be tight group target rifle. NOT.
It is designed to be a both eyes open, quickly shouldered and target acquired, shooting tool. You use it much like a red dot. There is much better situational awareness while the rifle is on the shoulder.
I have found that most who don't like them don't understand the proper use of the concept. They are not without limitations, however. Scout scopes generally don't have as much light transmission as a quality scope with standard eye relief. Sometimes problems can be encountered with sun behind you and shining onto the ocular lens, but I personally have never had this issue.

This is totally opinion on my part......
If you are humping tight woods like we have here in Maine, with a small carbine like a 92 in a shorter range cartridge like .357 or 44, you are just as far ahead with a small red dot. Don't overwhelm the handling characteristics and weight of a slick little rifle. I have a couple set up with Burris Fastfire 3's or Trijicon RMRs that work fantastic.

Best of luck to you!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

mickbr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:57 am Can anyone suggest some scope models that suit the scout position on top eject lever guns? Does the eye relief require 'pistol scopes' or are there other scopes with enough eye relief?
Pistol scopes are EER (extended eye relief).
Scout scopes are usually IER (intermediate eye relief)
Your needs may vary.
Most scope manufacturers list eye relief in the specs so you can compare.

Google "IER scopes" or "intermediate eye relief scopes". Lots of choices out there.

I only have one levergun with a Scout scope. All the others sport some type of iron sight, mostly peeps: receiver, Skinner, tang.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Jay's hit it pretty well.

I have an older Burris 1.75 on a custom 10/22 that love, but I haven't had good luck w/ Burris since then. I do have a couple Vortex and Leupold scout scopes on two levers, a sporterized Nagant and an M1A Squad Scout. The Vortex scopes are variable but they stay on the lowest setting unless I'm doing something like counting tines on antlers. Where I hunt in PA there are antler restrictions and anything less than five points will cause problems. I find it a lot easier to turn up the magnification than digging around for a pair of binoculars. I really like the Vortex scopes, almost as much as the Leupold, but they are considerably cheaper. Pistol scopes will work but make you work far too hard to make it worth while. The mounts on my lever actions are both XS and really solid.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

thanks fellas gives me some options to check out. main reason for scope is the eyesight isnt great for seeing things at range. Targets blur into the background these days, also my astigmatisms give red dots a cracked windsheild effect. I see good through bolt rifle scopes so will see how an IER scope can do.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mickbr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:41 am thanks fellas gives me some options to check out. main reason for scope is the eyesight isnt great for seeing things at range. Targets blur into the background these days, also my astigmatisms give red dots a cracked windsheild effect. I see good through bolt rifle scopes so will see how an IER scope can do.
Honestly? I would just get the Leupold Scout Scope....IER Scopes are for handguns. I experimented with handgun scopes in the scout positions and if they worked at all the field of view was inferior to the dedicated scout scope.
One thing I noticed is that it's possible, and to your advantage, to use the scout scope with both eyes open. Any magnification above 2.5 makes that very hard to do.
All of the above is, of course, YMMV. Try them out before buying if you can.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

mickbr wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:41 am thanks fellas gives me some options to check out. main reason for scope is the eyesight isnt great for seeing things at range. Targets blur into the background these days, also my astigmatisms give red dots a cracked windsheild effect. I see good through bolt rifle scopes so will see how an IER scope can do.
Seems too simple, but try a green dot sight. Green isn't as affected by having an astigmatism as is red. I cannot use red dot sights, but green dot works great.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:24 pm Seems too simple, but try a green dot sight. Green isn't as affected by having an astigmatism as is red. I cannot use red dot sights, but green dot works great.
You too huh? I can't see a Red Dot unless it has a million volts....bright green really shows up...same as when hunting, bright orange has to be close to me in order to see it....I'm color blind
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not exactly color blind. My issue is actually the opposite. I see more colors than humans are supposed to see. I have extra color receptor nerve cells in my retina. It took me a very very long time to find out that other people usually cannot see scorpions glowing that sickly green at night. Rainbows have 4 different bands of color in each color. I see 28 separate colors in a rainbow. It causes a lot of trouble.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Blaine wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:02 pm
Honestly? I would just get the Leupold Scout Scope....IER Scopes are for handguns. I experimented with handgun scopes in the scout positions and if they worked at all the field of view was inferior to the dedicated scout scope.
One thing I noticed is that it's possible, and to your advantage, to use the scout scope with both eyes open. Any magnification above 2.5 makes that very hard to do.
EER scopes are for handguns. Normally.
Scout scopes are IER.

But everyone's needs are different.
If I ever scope a contender or Encore pistol again I'm going to try an IER instead of a normal handgun scope.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:26 pm
Blaine wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:02 pm
EER scopes are for handguns. Normally.
Scout scopes are IER.

But everyone's needs are different.
If I ever scope a contender or Encore pistol again I'm going to try an IER instead of a normal handgun scope.
You are correct. I transposed the terms.... :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Lots of good info for I'm considering the same. Thanks guys. Color blind info was interesting also as I've never heard the too many colors version.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I had a Burris on the 32 special I gave my son. I had a chance to carry it last fall one morning and hit a big running doe at about 45 yards. They work if you shoot them a little. I have a Leupold also and find it very good too.