New Rossi acquisition

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

New Rossi acquisition

Post by mickbr »

Nothing very remarkable or new by me here. Rossi 1892 stainless in 357 mag, 20" barrel, new CBC make. Decided to pick one of these up while they are still around. Will keep my current blued version company.

Also ordered one of these. Anyone have one, do they fit as easily as they make it sound?

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New Rossi acquisition

Post by Bronco »

Looks like fun ! Hope to get a range report !
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My son has one just like it. It's what we chose to take on our trip out through SD, Wyoming, Montana, and Canada to Alaska. Our companion for many miles in the Jeep.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Canadians OK with that?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:37 am The Canadians OK with that?
I worried all the way to the border buddy. I thought sure we would be detained at the least.
We crossed in Montana and they never so much as looked at it. Their big concern was if we had any handguns or ammo. My kid looked at the guy and said, "Well, the rifle is a .357, so what do you want me to tell you?" The guy never batted an eye. I was shocked.
Truth is, they were more concerned with the dog. Made sure she had been all cleared by a vet before crossing.
We pulled over a couple miles up the road, the kid loaded the Rossi back up and shoved it back in the scabbard hung over the back of the seat, and off we went.
We walked in and out of a pile of hotels with it and a great Dane trotting along with our motley gang and nobody said a word. Of course, I probably wouldn't have confronted us either! :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting, so they don't care about rifles.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Maybe they still think lever action firearms are not accurate or fast?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That's a nice clean looking gun.

Yes, I just mounted one of those scope mounts on a Rossi. I posted photos while I was mounting it on this forum a couple of weeks ago.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Nice !! We have one in .357 and another in 44-40 . I like them a lot and they are way better guns than a lot of the negative press they get from some. :D .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had one just the same, never had a problem with .357 or 38 spl. wish I could have kept it.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Those Pearson rails are great....I buy them buy the half dozen as Basil will give you a free one for every so many you buy...can't remember, maybe be "buy 4 get one free".

Depending on where your barrel dovetail is set will determine how easy it goes on.....there is a bit of adjustment built into them and a few times I had to chuck the rail in a drill press vise and mill out the longitudinal slot. You should be OK.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

YYCADM
Levergunner

Post by YYCADM »

I’m in Canada, and a Rossi 92 in .357 has been my go-to woods gun for many years. I’ve harvested a half dozen whitetail in as many years (we grow them bigger up here than say, Texas) and a Black bear boar that took deep offence at me being too close to a kill he’d just made. Lever guns are pretty innocuous up here, more so than many semi autos. AR’s are restricted weapons (can only be used at an approved range, require the same licence to own as any pistol), AK’s are prohibited, etc. but you can do what I did, buy a Rossi Ranch Hand, and put a $60 Boyds stock on it, and have the best dang bush gun you’ve ever seen, no SBR tax stamps of silly nonsense.
My Rossi has seen about 20,000 rounds through it in a decade, and it’s been flawless. it’s accurate to a minute of deer at 100 yds, every bit as accurate as my new Marlin Dark series .357 with a 16 1/4in barrel (despite our min. barrel length of 18in.) and the Rossi being 12in.
Overall length under 30in. 8rds capacity & a hair under 5 lbs loaded. Slim, incredibly fast to shoulder, and it packs a punch. I live in an area with plenty of bear, black & grizzlym cougar, wolves, coyote & bobcat...I’ve never felt undergunned with the .357
I would be a happy, happy man if I could carry my Pietta Thunderer along with my Rossi in the bush; handgun carry is an “absolutely NOT” allowed anywhere in the country; range use only. Dang shame...the Pietta is an absoutely stunning revolver, Birds head grips, case hardened frame, incredible bluing on the cylinder & barrel (5 1/2in.) extremely accurate, great smooth 4 click action and 2lb trigger. It’s one of the nicest guns I’ve ever owned
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks all, on the strength of that I might pick up a second pearons rail for the other gun too. I know 92's are meant to be a bit hit and miss with 38 special but for some reason these latest ones I am using rounds all the way down to 1.43" OAL and fat meplats. Maybe changes by CBC or I just get lucky?

PS I checked out your old thread Scott, just remembered thats where I got the idea for this rail in the first place. Thanks again!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

YYCADM wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:43 pm I’m in Canada, and a Rossi 92 in .357 has been my go-to woods gun for many years. I’ve harvested a half dozen whitetail in as many years (we grow them bigger up here than say, Texas) and a Black bear boar that took deep offence at me being too close to a kill he’d just made. Lever guns are pretty innocuous up here, more so than many semi autos. AR’s are restricted weapons (can only be used at an approved range, require the same licence to own as any pistol), AK’s are prohibited, etc. but you can do what I did, buy a Rossi Ranch Hand, and put a $60 Boyds stock on it, and have the best dang bush gun you’ve ever seen, no SBR tax stamps of silly nonsense.
My Rossi has seen about 20,000 rounds through it in a decade, and it’s been flawless. it’s accurate to a minute of deer at 100 yds, every bit as accurate as my new Marlin Dark series .357 with a 16 1/4in barrel (despite our min. barrel length of 18in.) and the Rossi being 12in.
Overall length under 30in. 8rds capacity & a hair under 5 lbs loaded. Slim, incredibly fast to shoulder, and it packs a punch. I live in an area with plenty of bear, black & grizzlym cougar, wolves, coyote & bobcat...I’ve never felt undergunned with the .357
I would be a happy, happy man if I could carry my Pietta Thunderer along with my Rossi in the bush; handgun carry is an “absolutely NOT” allowed anywhere in the country; range use only. Dang shame...the Pietta is an absoutely stunning revolver, Birds head grips, case hardened frame, incredible bluing on the cylinder & barrel (5 1/2in.) extremely accurate, great smooth 4 click action and 2lb trigger. It’s one of the nicest guns I’ve ever owned
Thanks for your post, enjoyable read.