Marlin 94 CST .357 Magnum.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin 94 CST .357 Magnum.

Post by 2ndovc »

Very happy I bought one of these when I did. I paid about $800 for mine and thought that was a little pricy.
This one just sold for over $2k! These guys are getting a little crazy.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889097271

You guys can dog the Remington/ Marlin but the one I have is one of the smoothest and accurate carbines I own. The first few years were rough but the later guns were pretty nice. I'm looking forward to what Ruger will do with them.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 94 CST .357 Magnum.

Post by 3leggedturtle »

No wont dog it, we had an octagon 45 Colt lever that was pretty nice. Yours Be great for pig hunting on the gulf coast. Are they synthetic stocks? Too lazy to do a search.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:07 am No wont dog it, we had an octagon 45 Colt lever that was pretty nice. Yours Be great for pig hunting on the gulf coast. Are they synthetic stocks? Too lazy to do a search.
They are actually hardwood, birch I think with a heavy texture finish. Pretty tough stuff. I whacked it pretty hard the other day putting it away and didn't leave a mark that I could see.

jb 8)

Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I did some gun trading over the summer (before Armslist decided to force everyone into Premium membership) and ended up with a current production laminated stock 336. I have been wanting something to interest my youngest son into trading me back my 788 .30-30.

I disassembled the 336 to do the normal smoothing up and was very pleasantly surprised at how good it already was. Of course except the trigger, that was uniformly heavy and creepy like almost everything these days. I didn't get it good enough for my silhouette matches but plenty good for deer hunting. The over all fit and finish was outstanding. The fellow who traded it to me said he bought it on a whim because it was just too pretty not to, then realized it was worth more to him as trading stock. We were both happy.

I've gotten over my desire for a 39 after shooting several at our matches. I'm pretty happy with my "new" Levermatic. I'm hoping Ruger builds a better one in their new line of Heritage Lever Action rifles. Yes Ruger, feel free to call them that.
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...Very happy I bought one of these when I did. I paid about $800 for mine and thought that was a little pricy. This one just sold for over $2k!..."

Whenever that happens to me, I find myself

a) happy I got the one I got when it was affordable, but
b) UNHAPPY that I didn't buy two of them, so I could have sold one off to fund the other, but
c) HONEST enough to admit that if I'd have bought two, I'd probably still be keeping both....

......however......

d) MAYBE if I'd have bought THREE.....then I'd keep two but actually sell one.... 8)

......naaaah.....I'd just have three (BTDT :oops: - it really is a disease... :( )

HOWEVER I do actually ONLY have one of the Marlin 357 CST's....and I really agree it is one of my nicest little leverguns. It has the extra-petite factor of a 16" Rossi with the Marlin design I like better. Plus, I can put my Mystic-X on it and it gets even quieter. The stock IS wood, but has some sort of dark textured finish (may be truck bed-paint for all I care, but it works). I wouldn't mind a chunk of 'rail' on the forend though, but it wouldn't be much effort to rasp a flat on it and screw in a chunk of picatinny rail for a light or whatever. Right now I have a short rail on the scope mount holes, and have a Burris Fastfire-II there with a LaserMax pistol laser in front of it; the combination is awesome in dim light (or no light if combined with a decent weapon light). Great barnyard/chore gun for the occasional pest one might encounter, as well as for teaching newbies how to shoot (short lightweight carbines are so much easier for novices to hold out on-target long enough to get a decent sight picture, and the red-dot facilitates fast, intuitive aiming).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Bought one of the last Remlins around here, in 357mag. Its put together fairly well. Dang thing even feeds wadcutters. I was surprised how well it shot.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Rockrat wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:54 pm Bought one of the last Remlins around here, in 357mag. Its put together fairly well. Dang thing even feeds wadcutters. I was surprised how well it shot.
I'm glad you said that, I didn't think anyone here would believe me. :lol: I told a guy that at the range last summer and he looked at me like I had horns growing out of my ears. Didn't have any to prove it, but put a box of them in my truck box in case I see him again,

jb 8)