Keith No. 5 out of an Italian Bisley?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Keith No. 5 out of an Italian Bisley?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wondering how complicated it would be to attach the trigger guard/strap from a standard Peacemaker to the rear grip frame of an Italian Bisley, then find someone to make the stocks. Anyone try this?
Just daydreaming, as Dixie has some Uberti Bisleys on sale for $495, but many find the trigger reach on the original Bisley grip no darned bueno.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Keith No. 5 out of an Italian Bisley?

Post by GunnyMack »

Only 1 way to find out Bill
(enabling,enabling,enabling...) :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Should be an easy swap, and buying a SAA pair of grips should be cheap and easy too.
I'm one who loves the look of Bisley grips, but they don't point well for me. I find they tend to point down in normal gripping, and I have to hold the gun up higher to get a proper sight picture. I've had a couple Bisley gripped SAA and sure wanted them to work, but finally gave up. One still haunts me as it was a nice Uberti Bisley in .45 Colt I bought from Steve Garbe, and it had been gone through by him and was slick as could be. A wonderfully accurate handgun, but the grip just felt wrong. In hindsight I should have done the same thing and simply swapped the grip frame and grips, and kept it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Grips fit different people in different ways.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Why not just buy a Ruger New Model Blackhawk Bisley and be done with it? Its grip frame is based upon the Keith #5 and almost identical. Mine in 45 (Long) Colt was the first gun I ever owned. Its at the top here with my custom CLC grips that are "waisted" or "hour glass" shaped to maintain a good grip under heavy recoil. The only drawback to the Ruger models and only for heavy recoiling ones, is the Ruger Bisley hammer. While its easier to reach in its profile generally speaking, it can bite your hand in magnum calibers. That's exactly why Freedom Arms didn't use the design in their Model 83 revolvers. The upward sweep of the hammer is to protect the web of your hand.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Do don't see why you couldnt. I very much like the 1860 Army grip frame on a SAA size gun. That extra length is just enough for my big paws. I need to file that front sight just a hair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

CowboyTutt wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:26 pm Why not just buy a Ruger New Model Blackhawk Bisley and be done with it? Its grip frame is based upon the Keith #5 and almost identical. Mine in 45 (Long) Colt was the first gun I ever owned. Its at the top here with my custom CLC grips that are "waisted" or "hour glass" shaped to maintain a good grip under heavy recoil. The only drawback to the Ruger models and only for heavy recoiling ones, is the Ruger Bisley hammer. While its easier to reach in its profile generally speaking, it can bite your hand in magnum calibers. That's exactly why Freedom Arms didn't use the design in their Model 83 revolvers. The upward sweep of the hammer is to protect the web of your hand.

-Tutt
What are the grips on the Kimber?
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Cowboy, the Rugers are scarce right now-- and awful spendy.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

What are the grips on the Kimber?
Stabilized CA Buckeye burl. I believe I got the blanks from Carey at CLC grips and sent them to Esmerelda O'Sheehan to cut them for me before she had her grips made in South America. Here's a pic of my other Bisley grips from CLC.

These are stabilized Karelian Birch I think Carey said they were. Kind of rare stuff I think.

Yes, it appears that Ruger Bisleys are scarce right now as everything firearms related.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Went to the usually well stocked local gun shop yesterday. There was not a handgun available.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Savage, I'm still on the hunt for bullets in stock. Found some for 303 Brit. Have enough powder and primers, bullets less so. Working towards more airgun stuff and bullets too. Just the times we are living in. -Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Think I have some .311 bullets but no 7.65X53 anymore. You are welcome to them.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:51 pm Think I have some .311 bullets but no 7.65X53 anymore. You are welcome to them.
Would consider what you have Fred. Just advise me, will pay handsome price if interested. Thanks Old Friend. You have always been a good friend and mentor to me. Thanks so much. -Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Free to you.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

No, not free Fred. I will pay. MIssed seeing you last trip to SoCal I understand why it couldn't work. Had great trip to family and Jim W. though. But missed you just the same. Did my best. Look forward to our next shooting, breakfast or maybe a pizza. -Tutt