New PCP Airgun Tech

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

New PCP Airgun Tech

Post by CowboyTutt »

I just found this. They managed to double the kinetic energy at same pressure using stock hammer spring in 50 caliber. Wow. -Tutt

https://youtu.be/3i7gWywVvqQ
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New PCP Airgun Tech

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Impressive numbers -- good enough for deer at reasonable range, I would sure think. That little FXAirguns radar chronograph is pretty darned cool.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've been toying with a 357 air rifle for years. Just can't bring myself to drop more than a grand on the gun let alone the same amount or more for a compressor.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gunny, the compressor and expense is what has kept me from enjoying the PCPs. I briefly owned a Benjamin Marauder in .25 -- quiet, accurate and powerful. But I was coming off back surgery, and trying to pump that reservoir full with the Hill hand pump was torture. Off she went.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Some of the big bore PCP rifles are sick expensive, I agree. The Sam Yang rifles are nice and reasonably priced (6-7 hundred). Also you can get a Hatsan Tactair mini compressor for $400 that directly fills the rifle. I have one, works fine. If you know any fireman see if they can get you a "retired" oxygen tank for a donation. That would be another way to go. In today's economy you can spend $400 on 1000 primers. Makes getting an airgun seem reasonable and no transfer fees or registration required. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Seems like a lot of fuss to only get essentially nonmagnum handgun performance
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I would agree with that, and I still prefer real rifles and handguns, make no mistake! But in the worst shortage in history of not just loaded ammo, but for the first time components like primers and bullets, maybe cases, if you want to keep shooting while preserving your components, it starts to make some sense for "plinking purposes".

Another nice option is the Hatsan 135 QE 30 caliber. It comes in dirt cheap and is a good rifle for hunting and plinking at shorter ranges. Really nicely made, could use a trigger job to lighten the pull maybe if possible but its still crisp.

This is one of the better articles I have read on the rifle.

thegunzone.com/hatsan-135-vortex-qe-review

Waaaaay cheaper too at usually $300. I got mine on pre-order a year ago, paid about $40 less than that but had to wait a month. They sell like hot dogs at Dodger Stadium.

A 50.15 JSB pellet will travel 12 inches in ballistic gelatin at a modest 500 fps. https://youtu.be/8f5GeApxPQc This is no toy. It will kill. I use a Vortex red dot on mine with the factory fiber optics co-witnessed. Nice set up.

Again, I prefer real guns, but I can get away with shooting the Hatsan in my back yard, at least so far, without using up precious primers and bullets. The Sam Yang 45 Light Hunter or 50 caliber Dragon is too loud while it might be technically legal in your area to shoot at home as an "air gun", the reality is the Sam Yang guns sound more like a real gun than an airgun. Neighbors most likely will be calling. Its really more like a real gun, than an airgun. And the CAP Dragon is even more so. Just some options for difficult times.

-Tutt