This was in my front yard this morning.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

This was in my front yard this morning.

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I sort of admire him when I think about how he works harder than the Antifa guys to make his living. I let him go on about his business.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: This was in my front yard this morning.

Post by piller »

Smells better than those ANTIFA psychos, too.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Can you imagine the stench in the "Chaz" while they were occupying it? I spent most of my young life doing police work in Houston, I don't even want to imagine what that bunch smelled like after a few days.

I was going to post something political about his appearance in my yard, but I don't want to insult the skunk. He never did anything to me.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:51 am
I was going to post something political about his appearance in my yard, but I don't want to insult the skunk. He never did anything to me.
Thanks for the laugh! :lol:

I had one of those buggers come down the trail at my old place heading straight at me w/o a care in the world. I got a few yards off to the side, pistol in hand incase he changed his mind but he was on a mission. My dad always told me about small animals; if you're not going to eat it or they aren't causing a problem, just leave them be.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:51 am Can you imagine the stench in the "Chaz" while they were occupying it?

I'll do it for ya.....I'd rather have that skunk as a neighbor than I would N.P.......smells better and is most likely smarter.

On that Chaz thing...yea...nasty..nasty...but what concerns me is how the "officials" let it go on for so long. I can see it now, Lincoln Logs laying all over the place......no toilet paper......mud on your shoes and it's all pavement...
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Skunks eat a lot of insects. They are beneficial when in small numbers. I just let them go about their business unless they are foaming at the mouth. Only seen that one time in my life.
D. Brian Casady
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

We have 3 or 4 skunks that visit us a few time's a week. They come in around dusk and root around for insects or grub's. No need to shoot something that's just trying to survive! I think they help eating lot's of bug's If I could ever figure out how to post photo's I'll put a few photo's that I took of them up.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Boys, it was not and is not my intent to shoot this little critter.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

One of these little guys wouldn't worry me too much.
I can't tolerate a trash panda, tho.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Skunks are funny animals. Just watching them walk with their duck like waddle make me laugh.

We have two different types here, one like Scotts and this one here who stops by regularly to eat the cats food. Once in a while they leave a blast but goes away after a day or two.

One of our cats keeping a close eye on Peppy La Pew.

Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Dad and his younger sister raised a baby skunk from before its eyes opened when they were kids. The dogs and cats treated it as just another member of the farm. It ate a lot of insects. It only sprayed one time. A friend of my Grandmother's came for a visit and brought her little dog with her. That dog was apparently a bit too loud and yappy. It was barking at the skunk and acting like it wanted to attack. The skunk gave the feet stamp warning, the little dog wouldn't quit. The skunk turned butt toward the dog and raised its tail. The dog moved forward and got a face full of spray. The little dog ran to the owner and started trying to get up in her arms. She got covered, too. Dad and his sister went and hid until that woman was long gone. The dogs and cats raised with it never messed with it. Some dogs, like some people, just do not know when to leave the skunks alone.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That's funny Piller.....

Wonder how a skunk aims his spray when the "barrel" is on the wrong side of his body. Ya think he has a mirror mounted tang sight on him?
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't know, and I do NOT plan on getting close enough to find out.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Many moons ago we were doing a renovation in the middle of town. I was up on a 40' wooden ladder painting the dormer. Im there painting away when all of a sudden the ladder takes to moving like it was bumped. No one around... I go back to painting. Again the bump and again. WTH is going on? I'm low on paint and start my way down when I realize a skunk is on its way UP! Ok don't panic what do I do. Drop the scraper- miss! Putty knife-miss again!! Finally I drizzle paint off the brush right into its face- didn't like that and the polecat decided to climb down, well it fell and waddled off. Guy sitting on his porch across the street was watching the whole time and laughing , at least I had a witness cuz the guys I was working with didn't believe me when I told them!
Skunks are cool critters , chemical warfare or not.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That's a good one Gunny.......at least you had the common sense to think it through before you took a tumble.......I think if push came to shove I just would have booted him off...you have more patience than me.

Forgot how many times I've been up a ladder and that Siamese cat we have follows me up. I've been twenty feet up a tree, standing on the branches and trimming, whatever.... and here comes the cat to keep me company.
Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I've had one around for several years now. I no longer have snail, slug or black widow problems. It's welcome here. As a plus it's very comfortable around people. We've walked past each other on a number of occasions without issue. It even gets along with my cats. A very good neighbor.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nothing wrong with that. Things like that are why I leave skunks alone. They are beneficial.
D. Brian Casady
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks to all of you for the kind replies to skunks in your neighborhood. I too, have skunks come visit on my back porch often in Ukiah, CA on the west side close to the hills. In 5-7 years, never had a problem with them. Ever. I think I have a ruptured gateway to underneath my house, and some of the neighbors cats used to go in and leave. Surprisingly never a problem with the skunks. Meanwhile, my district office at Willits Unified seems to have a huge skunk problem 2 times a year that gasses under the building. Don't understand why. I've never had a problem here. They just waddle around and leave at night. The new motion activated solar powered lights on the porch may be deterring critters like dear and cats and skunks and grey squirrels. Last night 3 deer, a doe and probably her two kids came by, during a light rain. Saw them full view, was neat. If I'm awake I'm alerted by the light and can look out and seem them. Really cool. No problems with critters here at night. My yard has long grass and two lots I can't keep up with mowing much. Animals like to bed down here. I have my own nature preserve. Love it. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Haven't been to Willits in years. I need to go back. Fun little town.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:21 pm That's funny Piller.....

Wonder how a skunk aims his spray when the "barrel" is on the wrong side of his body. Ya think he has a mirror mounted tang sight on him?
As some still-stinky Carharts I have can attest, goats have a pizzle...and can aim very well :shock:

...but it's a different body part and urine not musk: https://abcwildlife.com/blog/skunk-cont ... ing-facts/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pretty interesting Doc.......if you read the first paragraph it's almost like what people do.....for people to use at other people a direct threat results in a "shart" where if you just want to clear the room...or you vehicle, a fine mist will do.

I wonder if a skunk has to change from a tang sight to a scope as he or she ages.

Learn somethin' new everyday!---6

One of the funniest fanny burbs I ever heard was from Meghan Kelly when she worked for Fox....I heard it live.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7bqFzl9vY-I
Model A Uzi’s
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I wonder if a skunk has to change from a tang sight to a scope as he or she ages.
That was priceless Six and I laughed my butt off! -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Ages ago I went for a nighttime hike in the hills above my house and came across one of them little buggers, it stamped its front feet, and since I wasn't moving, it went around me and went on its way. Enjoyed seeing the little guy, but wasn't about to get sprayed! :mrgreen:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If a person need to trap a skunk the best bait is marsh mellows, skunks love em. Old timer here told me about using them when he was a nuisance trapper. This was the guy that caught mink with stove pipe and chicken blood- in the winter th mink would go into the stove pipe smelling a drop of chicken blood inside and lick it thus their tongue froze to the pipe. He got lots of mink that way.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Roknstevo
Levergunner

Post by Roknstevo »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:21 pm That's funny Piller.....

GPS