Piller, and other Texans

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Piller, and other Texans

Post by 3leggedturtle »

There is a gunshow in Waxahachi February 6th and 7th. Just happened to see this when looking at an unrelated topic. Anyone gonna go? Weather looks nice too. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Piller, and other Texans

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

It's a little far for me to travel for a gun show. But I will be there in spirit.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I probably will go. It is less than 15 miles.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ray wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:36 pm TEXAS is on my bucket list......

San Antonio and the alamo perhaps.....
If I recall the name correctly, not far from The Alamo is the "Hole In the Horn Saloon"; it's like a saloon and a museum combined. With dozens of stuffed animals and various western paraphernalia and history strewn all about. I got a beer at the bar and was able to stroll around the exhibits and take it all in. It was really neat! Definitely is worth the stop before or after The Alamo. I remember buying my Dad the "Songs of the Gunfighters" CD there, as he used to play the record all the time. The River Walk was really neat too.

I'm sure the Texans will chime in to add more ideas.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

In Waxahachie, there is a Catfish restaurant that is supposed to be haunted. Great catfish. Mexican food restaurant across from the Courthouse that is great. We had a big Renaissance Faire annually, but last year CoVid stopped it. It is scheduled this year April 10th to May 31st. Lots of fun.
D. Brian Casady
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Old No7 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:21 pm

If I recall the name correctly, not far from The Alamo is the "Hole In the Horn Saloon"; it's like a saloon and a museum combined. With dozens of stuffed animals and various western paraphernalia and history strewn all about. I got a beer at the bar and was able to stroll around the exhibits and take it all in. It was really neat! Definitely is worth the stop before or after The Alamo. I remember buying my Dad the "Songs of the Gunfighters" CD there, as he used to play the record all the time. The River Walk was really neat too.

Old No7
I believe you are talking about THE BUCKHORN SALOON. https://www.buckhornmuseum.com/

Actually has 2 museums ..the best (in my opinion) is The Texas Rangers Museum.

Good food too!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:49 pm There is a gunshow in Waxahachi February 6th and 7th. Just happened to see this when looking at an unrelated topic. Anyone gonna go? Weather looks nice too. Todd/3leg
Hmmm...I actually have that weekend off for once.
I need to sell some things. My safe won't close...
1st world problems :?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Texas Rangers Hall of Fame in Waco is one of the best museum I've seen in recent years. My wife loved it too.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Larkbill wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:13 am Texas Rangers Hall of Fame in Waco is one of the best museum I've seen in recent years. My wife loved it too.
Yes!
Although it did kill me to see Winchester 1895s listed as being .30-30 caliber :lol: I couldn't get a good enough look to see if it was actually a .30 Army, .30-'03 or .30-'06
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ray, its nice easy 2-4 day drive from Biloxi to Dallas taking the coast route. Lot of great beaches along the way to stop and walk on.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Old No7 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:21 pm

Old No7
Its called the Buckhorn Museum (used to be called the "Hall of Horns") and there are an amazing number mounted animals on the walls and in every room. There are also some great Texas Ranger exhibits from some of our more notorious Rangers.

You can also get a fried oreo in that bar. Good stuff.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Ranger Museum in Waco is certainly worth going through. If there is time after that, the Dr Pepper museum in Waco is worth the stop. Sort of funny to find out that Dr Pepper was called a Waco at first, and that it has been around the longest of any fizzy drink still in existence. In the museum's shop, you can get a Dr Pepper made from the syrup and watch the people behind the counter then put in the carbonated water and lightly stir it to mix it all together. They do it that way just to show visitors how it was done in the past.
If you are travelling down from the North to Waco and it is in the Morning, be sure to stop in the town of West, Texas and get a Kolache for breakfast. A Kolache is sort of a pig-in-a-blanket, but the dough is different. They are worth the stop.
Waco is home to Baylor college. I do not know if their campus still has the visitor center open.
D. Brian Casady
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

piller wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:01 pm The Ranger Museum in Waco is certainly worth going through. If there is time after that, the Dr Pepper museum in Waco is worth the stop. Sort of funny to find out that Dr Pepper was called a Waco at first, and that it has been around the longest of any fizzy drink still in existence. In the museum's shop, you can get a Dr Pepper made from the syrup and watch the people behind the counter then put in the carbonated water and lightly stir it to mix it all together. They do it that way just to show visitors how it was done in the past.
If you are travelling down from the North to Waco and it is in the Morning, be sure to stop in the town of West, Texas and get a Kolache for breakfast. A Kolache is sort of a pig-in-a-blanket, but the dough is different. They are worth the stop.
Waco is home to Baylor college. I do not know if their campus still has the visitor center open.
We were in the Dr. Pepper Museum too. Great fun. We found lunch kolaches in Fredericksburg. Another town no to be missed by museum geeks like us.

Post by piller »

Kolaches, from what I have been told, are sort of a Czech thing. I like them with a nod to the Texican foods and jalapeño in the sausage. There are quite a few museums in the area. I try to visit museums whenever I can.
D. Brian Casady